Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha. Wow. Into no man's land.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:49 PM   #63
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I wonder what they're announcing attendance as these days. Actual butts in seats appears to be around 10k at best. I've never seen it this bad, they're paying badly for selling a declining roster as a playoff team and then rebuilding 2 years too late.

So much badwill built up in Toronto. It sounds like many fans in the city just despise everything about Shapiro and Atkins and what they were brought in for.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:52 PM   #64
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice to see Dwight Smith Jr still isn't particularly good defensively.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:53 PM   #65
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gurriel Jr's swing is too big and long.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:54 PM   #66
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Well they made it close anyways.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:55 PM   #67
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Well they made it interesting!!
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:20 PM   #68
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I wonder what they're announcing attendance as these days. Actual butts in seats appears to be around 10k at best. I've never seen it this bad, they're paying badly for selling a declining roster as a playoff team and then rebuilding 2 years too late.

So much badwill built up in Toronto. It sounds like many fans in the city just despise everything about Shapiro and Atkins and what they were brought in for.
Ya I feel this must be somewhat true. Their corporate doublespeak makes them extremely unlikeable/unapproachable amongst most Canadians who see through that B.S.; along with them talking about efficiency and how we can't compete with the Yanks and Red Sox financially (which is total bull####). I honestly don't mind the route they have taken with the team as they needed a reset, but the execution of their plan has left lot to be desired.
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2019, 08:56 AM   #69
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are at least six top of the rotation pitchers and a couple of high end relievers going UFA next year. If there is not some spending done, then I think that it will be an admission that Roger's will never again field a competitive team. They could absolutely be the most free spending team in the league if they wanted to.

Locking up Sanchez and Stroman, and then adding Gerrit Cole and Kenley Jansen (or whatever permutation) would do a lot to show the fans that they care.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:41 AM   #70
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1113103007716163585
Old 04-02-2019, 09:52 AM   #71
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
That's good.

If this team ever gets properly rebuilt over the next couple/few seasons, Kevin Pillar won't be a part of it. Might as well get more outfield reps and at bats for guys like Alford, etc.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:57 AM   #72
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
There are at least six top of the rotation pitchers and a couple of high end relievers going UFA next year. If there is not some spending done, then I think that it will be an admission that Roger's will never again field a competitive team. They could absolutely be the most free spending team in the league if they wanted to.

Locking up Sanchez and Stroman, and then adding Gerrit Cole and Kenley Jansen (or whatever permutation) would do a lot to show the fans that they care.
If no big name stars sign in Toronto, that doesn't neccesarily mean the Jays aren't willing to spend money. You can't wave a magic wand and make those players sign with you. If they are truly stars then the Jays won't be the only team willing to pay for them, so they might choose to sign elsewhere.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:57 AM   #73
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was quick.

Pillar traded for INF Alen Hanson, RHP Derek Law and RHP Jaun De Paula

Last edited by Inferno; 04-02-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2019, 10:07 AM   #74
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright Anthony Alford.

Here is your big chance.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:14 AM   #75
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hansen is another utility type player.

De Paula:

Quote:
Juan De Paula | RHP
Juan De Paula
Born: Sep 22, 1997
Bats: R Throws: R
Ht.: 6'3" Wt.: 165
Drafted: Signed: Dominican Republic, 2014.
Signed By: Eddy Toledo/Tim Kissner (Mariners).

Track Record: A $175,000 signing out of the Dominican Republic by the Mariners in 2014, De Paula has been traded twice in his career. He was acquired by the Giants in the August 2018 deal that sent Andrew McCutchen to the Yankees. After spending the majority of the last two seasons in the short-season New-York Penn League, the 21-year-old De Paula made only one start in the Giants organization in 2018, striking out nine and walking one in five innings with low Class A Augusta before the season ended.

Scouting Report: A skinny, 6-foot-3 righthander with plenty of room to add weight to his frame, De Paula has a plus fastball that sits in the mid-90s and touches 98 mph with above-average life. He has feel for both a changeup and curveball, although both pitches are currently below-average offerings with the chance to become average or above-average pitches in the future. De Paula's secondary pitches and overall control lack consistency at the moment, but that's widely to be expected from a 21-year-old with only one, late-season start in full-season ball.

The Future: De Paula has the three-pitch mix of a mid-rotation starter. He's raw and needs to improve his fringe-average control, but he'll receive much-needed experience at low Class A Augusta in 2019.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:20 AM   #76
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I really like what Pillar has meant to the Blue Jays, he made some of the greatest catches in the history of the franchise. That being said his defense is in decline and his bat has always been below average. Now is the time to get something for him.

Hansen gives Buffalo some depth seeing as how most the those players are known Toronto now. He can also come up if needed and play multiple positions.

Law gives the team some more bullpen arms which will be important if guys like Stroman and Sanchez end getting traded next.

De Paula looks like he has some upside, he is currently ranked as the Giants 19th best prospect. At 21 he has some room to grow, sounds like he has a good fastball but needs a bit of work on his other pitches, probably projects as a bullpen guy down the road.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2019, 11:05 AM   #77
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm happy that the Jays finally decided to pull the trigger. I didn't expect much in terms of deal (quality wise), but really again wished management got some high risk / high return guys. Again, it's quantity with little upside. I'm not ripping management on this one because we didn't expect much, but there's a need for quality I think most would agree, is needed.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:12 AM   #78
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Wow. Well that makes Stro-chez are longest tenured Blue Jays then, and also kinda sorta Dalton Pompey.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:51 AM   #79
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I'm happy that the Jays finally decided to pull the trigger. I didn't expect much in terms of deal (quality wise), but really again wished management got some high risk / high return guys. Again, it's quantity with little upside. I'm not ripping management on this one because we didn't expect much, but there's a need for quality I think most would agree, is needed.
Pillar by defensive metrics was below average in the field last year and he is a non factor at the plate. Getting some depth and a 21 year with a 98mph fastball is a clear win here. It is significantly more than I thought they would get. I was thinking at most they would have gotten a Derek Law, anything after that is a bonus.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2019, 12:22 PM   #80
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

OFFICIAL: We've acquired OF Sócrates Brito from the San Diego Padres in exchange for Minor League OF Rodrigo Orozco.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calculoso For This Useful Post: