Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-30-2018, 02:46 PM   #221
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was going to use slotted steel to build a platform and suspend it with that. The manual for the furnace says that is acceptable. But maybe I'll call the city first and see what they say.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:24 PM   #222
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Just built a new house and our builder installed 2 floor drains in our garage no problem. Not sure why its always such an issue with some builders in Calgary.
What do the drains tie into?
Old 08-30-2018, 04:53 PM   #223
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
What do the drains tie into?

Sanitary. They run under slab in the garage and then into the basement, where there is a clean out/trap, then down and out.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:02 PM   #224
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two big days of work, but gott'er done so I can slack tomorrow.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2018, 08:27 PM   #225
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Actually just waiting on a quote from the below Company here in town to see what I'm looking at

If I recall correctly, you’re looking at about $5K for a double. I saw a discussion with this guy on FB.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2018, 08:14 AM   #226
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Correct, quote came in just under $5k for a double garage.

Tough call, especially for something I didn't know I needed 2 weeks ago.....
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:22 AM   #227
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Correct, quote came in just under $5k for a double garage.

Tough call, especially for something I didn't know I needed 2 weeks ago.....
'Tis pricey. I don't think it would work well for my garage poured in 1969, anyway. Water runs to the outside in mine so containment mats or containment socks are the only things that work, then just squeegeeing out slush/water.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:34 AM   #228
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
'Tis pricey. I don't think it would work well for my garage poured in 1969, anyway. Water runs to the outside in mine so containment mats or containment socks are the only things that work, then just squeegeeing out slush/water.
Ya, mine runs a bit all over the place too, but eventually makes it way to the door. I squeegee mine out as well, but I have a feeling that constant freeze/thaw from the water is really tough on my exposed aggregate driveway. Seems to be wearing extreme rapidly since I started heating and squeegeeing out the garage
Old 09-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #229
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I heat my garage with one of these:

I had to run a gas line to my detached garage. I dug the trench and a gas fitter did the rest. An electrician had to run electricity to it, and a furnace company had to install all the ducting and hook it up. I was able to hang it myself as it was pretty easy to do when the rafters were exposed before I finished things.

I can't really remember how much everything was, but nothing was crazy expensive, the heater works great and it's amazing to have a heated garage.
I'm seeing these guys will do basically the whole job for under $2K. Pretty reasonable, I think?

http://garageheaterscalgary.ca/

The install isn't what gets me, I'm really just wondering what it'd cost to actually heat for the winter. Seems like it'd be a significant increase in my Enmax bill even if I'm just maintaining the temperature above freezing.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:14 AM   #230
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was actually wondering about that, and getting a thermostat. I'd like one with wifi that I can turn up without leaving the house, but that I can maintain a temp in the 0-5 range but all the ones I see don't go nearly that low. Anyone know an option for that?
Old 09-05-2018, 11:38 AM   #231
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I'm seeing these guys will do basically the whole job for under $2K. Pretty reasonable, I think?

The install isn't what gets me, I'm really just wondering what it'd cost to actually heat for the winter. Seems like it'd be a significant increase in my Enmax bill even if I'm just maintaining the temperature above freezing.
Seems reasonable to me, too.

I keep it at 10 degrees all the time and bump it up when I'm in it if I need to, but I really don't know what I spend to heat it. Hopefully somebody else has done the math.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #232
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I was actually wondering about that, and getting a thermostat. I'd like one with wifi that I can turn up without leaving the house, but that I can maintain a temp in the 0-5 range but all the ones I see don't go nearly that low. Anyone know an option for that?
I'm afraid the only low temp thermostat I could find period is a Honeywell CT50K. And I had to order it off Amazon.com from the states.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywel...1028/202039852

Goes to 1.5C, which is my usual winter temp. The usual home thermostat only goes to 4.5, probably to prevent burst pipes.

I wouldn't worry about wifi. These Hot Dawg/ Reznor ceiling mounted units will warm a garage from 0-15 in about 5 minutes.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2018, 09:54 AM   #233
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

But when it's -20, I want to warm up the garage from the house so I can wax my skis in comfort!

Thanks for that thermostat, I've done a little looknig but haven't found anything. If I do, I'll post it here.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:10 AM   #234
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
But when it's -20, I want to warm up the garage from the house so I can wax my skis in comfort!

Thanks for that thermostat, I've done a little looknig but haven't found anything. If I do, I'll post it here.
Waxing skis/boards is one of the most fun things to do with a heated garage. It's also another good reason to install a bathroom fan in there.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:17 AM   #235
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been debating putting some sort of extractor fan in for soldering and stuff, good idea for waxing too. I'll have to think about that before I insulate...
Old 09-07-2018, 10:27 AM   #236
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Amazon Canada has that thermostat now
https://www.amazon.ca/Honeywell-CT50.../dp/B002Z7EBCE
Old 09-07-2018, 11:31 AM   #237
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Looks like Amazon Canada has that thermostat now
https://www.amazon.ca/Honeywell-CT50.../dp/B002Z7EBCE
Maybe I should grab that. Sounds like keeping my garage at 10 is overkill compared to what everyone else is doing.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:40 PM   #238
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe I should grab that. Sounds like keeping my garage at 10 is overkill compared to what everyone else is doing.
I keep mine at 9.5 and its glorious. Its certainly not hot, but I can get into my car, drive downtown, park in my heated parkade and never deal with the elements. Its what the 21st century is about!

Sure I could keep it at 1 degree, but why? An extra $20 in natural gas over a season is nothing
Old 09-14-2018, 02:00 PM   #239
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

I called these guys up and they showed up with 4 guys and had the job done in no time. Very clean install. Even painted the Gas pipe on the outside of the house to match my wood siding.

Highly recommend.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prarieboy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2018, 08:58 AM   #240
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know someone who would install a garage heater if I supplied the unit?
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy , garage , oh ####