Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2023, 10:41 AM   #21
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
You generally don’t develop a property by buying multiple pieces of land and deciding afterwards which one you want to develop. No developer would ever follow this strategy, it’s either a misquote or more BS from these guys.
The question at this point is which piece of land he will be allowed to develop. No developer would ever willingly follow this strategy, but at this point all the normal strategies have failed.
Old 08-09-2023, 10:42 AM   #22
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The article literally states his goal “is to have multiple sites under contract”.

But executing multiple LOI’s with intent to only close on one? Again no reputable businessperson does this either.
Multiple sites under contract means that he has control over a number of sites.

Since it's no secret he's doing that, there is nothing disreputable about it. perhaps he's paid an option fee to do this?

My guess is that there is a ton of empty land in Arizona, and potential sellers are eager to sign up for even a chance of being a chosen seller.

If a seller enters into an agreement which doesn't bind the buyer to actually close, there is nothing wrong with the buyer not closing. It is done all the time.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 11:20 AM   #23
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Connor Bedard is still considered a prospect, no?
Who?
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 01:00 PM   #24
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Prior to this thread, I had a soft spot for Arizona / their fans because I love underdogs, but now I just hope Cooley busts and the yotes get moved somewhere else.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 01:11 PM   #25
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post

My guess is that there is a ton of empty land in Arizona, and potential sellers are eager to sign up for even a chance of being a chosen seller.
There isn't a ton of empty land in Mesa itself.

I'm thinking the option is on the gravel pit at the 202 and Alma School road.

The only other place I know they looked at was Fiesta Mall, but last I heard they weren't pursuing that option any further.

Don't really see any available land along the LRT (Main St), unless they are planning on bulldozing a mobile home park.
Old 08-09-2023, 01:52 PM   #26
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Meruelo just wants to...sing!
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2023, 02:16 PM   #27
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:
Icon39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
Prior to this thread, I had a soft spot for Arizona / their fans because I love underdogs, but now I just hope Cooley busts and the yotes get moved somewhere else.
Get in line my friend..
Old 08-09-2023, 03:12 PM   #28
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Multiple sites under contract means that he has control over a number of sites.

Since it's no secret he's doing that, there is nothing disreputable about it. perhaps he's paid an option fee to do this?

If a seller enters into an agreement which doesn't bind the buyer to actually close, there is nothing wrong with the buyer not closing. It is done all the time.
A LOI is not a contract. And having multiple LOI’s in play is not “done all the time” by serious people.

Buying options on different tracts of land, not knowing which ones you want to develop, would be dumb. No intelligent person is doing that. Especially with the cost of capital in this market.

This guy loves blowing smoke and I’m surprised anyone believes what he says.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 03:51 PM   #29
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Glendale too far?

Want to be in the heart of the City?

Come on down to .... Mesa, Arizona.

Spoiler!
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 05:18 PM   #30
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is all just a song and dance until they announce the move to Salt Lake in February or March (maybe a little later if they're in the playoff hunt).
Old 08-09-2023, 05:22 PM   #31
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A LOI is not a contract. And having multiple LOI’s in play is not “done all the time” by serious people.

Buying options on different tracts of land, not knowing which ones you want to develop, would be dumb. No intelligent person is doing that. Especially with the cost of capital in this market.

This guy loves blowing smoke and I’m surprised anyone believes what he says.
A LOI if drafted properly can be a binding commitment if that is the intention of the parties.

Depends on the cost of the option. If there is little demand and lots of supply. Sellers may be only too happy to at least be in the game.

There is no generalities in these situations.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 05:30 PM   #32
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
This is all just a song and dance until they announce the move to Salt Lake in February or March (maybe a little later if they're in the playoff hunt).
I would be extremely surprised. Not on a basis of principle (Salt Lake may well be able to support a team better than Phoenix) but rather practicality. They're not going to give up on this until they exhaust all options in the Phoenix area, and if the NHL or the BoG were intent upon forcing the issue, they would've done it after the vote failed. It looks like the Coyotes are trying to establish redundancy for themselves in case the Mesa inquiry falls apart, so I suspect this won't be resolved for quite a while. Their initial deal at ASU covers four years — wonder if they'll end up being there five.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 05:54 PM   #33
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I think the fact they are setting up land options as fall back plans if they fall through suggests that they have been given a drop dead date for having an arena in place.

Have the land options set up ahead of time and then start with top choice and work way down until a arena deal is done or you run out of options.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 06:08 PM   #34
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
if the NHL or the BoG were intent upon forcing the issue, they would've done it after the vote failed.
You're assuming that didn't happen. I'm assuming it did. There just wasn't enough time after the vote to get something in place for this season, so they have one last kick to get something done before the league pulls the plug.

My prediction is the rumours will start circulating in January or so. A few cities will be mentioned, but it will most-likely be a sale to the owner of the Jazz and a relocation to the Delta Center (which is its name again) with plans for a new arena before they host the Olympics again.
Old 08-09-2023, 06:27 PM   #35
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
You're assuming that didn't happen. I'm assuming it did. There just wasn't enough time after the vote to get something in place for this season, so they have one last kick to get something done before the league pulls the plug.

My prediction is the rumours will start circulating in January or so. A few cities will be mentioned, but it will most-likely be a sale to the owner of the Jazz and a relocation to the Delta Center (which is its name again) with plans for a new arena before they host the Olympics again.
I'm not sure about that. I think if they wanted to wrest control of the franchise, they would've had both the time and the means to do so. The Thrashers moved to Winnipeg in record time.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 06:47 PM   #36
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never understood why sports arenas aren't multiplexes with more diversification of income source. Imagine a version of a resort mall like West Edmonton Mall that also had a pro sports arena attached. Then build a residential district around it

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 07:15 PM   #37
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Meruelo just wants to...sing!

No singing!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2023, 07:21 PM   #38
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many 5000 person arenas is he planning on not filling in 41 acres?!?
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 07:22 PM   #39
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Glendale too far?

Want to be in the heart of the City?

Come on down to .... Mesa, Arizona.

Spoiler!
You have zero clue about the demographics and location of the valley
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2023, 07:57 PM   #40
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A LOI if drafted properly can be a binding commitment if that is the intention of the parties.

Depends on the cost of the option. If there is little demand and lots of supply. Sellers may be only too happy to at least be in the game.

There is no generalities in these situations.
I’m not talking about generalities. I’m saying these guys are buffoons and there is no way they are entering into contracts for multiple parcels of land and then picking one later. I can’t be any more specific than that.

Frankly I’d like to see this LOI they claim to have signed. If it even exists, I am quite confident it is highly vague with no breakage fees and no meaningful economic terms. This press release is PR to keep the wolves at bay.

To be clear an LOI can be worded many ways but in my experience it is always a sign of a buyer who is genuinely interested and willing to complete the deal in good faith. Not someone who is “shopping around”.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post: