Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2020, 11:24 AM   #141
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eat bread needs to be given more time on the PK and PP and I think you will really see his offensive numbers bloom. Great bridge deal here wish we could have locked him up on a long term value deal!
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:53 AM   #142
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
I mean... He did play the season on our actual first line
Which would just further prove my point...
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:40 PM   #143
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Last season, Mangiapane played 861:18 at 5v5, which ranked 116th among NHL forwards.

In those minutes, Mangiapane:

- scored 15 goals (tied for 43rd among all NHL forwards - 1st line production)
- scored at a rate of 1.04 goals per 60 minutes (ties for 54th among all NHL forwards - 1st line production)

- had 11 primary assists (tied for 71st among all NHL forwards - 1st line production)
- recorded primary assists at a rate of 0.77 per 60 minutes (tied for 83rd among all NHL forwards - 1st line production)

- had 29 total points (tied for 77th among all NHL forwards - 1st line production)
- recorded points at a rate of 2.02 per 60 minutes (tied for 86th among all NHL forwards - 1st line production)

All despite playing against elite competition night in and night out on the shutdown line.

By all accounts, Mangiapane produced like a first liner offensively 5v5 last season.

By all accounts, Mangiapane was also a beast defensively with incredible possession + scoring chance rates.
You are understating your case He had 17 ES goals. and 31 ES pts

It would almost seem that the Flames organization was suppressing his stats by keeping him off the PP.

BUT then you would have to consider that Gaudreau 12 ES goals and Monahan 14 did not do as much as Mangiapane to get the PP time.

If Mangiapane were to replace either one of them as a PP shooter would the Flames have a better PP?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:48 PM   #144
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

And this is why you don't build teams based on stats.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 01:00 PM   #145
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
You are understating your case He had 17 ES goals. and 31 ES pts

It would almost seem that the Flames organization was suppressing his stats by keeping him off the PP.

BUT then you would have to consider that Gaudreau 12 ES goals and Monahan 14 did not do as much as Mangiapane to get the PP time.

If Mangiapane were to replace either one of them as a PP shooter would the Flames have a better PP?
I used 5v5 stats, not ES.

Whereas Gaudreau (86 minutes), Monahan (82 minutes), Tkachuk (81 minutes), Lindholm (77 minutes) and Backlund (51 minutes) received significant additional time when using ES, Mangiapane (25 minutes) received very little additional time, which given he was still coming into his own last year, is kinda fair.

But at 5v5, Mangiapane was very arguably the best Flames' forward.

It's impossible to know how much of an asset he'd be on the PP or PK without consistent time, but he's more than earned the right to be a mainstay on PP2 at minimum, and considering he was one of the top 3 defensive forwards on the Flames, he should definitely be tested on the PK as well (although great 5v5 defense doesn't always translate to great PK defense)
Old 10-17-2020, 01:01 PM   #146
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
And this is why you don't build teams based on stats.
A+ argument.
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 02:09 PM   #147
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A+ argument.
A+ rebuttal
Old 10-17-2020, 02:10 PM   #148
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A+ argument.
Quote:
I used 5v5 stats, not ES.

Whereas Gaudreau (86 minutes), Monahan (82 minutes), Tkachuk (81 minutes), Lindholm (77 minutes) and Backlund (51 minutes) received significant additional time when using ES, Mangiapane (25 minutes) received very little additional time, which given he was still coming into his own last year, is kinda fair.

But at 5v5, Mangiapane was very arguably the best Flames' forward.

It's impossible to know how much of an asset he'd be on the PP or PK without consistent time, but he's more than earned the right to be a mainstay on PP2 at minimum, and considering he was one of the top 3 defensive forwards on the Flames, he should definitely be tested on the PK as well (although great 5v5 defense doesn't always translate to great PK defense)
see above
Old 10-17-2020, 02:19 PM   #149
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
A+ rebuttal
I've provided factual arguments supporting how good of a player Mangiapane was last season.

Your response was "This is why you don't build teams based on stats".

Well, should you judge them on the effect they have on the outcome of the game? Well, you can't, because stats show that.

Well, should you judge them based on how well they can get to the right areas of the ice to both prevent and develop scoring chances? Well, you can't, because stats show that.

Might as well put the names of players on a piece of paper and randomly pull them from a jar.

Quote:
see above
I am very sorry that Mangiapane was one of, if not the Flames' best, most effective forward at 5v5 last season by most measures.

You are correct. Your "This is why you don't build teams based on stats" is such a great, inarguable rebuttal that I'm at a loss for words.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:29 PM   #150
Redlan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I've provided factual arguments supporting how good of a player Mangiapane was last season.

Your response was "This is why you don't build teams based on stats".

Well, should you judge them on the effect they have on the outcome of the game? Well, you can't, because stats show that.

Well, should you judge them based on how well they can get to the right areas of the ice to both prevent and develop scoring chances? Well, you can't, because stats show that.

Might as well put the names of players on a piece of paper and randomly pull them from a jar.

I am very sorry that Mangiapane was one of, if not the Flames' best, most effective forward at 5v5 last season by most measures.

You are correct. Your "This is why you don't build teams based on stats" is such a great, inarguable rebuttal that I'm at a loss for words.
I am to lazy to go back and read how this discussion developed ...can someone summarize?
Redlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:30 PM   #151
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

My post was in reference to ricardodw's conclusions ("Gaudreau 12 ES goals and Monahan 14 did not do as much as Mangiapane to get the PP time. If Mangiapane were to replace either one of them as a PP shooter would the Flames have a better PP?")

You are clearly very sensitive with respect to this topic. Yes, Mangiapane's 5on5 stats were solid this year. No dispute.

