Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #1
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Why is the market going crazy?

Just some anecdotal stories that I've been hearing from friends about places selling in 1 day, bidding wars, houses selling for way over list (like $50-100k). What's driving this in Calgary specifically? I get that interest rates are great but other markets are not experiencing this kind of activity as far as I know.

Is the same kind of sales activity happening in condos as well as houses?
Old 02-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #2
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

It has been like this for nearly a year. Media always takes a while to report and then they drive it up even more.
Inventory continues to remain very low. Everyone has their own take however inventory was fairly low during the flood and the flood brought numerous buyers to the market to make a already low number even lower. Im still working with buyers from 8+ months ago waiting for the perfect place to come up. Roughly 6 of my last 10 offers written have resulted in multiple offers. As a positive, I have not seen people being foolish with their money and offering ridiculous amounts to win the bid.
I created a thread about a month ago telling people that you may want to consider listing now and not waiting for the spring.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #3
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm in the market as a buyer, and it is getting a little silly. Places go in less than a day on multiple offers. Some offers are with no conditions.

I'm glad that I'm more robotic than emotional when it comes to buying. I absolutely refuse to get sucked into the madness.

If it mean sitting on the sidelines for awhile then so be it. Although faint whispers from the "rising rates" monster are starting to be heard again.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Are these isolated incidents? Because I saw a few listing on my streets that never sold.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:53 PM   #5
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Condos too, then? All my anecdotal stories have been about single family homes, specifically.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
lorenavedon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

there isn't a shortage of listings. There is a shortage of quality listings at fair prices that cater to middle class people that want to buy a place to live in. Those are the ones that sell in 15 minutes with multiple offers. Prices are high and buyers are picky so they end up fighting over the same rare places instead of settling for the thousands of over priced mediocre listings that are aplenty. You can't go on realtor.ca and tell me there's a shortage of listings. Once sellers face reality that buyers aren't going to pay stupid prices for their places, lower prices to reflect actual market prices that sell, then the so called "shortage" will be alleviated.
The Following User Says Thank You to lorenavedon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #7
Hessen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Calgary has plenty of listings as do the outer areas (mine in Okotoks). It has to do more with houses per price range. Listings in the $400k range are going fast while ones above are slower to sell.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:19 PM   #8
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Listings in the 400k range are always quick to go....its the most affordable sfh price bracket and has the highest demand.
To say the ones priced higher take longer is not true. There is a ton of demand for luxury properties in this city right now.

There is a shortage of listings. Try telling buyer clientele that there is no shortage when we have seen everything available and are stuck waiting on something new. When a new listing hits, we have 24 hours to get in or it can be too late.

This type of market brings many unrealistic sellers who hear about the OP's thread and then list at a amount that is not going to bring an offer. They sit on the market for 3 months and then the listing is beat up and has very little interest.

info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 02-25-2014, 02:58 PM   #9
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

As others mentioned, I think the biggest factor is lack of inventory, especially in that mid-range price point.

Our economy is still attracting many people (low supply, high demand):

Alberta economy attracting more people
Demographic growth almost three times higher than national average

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...511/story.html

“Net migration is forecast to total 30,000 in 2013, up from 29,309 in 2012. In 2014, net migration is forecast to decline to 23,000. Improving economic opportunities in other jurisdictions will moderate net migration, but gains are still expected from international and interprovincial sources.”

“These migrants tend to be people in their 20s and often at the age of starting young families,” he said. “A young population brings both economic benefits and challenges. The benefits are that young people spend disproportionately more than older people. They tend to be taking out mortgages on houses and spending money on things like eating out, new clothes for children, and recreational activities.

Last edited by troutman; 02-25-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #10
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
There is a ton of demand for luxury properties in this city right now.
What's the definition for luxury properties right now? Those over a million bucks?
Old 02-26-2014, 09:13 AM   #11
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
What's the definition for luxury properties right now? Those over a million bucks?
Correct!

info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 02-26-2014, 09:19 AM   #12
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
Correct!
That's scary. I know a few 30 year old couples buying $600K-$700K houses as their first "starter home". Not sure how much equities they have in the house but I suspect the $1M luxury property definition won't hold true for long.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:41 AM   #13
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://issuu.com/wall2wall/docs/cal_...598696/6736738

I got this Luxury Living in Calgary magazine delivered to my mailbox yesterday. Not sure why - I don't live in a Luxury Home. There are some absurd homes in this magazine. Indoor swimming pools, $100K home theaters etc.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:50 AM   #14
something
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Girlfriend and I just bought into a place, moving in Friday.

We have missed out on previous opportunities, as some places have been going quick. The condo we just moved into, we were motivated to offer and do the deal quick since we didn't want to miss out again. Still, place was on the market for 3 weeks and we were able to negotiate for what we consider a reasonable price. It was a condo, and we suspect the condo fees (480/mth) had something to do with our ability to ask for a lower price.

Our experience is that yes, it is hectic. Regular listings seem to go quick, it was unusual for any of our places to sit on the market for even close to a month. Many places going in a matter of a week or two. and of three offers, 2 of them had more than one other competing offer at the end of the day.

Sorry Realtor1, would have asked for help had I not had a family friend involved!
The Following User Says Thank You to something For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #15
something
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenavedon View Post
there isn't a shortage of listings. There is a shortage of quality listings at fair prices that cater to middle class people that want to buy a place to live in. Those are the ones that sell in 15 minutes with multiple offers. Prices are high and buyers are picky so they end up fighting over the same rare places instead of settling for the thousands of over priced mediocre listings that are aplenty. You can't go on realtor.ca and tell me there's a shortage of listings. Once sellers face reality that buyers aren't going to pay stupid prices for their places, lower prices to reflect actual market prices that sell, then the so called "shortage" will be alleviated.
This is bang on from our experience. There were many places available but at unreasonably inflated prices. They would sit and sit. Made me wonder about our place...

We negotiated down to 238 on this (Keep in mind the condo fees):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_1U3yWSY-w
Old 02-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #16
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

^ sent pm re that property

info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 02-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #17
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but is there ever a time to consider selling, taking a profit and renting for a while. Is it too unpredictable to expect prices to come down to 2006 levels?
Old 02-26-2014, 11:44 AM   #18
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

I have thought of the same thing Wormius however a major profit would need to be had after considering all the expenses/trouble involved/rent/risking the market to come down.
Just my 0.02

info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 02-26-2014, 12:05 PM   #19
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

What would you think a major profit would have to be to make it worth it? I am not certain, but I think we would be somewhere around $200k since we bought. Maybe that's not enough to make the jump. It's depressing to have the equity there now, and thinking it could diminish before we decide to move anyway.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #20
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by something View Post
We negotiated down to 238 on this (Keep in mind the condo fees):
Seems to be a steal for $238K. Make sure you read the board meeting minutes to make sure there's nothing you need to pay to fix.