Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Miscellaneous > Help/Suggestions
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2023, 06:37 PM   #21
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Is a fist going to.come out of my screen next and bit ch slap me next? Or will I have a stroke first??
These ads are rectal discomfort times 100000
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2023, 07:29 PM   #22
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

These ads are actively decreasing my level of enjoyment reading this forum. I can appreciate testing them out but my personal feedback would be that they are awful and a detriment to the website.

I hope they don’t stick around.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 07:58 PM   #23
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Side ads take up a third of the page on my phone (landscape orientation) and the bottom ad sticks even with the mobile keyboard leaving very little visible space. I purposely whitelisted CP on my pc but if these ads stick, ad block is going back on
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 08:32 PM   #24
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

I had to download an ad blocker browser just to make the site useable
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 09:09 PM   #25
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Put me in dislike these version of the ads. Especially the bottom. I mostly use the mobile browser and it’s pretty distracting

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2023, 09:15 PM   #26
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

These ads are wretched. Surely the community would pitch in some dollars to help run things. A yearly donation drive would garner a decent amount of cash I would think.

It's annoying enough browsing this forum and its ancient software. These ads might just be the end of my time here.

/endrant
Cycling76er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 10:31 PM   #27
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's so bad on mobile, I use chrome (only way I use the site)

Bottom ad stretches the screen way too wide. Side ad is bigger than the actual site UI

A giant ad that you have to click the tiny x to get to the site? Brutal

I'm pretty indifferent, but I think these ads lower the quality of the site to such a quality you'll see a pretty noticable drop in visits
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 05:12 AM   #28
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is what we get for the constant, relentless bickering in threads! We're sorry, Photon!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 07:06 AM   #29
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well at least they aren’t sports gambling ads.

Edit- doh, nevermind…
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 07:07 AM   #30
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well, this certainly makes this place exponentially worse.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 07:24 AM   #31
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I will pay extra for an ad free experience.

I already do this for Youtube and Hulu. I am willing to do it here as well. Just tell me how.

Also (Bug) - I attempted to thank a post in the Main forum. A full page ad for a Alfa Romeo Tonale came up. I attempted to close it, and got redirected to a page that said "Sutterbrother is not authorized to view this page".

I'm using Chrome.

I attempted to back out, and the CP page reloaded. Would have sucked if I was writing an essay to post or whatnot.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 07:37 AM   #32
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
I will pay extra for an ad free experience.

I already do this for Youtube and Hulu. I am willing to do it here as well. Just tell me how.

Also (Bug) - I attempted to thank a post in the Main forum. A full page ad for a Alfa Romeo Tonale came up. I attempted to close it, and got redirected to a page that said "Sutterbrother is not authorized to view this page".

I'm using Chrome.

I attempted to back out, and the CP page reloaded. Would have sucked if I was writing an essay to post or whatnot.
What would you be paying for? Serious question. This is user driven content… nobody is on payroll here. It’s not comparable at all to the services you’ve named. They also attract new users all the time, due to the nature of them and the content. This site doesn’t.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 07:52 AM   #33
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
What would you be paying for? Serious question. This is user driven content… nobody is on payroll here. It’s not comparable at all to the services you’ve named. They also attract new users all the time, due to the nature of them and the content. This site doesn’t.
He'd be paying to not see ads. Calgarypuck premium! I'd donate to not see the ads that were tested
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2023, 07:57 AM   #34
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Correct. I generally try to avoid ads, and am happy to pay to do so. If there isn't a payment option to avoid them, I will generally use alternate means.

Ads are irritating and an invasion of privacy as they track you.

That said - I support this site, and understand it takes money to run it. I would happily provide money directly if the opportunity were to exist.

I would even suggest an annual NPR style fundraiser would (possibly?) outstrip whatever is brought in by the banners here. I could be way off base there, but would love the chance to see how it would do.

The membership of this site is generally old, and generally deeply invested in it. I know for me, it's basically the only social media that I use.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 08:19 AM   #35
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
Correct. I generally try to avoid ads, and am happy to pay to do so. If there isn't a payment option to avoid them, I will generally use alternate means.

Ads are irritating and an invasion of privacy as they track you.

That said - I support this site, and understand it takes money to run it. I would happily provide money directly if the opportunity were to exist.

I would even suggest an annual NPR style fundraiser would (possibly?) outstrip whatever is brought in by the banners here. I could be way off base there, but would love the chance to see how it would do.

The membership of this site is generally old, and generally deeply invested in it. I know for me, it's basically the only social media that I use.
Same, but for me it has as much to do with the non-intrusiveness of the site as it does the content. And there were already ads. I just don’t use sites that nickel and dime me, I’m not paying to avoid them. I’ll just avoid them.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2023, 08:33 AM   #36
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Same, but for me it has as much to do with the non-intrusiveness of the site as it does the content. And there were already ads. I just don’t use sites that nickel and dime me, I’m not paying to avoid them. I’ll just avoid them.
I’m trying to imagine how well adding brutally intrusive ads and then offering a paid subscription to avoid them would go.

I feel like… not well. But I imagine people will just simply start to avoid the site. If you loved the outdated forum software from 2004, check out the new and improved outdated forum software from 2004… now with full screen pop ups!
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2023, 11:59 AM   #37
monkey brewery
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I have a premium account to another forum where I either pay either 25 or 30 usd annually for no ads. Interestingly, that's what they claim each user roughly generates in a year with the ads.
monkey brewery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 12:01 PM   #38
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

More feedback per photon’s request: these ads are dog####. Now a video popup that’s as bad as some sketchy gaming site is auto playing on mobile and covering the bottom right quarter of the screen? Add to that the full screen ad that appears periodically? Absolute trash. There has to be a better way to drive ad revenue outside of making the website objectively garbage.

Edit: as I post that a new autoplay video ad came up taking over the entire middle of my screen. Good lord figure it out.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2023, 01:13 PM   #39
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

These new pop ups and the bottom banner ad are terrible. Unless the goal is to further reduce the user base. In that case they will work great!
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 01:37 PM   #40
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I see they are back after a brief respite. I had hope that they wouldn't be turned back on.
Cycling76er is offline   Reply With Quote