Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2021, 05:02 PM   #1121
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
You saying one fiat is stable against another?

I am saying the purchasing power of the dollar is going down.
outside of real estate your wholly wrong, prices have been stable for decades, in real terms most have dropped, buying a TV or most consumer goods has never been cheaper, we live like kings compared to our parents.

Of course what we also do is waste vast sums of money on things we would never have bothered with 20 years ago like Netflix or Spotify but that's a choice
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:22 PM   #1122
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
outside of real estate your wholly wrong, prices have been stable for decades
Source? The percentage of my paycheck that goes towards food, transportation, utilities, etc. is certainly higher than it used to be. Pointing to throw-away consumer electronics getting cheaper isn't exactly compelling. Also, the "living like kings compared to our parents" argument is a bit trite. I should hope so. My parents lived like kings compared to theirs because of things like indoor plumbing and in-home hearing. I should hope quality of increases as technology progresses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Of course what we also do is waste vast sums of money on things we would never have bothered with 20 years ago like Netflix or Spotify but that's a choice
Or more accurately, the things we "waste" our money on monthly has changed with technology.

Last time I checked I spent $0 a month on cable, a landline, a pager, CDs, movie rentals, VHS tapes, 8-tracks, phonograph needles, weekly deliveries of ice for my ice box, or whale fat to keep my lamps lit at night.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:39 PM   #1123
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You saying one fiat is stable against another?

I am saying the purchasing power of the dollar is going down.
In which the rate is generally pretty stable.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:50 PM   #1124
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
Source? The percentage of my paycheck that goes towards food, transportation, utilities, etc. is certainly higher than it used to be. Pointing to throw-away consumer electronics getting cheaper isn't exactly compelling. Also, the "living like kings compared to our parents" argument is a bit trite. I should hope so. My parents lived like kings compared to theirs because of things like indoor plumbing and in-home hearing. I should hope quality of increases as technology progresses.

Or more accurately, the things we "waste" our money on monthly has changed with technology.

Last time I checked I spent $0 a month on cable, a landline, a pager, CDs, movie rentals, VHS tapes, 8-tracks, phonograph needles, weekly deliveries of ice for my ice box, or whale fat to keep my lamps lit at night.
actually most of what you have listed is the start of our subscription culture, pagers and cable were the gateway drugs, they were pretty cheap and the price was stable, just to get you used to it but I grew up with no phone or pager and no cable, 3 channels was what we poor old saps had to watch, but it was free
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:48 PM   #1125
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post

I feel the same way but I suppose that could be anecdotal...I think the government also gets "creative" with how they report these numbers especially in the US. We have never seen money printing quite like this...it has to catch up eventually.

Last edited by dino7c; 03-12-2021 at 12:02 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:36 AM   #1126
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
As someone who honestly wants to know more, I find it very hard to find good resources for this.

Every video or article I find are clearly coming from biased sources that have skin in the game to see crypto values rise and seem like they're trying to sell me.

Any good links that give a more technical explanation of things without the fanclub vibes?
I agree. It seems most of the resources available for people wanting to educate themselves are either PhD written white papers laden with code ideas or mad money style youtubers.

I did find a good doc on prime that does a pretty good deep dive and includes one of the best explanations of how bitcoin exactly works. It's called Cryptopia: Bitcoin, Blockchains, and the future of the internet.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to karl262 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 11:55 AM   #1127
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forgetting about the long term debate for a second, $1400 stimulus checks are going out over the next week. Should see gains on all crypto but my money is on ETH and ADA with the biggest gains.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:21 PM   #1128
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

ADA has been taking some big losses lately. Of course I got in high like I always do. lol Still a good medium/long term play? BTC is on a nice run but it's definitely not helping ADA along at this point in time...
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2021, 02:03 PM   #1129
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

ADA is still bullish medium and long term. Should get a bump with the stimulus.
Old 03-13-2021, 02:05 PM   #1130
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Well here we go with the stimulus checks getting converted into BTC.

Almost at $78k CDN.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2021, 09:19 PM   #1131
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Well here we go with the stimulus checks getting converted into BTC.

Almost at $78k CDN.
Eth is rocking too
Old 03-13-2021, 10:43 PM   #1132
hmmhmmcamo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Eth is rocking too
Hey dino7c, I know google is my friend but I'd be interested to hear your opinion. I bought a small amount of bitcoin on coinbase a few years ago and didn't really pay attention to it until recently. My little bit of research so far is telling me I might not want to stay with coinbase...any suggestions on where I should go and the best way to transfer without getting fleeced with fees? Thanks.
hmmhmmcamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 12:05 PM   #1133
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmhmmcamo View Post
Hey dino7c, I know google is my friend but I'd be interested to hear your opinion. I bought a small amount of bitcoin on coinbase a few years ago and didn't really pay attention to it until recently. My little bit of research so far is telling me I might not want to stay with coinbase...any suggestions on where I should go and the best way to transfer without getting fleeced with fees? Thanks.
Are you just holding? If so you probably want a hardware wallet like a trezor.
Old 03-14-2021, 02:30 PM   #1134
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

What's everyone's thoughts on buying a stock for the currency vs the currency itself?

I don't have a crypto wallet or anything but can easily buy crypto stock with my Interactive broker account, is there any downside?
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:23 PM   #1135
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
What's everyone's thoughts on buying a stock for the currency vs the currency itself?

I don't have a crypto wallet or anything but can easily buy crypto stock with my Interactive broker account, is there any downside?
Are you referring to the ETF, like BTCC? If so, then yes I believe it’s smart to have some in your TFSA or RRSP so you can avoid capital gains. Otherwise I’d just have Bitcoin on a cold hardware wallet. The saying goes “not your keys, not your coins” which essentially means you don’t own the crypto on an ETF but you have an IOU in a round about way. A good example of this is what happened with Quadriga. But I’m hoping that these companies have better security procedures in place.
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:09 PM   #1136
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1371579329738575878
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:24 PM   #1137
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post

If its a long haul kind of position then I'd personally stay away from mining stocks as proof of work blockchains face all sorts of issues.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:39 PM   #1138
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Any miners on here looking for a rx580 8gb? I’ve got one in my collection but am wanting to move to all Nvidia cards. I’d be open for a trade.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:55 AM   #1139
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Sounds logical.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:36 AM   #1140
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

With what Jack Mallers is doing with Strike on the Lightning Network, it’s going to revolutionize the payment system. I’m sure Visa and MasterCard are watching.
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bitcoin , cryptocurrency , ethereum