Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-16-2017, 10:29 AM   #21
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When I finished my garage, I idiotically didn't think to add more outlets. I have one entire wall without outlets that frustrates me on occasion. Follow Sliver's advice - you can't have too many.

I also didn't think about wiring for a heater, thermostat etc. Another mistake.

Good luck with your new garage!
Simon96Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon96Taco For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 10:29 AM   #22
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I have just over 10 feet and wish I had an extra foot or two for a kick Ass lift. Unfortunately I don't think my slab is adequate for a big lift anyways. Regarding the slab/floor, one thing that I would recommend would be to put a channel down the middle for drainage and have the slab slope slightly into that channel. In the winter on really snowy days it can become a huge mess in the garage if you bring in a couple vehicles that are snow covered. I've resorted to brushing off heavy snow from my vehicles before parking them which can suck when it is cold outside.
Interesting idea, but I have read you can't do that in Calgary without tying into the sewage system. Going tall would be nice, but I don't want to shade to much of the yard. I don't ever plan on putting a lift in, but 9" ceilings with the scissor truss should give me enough height to manoeuvre 4x8 sheets of wood.

I'll also be putting in skylights, as I can't put a window in on the property line side.

Planning just gave me an email address for my alley grade question, so I'll have to wait on that...
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:36 AM   #23
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gah, I need to get my garage finished. Probably will just end up paying someone else to do it, though.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:38 AM   #24
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know a lot about how municipalities work and there is no chance they regrade the alley for you.

I've also done a lot of concrete work in a previous life and you could set your floor lower and build a concrete curb on which to place the walls. If you do this be sure to pour the curb and the floor as one piece so water doesn't come in as would happen if you poured them separately. I've done this so feel free to message questions.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:44 AM   #25
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I know a lot about how municipalities work and there is no chance they regrade the alley for you.

I've also done a lot of concrete work in a previous life and you could set your floor lower and build a concrete curb on which to place the walls. If you do this be sure to pour the curb and the floor as one piece so water doesn't come in as would happen if you poured them separately. I've done this so feel free to message questions.
My friend is a concrete guy and he said if I did the stub wall it would have to be a separate pour otherwise the weight would force it out the bottom.

I did get them do dump a bunch of fill in the alley last year and it raised it about 6", so it's not impossible...I'm going to find out what the alley should be graded to, and hopefully get them to re-establish the original grade, as it has lost a lot of material over the years. It's main grade is to the east at probably 12°, and ideally it should be flat, but it also slopes towards my yard which creates a runoff trench.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:46 AM   #26
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
My friend is a concrete guy and he said if I did the stub wall it would have to be a separate pour otherwise the weight would force it out the bottom.

I did get them do dump a bunch of fill in the alley last year and it raised it about 6", so it's not impossible...I'm going to find out what the alley should be graded to, and hopefully get them to re-establish the original grade, as it has lost a lot of material over the years. It's main grade is to the east at probably 12°, and ideally it should be flat, but it also slopes towards my yard which creates a runoff trench.
Yeah I don't think you'll have a big problem getting them to respond to your issue. I complained two years ago about deteriorated asphalt (paved alley) right by my apron that was causing water to pool in front of my garage and they came out within the month to repair.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:09 AM   #27
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw a garage in Silver Springs (I think it was) where they had built a patio/BBQ area on top of the garage. I thought the concept was awesome.

I don't know if you'd want to go as far as to add that to your project scope though.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:15 AM   #28
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You have to get a development permit for that, and as far as I know under most circumstances it isn't allowed. Given my lot layout it wouldn't make much sense anyway.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:21 AM   #29
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon96Taco View Post
When I finished my garage, I idiotically didn't think to add more outlets. I have one entire wall without outlets that frustrates me on occasion. Follow Sliver's advice - you can't have too many.

I also didn't think about wiring for a heater, thermostat etc. Another mistake.

Good luck with your new garage!
Agree with both you and Sliver; plug ins everywhere! I love my garage, but this was the one big mistake I made. We custom built the house and garage at the same time and there literally thousands of decisions to be made, and I totally didn't realize that I would want far more plug ins than are standard in a garage.

The other problem I have is that I haven't been able to convince my wife that we don't need her car. If we sold it I can greatly expand the shop area of the garage...

Maybe Sliver has a suggestion for this as well!
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:30 AM   #30
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm thinking instead of drywall I just replace it with plugs. A wall of outlets!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 11:36 AM   #31
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I just insulated and drywalled my garage. I installed a plug every 48" along both side walls.

Costs a couple bucks for an outlet, and you'll be thankful to have them.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #32
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully you have better luck with your apron / grade situation than I did on a project with the City.

Last year I submitted a new single family with a 3 car detached garage. The lane/property sloped 2 feet side to side (parallel to the overhead doors) over a 50' wide lot. With a flat 30' wide garage, the apron would have been almost flat at one end and about 30% grade at the other end, but really averaging 15% and the alley grade could have been raised with some new gravel without affecting any other property/drainage to get us to 0%-20% & 10% average. The City said no chance, we had to work with the current alley grade situation and we were forced to make our apron 10% max at any point. This is only 2 3/8" rise if your garage is .6m from property line. Our options from the City were:
1. Push the garage further back into the lot until the 10% max grade works.
2. Tilt your garage sideways so it follows the alley. Yes. Really.
3. Step each bay of the garage down to follow the grade.

So now the client has a 6" step inside their garage between cars. Sigh.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 11:52 AM   #33
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Always do a 6" curb. Otherwise you have water penetration into your wall from the melt inside and you have to bring your exterior finish too close to grade on the outside. It's done all the time so your concrete guy is just being difficult.

Had a client in Crescent Heights who replaced his walls on slab garage after only a few years because the sill plates and stucco had deteriorated all the way around.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:53 AM   #34
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for that info. Is the max 10% apron grade a requirement by the city?
Old 05-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #35
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Always do a 6" curb. Otherwise you have water penetration into your wall from the melt inside and you have to bring your exterior finish too close to grade on the outside. It's done all the time so your concrete guy is just being difficult.

Had a client in Crescent Heights who replaced his walls on slab garage after only a few years because the sill plates and stucco had deteriorated all the way around.
When I was talking to him it was going to be a 1-2 ft stub wall so maybe that made the difference?
Old 05-16-2017, 11:58 AM   #36
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 12:03 PM   #37
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Topfiverecords, who do you talk to at the city for the alley issues? I got a bit of a run around this morning, and have ended up with my favourite dept. in Calgary, the Roads dept. Is that who I should deal with for the alley issue?
Old 05-16-2017, 12:07 PM   #38
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
I'm thinking instead of drywall I just replace it with plugs. A wall of outlets!
Have you considered using OSB instead of drywall? I used that so I can just screw stuff into the walls without worry of drywall plugs and effing up the walls. Plus it's easier to install and doesn't get dented/damaged like drywall.

Instead of painting, I put up 18oz fire-######ant vinyl, which is the fabric used to divide wash bays in a car wash. My friend from work helped me put it up and it only took us a couple of hours. Trim on the top and bottom finished it off and hid the staples. It's one continuous piece, too, so that alone looks pretty neat in there.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 12:13 PM   #39
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was just looking at the OSB option, but wasn't sure how to finish it. Thanks for the idea! I get the feeling most of the interior will be a next year project. To many complications to work around right now. Wish I had a flat lot!
Old 05-16-2017, 12:15 PM   #40
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for that info. Is the max 10% apron grade a requirement by the city?
Yes I believe so. I dug back into the official wording we received in a DP review.

Quote:
The garage or parking pad driveway apron shall not exceed 10%. (Note the garage or parking pad slab may have to be split into two sections; or the garage set back further into the property to achieve the required apron grades under 10%.) Also, the grade of the garage or parking pad slab shall not exceed 4% in any direction.
Hopefully they're more lenient for your situation, but keep in mind there's going to be a max apron grade before driving up it is going to be difficult.

You don't want this

Tags
diy , garage , oh ####