But jumping to the conclusion that he was the Flames' best forward 5on5, is rather premature IMO.

1) all observation, by pretty much everyone, disagrees with the conclusion (he had a great year, but no one - other than those that completely buy into these stats - think he was the best forward)
2) his line had a hot streak - let's see if they can actually repeat that before he call him our best forward
3) he had a very high shooting percentage through that hot streak

All players (and lines) have hot streaks. The problem here is that there isn't enough other data to normalize his numbers. If he puts up more periods of excellent numbers, and the data continues to support this data, then we can start to have more confidence about our conclusions.

But so far, that conclusion is not only pre-mature, but conflicts with observation.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:35 PM   #152
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those continually quoting his stats, as the argument for why he is so good/under-rated, I ask you: what about his playoff stats?

Yes, it is a small sample size wrt the playoffs, but it is also a small sample (of less than one season) with the regular season stats.

If he is as good as the (small sample of) stats say, how do you account for the more modest showing in the playoffs?

Based on the playoffs, one could conclude that Bennett was our best forward. I would consider that conclusion about equally as pre-mature.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:40 PM   #153
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
My post was in reference to ricardodw's conclusions ("Gaudreau 12 ES goals and Monahan 14 did not do as much as Mangiapane to get the PP time. If Mangiapane were to replace either one of them as a PP shooter would the Flames have a better PP?")

You are clearly very sensitive with respect to this topic. Yes, Mangiapane's 5on5 stats were solid this year. No dispute.

But jumping to the conclusion that he was the Flames' best forward 5on5, is rather premature IMO.

1) all observation, by pretty much everyone, disagrees with the conclusion (he had a great year, but no one - other than those that completely buy into these stats - think he was the best forward)
2) his line had a hot streak - let's see if they can actually repeat that before he call him our best forward

All players (and lines) have hot streaks. The problem here is that there isn't enough other data to normalize his numbers. If he puts up more periods of excellent numbers, and the data continues to support this data, then we can start to have more confidence about our conclusions.

But so far, that conclusion is not only pre-mature, but conflicts with observation.
In a normal year, Mangiapane likely wouldn't be in the discussion, but while the top guys (specifically the top line) struggled all year, Mangiapane played solid hockey and as a result, had among the top counting stats on the team as well as micro stats.

I'm not at all saying Mangiapane is the most skilled player on the team, or the best skater, or has the best shot, etc.. I'm sure Mangiapane doesn't have one particular trait where he's better than everyone else on the team, but he's right up there with Tkachuk in terms of his hockey IQ and knowing where to be on the ice at all times and his tenacious, never give up play style allows him to create offense out of nowhere while also helping limit chances in his own end.

He'll very likely never be the go-to guy on a team, nor will he every put up Gaudreau offensive numbers, but his elite work ethic and IQ combined with his above-average all around play makes for a very effective hockey player that leads to the excellent results he put up this year in which he had first line production at 5v5 while providing elite defense.

As for special teams, I know you weren't responding to me on that area, but that's where I agree with you and said it in a previous post how great offense or defense at 5v5 doesn't necessarily translate to great PP or PK effectiveness, but at the very least, he's earned the opportunity to get consistent PP2 and PK time.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:47 PM   #154
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

While Mangiapane might not have looked that effective in the Playoffs, he still had very strong impacts relative to his teammates. He also tied for the team lead among Flames forwards in 5v5 points (3).

Now, were his numbers anywhere near as good as they were in the regular season? No. But he still had among the best numbers on the team at 5v5 in the Playoffs because everyone outside of the Lucic-Bennett-Dube line sucked for the second year in a row.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:02 AM   #155
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Now, were his numbers anywhere near as good as they were in the regular season? No. But he still had among the best numbers on the team at 5v5 in the Playoffs because everyone outside of the Lucic-Bennett-Dube line sucked for the second year in a row.[/QUOTE]

He looked injured and unable to be his normal self to my eye, in the Dallas series especially. I fully expect him to have another gear the next post season. He is a play driver, which I think is way more valuable than guys that are great finishers but lurk on the perimeter when not scoring.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:01 AM   #156
HockeyKhan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Must say I'll be very pissed if Mangi switches from #88.

Top-tier number and he looks great in it.
Hey Scorp, what makes you think that's a possibility?
Old 10-18-2020, 10:15 AM   #157
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Flames are going to need internal growth so hopefully Mangiapane right, can turn into a consistent 20+g 50+p player.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:27 AM   #158
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Flames are going to need internal growth so hopefully Mangiapane right, can turn into a consistent 20+g 50+p player.
Yup. Mangiapane, Dube and Bennett all need to get better.

And if they do, suddenly you have a young group of guys to build around, making it easier to consider transitioning from Monahan and/or Gaudreau.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:48 AM   #159
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I like this deal because it's likely going to be the two best seasons production wise of Mangiapane's career and it's short enough to keep him hungry.

The old school highly flawed eye test tells me that given the chance he would produce on the PP. To me he's like Camalleri as he can shoot from distance but has quick enough hands in the tight areas.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:41 PM   #160
Jaybo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Not specifically about Mangiapane and apologies if this has been discussed but do we know what happens to contracts if the NHL has to continue when the next season starts (January?) with no (or limited) crowds.

I assume most contracts are based on teams having revenues of ~40 games with ~20,000 fans paying ~$100 per ticket. If that revenue (plus all ancillary revenue from concessions to parking to game day merchandise sales) is gone, how to teams honour their contracts with players which are all staying (roughly) where'd you'd expect them to be B.C. (Before Covid).
Jaybo is offline   Reply With Quote