Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2021, 03:25 PM   #2521
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Can anyone recommend a cheap-ish Mfi controller for Apple TV? Bonus points if it can also be used on Nintendo Switch.

My kid keeps wanting to try Apple Arcade games, most require a controller, but I can see him losing interest quickly. For $47 I can get something like this that claims to be cross-platform: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07HG51ZYK/

Any other recommendations for Apple TV?
8bitdo make some of the best 3rd party controllers around, and support xinput (Windows), dinput (Android), macOS and Switch

https://www.amazon.ca/8Bitdo-Bluetoo...2928273&sr=8-6

Last edited by Hemi-Cuda; 06-05-2021 at 03:27 PM.
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2021, 08:19 PM   #2522
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Question about lightening to
HDMI vs Apple TV to watch live tv.
I purchased a lightening to HDMI so I could watch playoff games on my phone to tv when we’re camping at daughters horse show. I’m getting sound but no picture on live tv (TSN/Sportsnet) but Netflix/Disney +/Amazon prime all work sound and picture.

Would using an Apple TV connected to tv and streamed from iPhone work instead of the lightening to HDMI?
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:25 PM   #2523
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Question about lightening to
HDMI vs Apple TV to watch live tv.
I purchased a lightening to HDMI so I could watch playoff games on my phone to tv when we’re camping at daughters horse show. I’m getting sound but no picture on live tv (TSN/Sportsnet) but Netflix/Disney +/Amazon prime all work sound and picture.

Would using an Apple TV connected to tv and streamed from iPhone work instead of the lightening to HDMI?
There's probably an HDCP issue with the live TV. An Apple TV will work using Airplay if the app supports it, or you could use your phone as a wifi hotspot and use the Apple TV apps.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:07 PM   #2524
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
There's probably an HDCP issue with the live TV. An Apple TV will work using Airplay if the app supports it, or you could use your phone as a wifi hotspot and use the Apple TV apps.
So getting an Apple TV instead and using airplay (no wifi or direct stream) from phone to allele tv wil fix this? My phone plays the games through ram/Sportsnet on data but not playing video through the HDMI to lightening
Old 06-06-2021, 10:10 PM   #2525
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
So getting an Apple TV instead and using airplay (no wifi or direct stream) from phone to allele tv wil fix this? My phone plays the games through ram/Sportsnet on data but not playing video through the HDMI to lightening
Yes, it should work as long as the app supports Airplay. You have to make sure both your phone and the Apple TV are not connected to wifi which shouldn’t be a problem when camping.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2021, 08:38 AM   #2526
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Quote:
Both ways should work. I have had better luck with the hotspot route in similar scenarios (more stable and your phone won't interrupt the stream if you get a call), but in theory AirPlay should also do the job.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2021, 12:10 PM   #2527
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Both ways should work. I have had better luck with the hotspot route in similar scenarios (more stable and your phone won't interrupt the stream if you get a call), but in theory AirPlay should also do the job.
So you would have the Sportsnet app on apple Tv already and use phone as hotspot? am i understanding you correctly?
The Following User Says Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2021, 12:43 PM   #2528
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
So you would have the Sportsnet app on apple Tv already and use phone as hotspot? am i understanding you correctly?
Yup. That’s what I would do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2021, 01:08 PM   #2529
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

so I tried just using the lightning to HDMI on sportsnet.ca and it worked so definitely something with the app. Now I don't have to rush out and buy an Apple TV.

Thanks for the comments.
The Following User Says Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2021, 03:27 PM   #2530
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Correct!

Quote:
so I tried just using the lightning to HDMI on sportsnet.ca and it worked so definitely something with the app. Now I don't have to rush out and buy an Apple TV.

Thanks for the comments.
The best way is the way that works. Happy viewing!
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:49 PM   #2531
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Have to say I maybe way late to the game, but installing Homebridge on a Rasberry Pi has been awesome. I had an Alexa ecosystem and frankly it sucks. Completely unreliable skills and Alexa devices are trojan adware.

I now have reliable commands with Wemo and my Ring on Home app. Love it!
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:50 PM   #2532
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll have to wade back through the thread to get some opinions when it launched, but looking for recommendation on new Macbook Air.

I'm coming off a mid 2012 Air that is still serving me well enough (just a few niggling inconveniences), but an intermittent screen problem and a few features becoming obsolete indicate it's on it's last legs. Frequent, but generally simple use...tech savvy to troubleshoot (e.g. I replaced the battery in this 2012 myself), but not really a geek.

In other words, not too worried about performance today, but moreso which will perform better in 4 years, 6 years, 8 years?

Debating:
Refurbished 13inch Intel i5 (March 2020) - $1214.
vs.
Refurbished 13inch M1 8core/8core (Nov 2020) - $1369

Most specs otherwise identical; seems like just a few keyboard changes and a touch ID sensor on the newer version.

My question is, what seems more more likely:
1. In 4-5 years I'll start running into compatibility issues from being stuck on Intel chip

2. Reliability problems at anytime with the first generation M1 (seems like a lot more technical eggs in one basket, so repairs might be more difficult/costly?)

Price isn't much of an issue, though I'm always happy to save a few bucks. New M1 8core/7core is $1299, but half size HDD might be limiting.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:20 PM   #2533
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get the m1 chip. It’ll last you another decade, at least. It’s a powerhouse.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2021, 08:15 AM   #2534
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I know Apple will still develop for Intel as the Mac Pro line will still be Intel based on its next release but if I had the choice I go M series all the way. Lack of ports is what hurts the Air not much else.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2021, 08:55 AM   #2535
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
I know Apple will still develop for Intel as the Mac Pro line will still be Intel based on its next release but if I had the choice I go M series all the way. Lack of ports is what hurts the Air not much else.
On that note, do 3rd party dongles solve that well enough?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:59 AM   #2536
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I've got a big hub or docking station or whatever that plugs into 1 USB-C port on my MBP and it gives me everything I need, so yeah they work fine, just some people would rather not have something hanging off their laptop.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2021, 01:40 PM   #2537
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
On that note, do 3rd party dongles solve that well enough?
Yeah, I used a few different ones over the years, Vavo or deevo something like that. Range around $50-$80 with extra USB, HDMI and network.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 01:09 PM   #2538
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Apple Music now has lossless, high res lossless, dolby atmos capabilities. Not sure when this went live but I only noticed a couple days ago.

You have to explicitly turn it on via settings/music to enable streaming and DL in lossless or high res lossless. You have to manually re-download all music that is eligible if you want the lossless/high res versions.

I can finally put my 256gb phone to good use. Went from about 80 to 180 gigs. It's a bit of a chore to delete and redownload all the music but it also allowed me to do a lot of housekeeping on my library.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 01:13 PM   #2539
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

That is as long as you’re not playing it via Bluetooth. Stays the way it was before if you do, are you using a wired connection to play music from your phone during the day?
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 01:22 PM   #2540
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Yeah that's the only thing that sucks, no lossless on BT. I only use a wired connection about half the time, if that, but I figure I might as well have it DL'd for when I want it.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: