Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2019, 04:26 PM   #61
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I avoid that because the past doesn't compile for me.

The current management team + the current coaching staff + the current roster is either a group that should have success or it isn't.

Change any of the three of those and you have to reevaluate.

But I'm not all that worried about any other era or past playoff failures; they just don't have a bearing on this season or this year's playoffs to me.
It'll be different this time.

And yet here we are.

I dont begrudge your optimism, not at all, I just cant share it because the pessimistic perspective has just been so much more consistently correct.

Maybe Charlie Brown will finally kick the football this time...maybe he will...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:51 PM   #62
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

And yet here we are.

I dont begrudge your optimism, not at all, I just cant share it because the pessimistic perspective has just been so much more consistently correct.

You wouldn't be alone, I get that.

I just see each Lucy pull away as a new event, and the past events don't have much bearing on whether the bitch pulls the ball away again or not ... though in this example Charlie has to smarten the hell up, because she will.

And for sure I tend to be optimistic, but in this case it's a mixed bag.

The team didn't win the West (regular season) with mirrors. They were top 5-8 in almost all measures and had bottom half ranks in goaltending, PK and PP. That's a good team.

But when the puck drops in game one this April I'll be nervous as hell that the key players on this team don't have that next level.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:12 PM   #63
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

One team of 31 will go home winners...if you want to pat yourself on the back for constantly predicting failure go for it.

This time last year the usual suspects had the Flames as a bubble team and missing the playoffs...not 2nd overall

Tampa was even worse in the playoffs...you guys are also predicting their downfall?

Last edited by dino7c; 08-25-2019 at 05:20 PM.
dino7c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:17 PM   #64
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
You could argue that those last 3 playoff series losses were due to puck luck or the lack thereof.

Honestly though, last years was gross. Mike Smith was the best player. He gave them a chance.

Didnt like Gaudreau the last two games.
Flames best player in game 5, working his bag off...Neal and Backlund blew game 4

Gaudreau was giving everything in game 5...can't be mad at a guy for missing a break away and having a goal disallowed. He was at least making things happen

Smith was good but they had the lead late in 3 of the 5 games and he didn't make the big save...the other guy did
Old 08-25-2019, 05:32 PM   #65
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

And yet here we are.

God, that sounds miserable. If I ever get that jaded about hockey I will just quit watching. What’s the point if it frustrates you this much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 06:04 PM   #66
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
God, that sounds miserable. If I ever get that jaded about hockey I will just quit watching. What’s the point if it frustrates you this much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Life is an endless series of painful disappointments punctuated by occasional brief glimpses of something that vaguely resembles socially defined 'happiness.'

Being a Flames fan has taught me to remain pessimistic until they prove otherwise and, like in '04, last season was an abject lesson that even when they prove otherwise....they'll find a way.

It doesnt frustrate me as I'm usually right, and when I'm wrong I can bask in the glorious success!

Perennial and persistent failure is what makes occasional success all the sweeter. Maybe you're the one doing it wrong...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 06:12 PM   #67
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see anything wrong with being a diehard fan, yet having a pessimistic view (flames and dolphins for 30ish years now).

In 30 years, the franchise has only mustered getting thru the first round twice. It's pretty pathetic.

Last year's regular season and conference win was awesome, but the post season felt all too familiar.

I am also quite disappointed to be going into the year woth basically the same team as last year, other than the talbot/smith & neal/lucic swaps.

I realize that the flames tried for at least a few big swings in the attempt to get kadri, as well as the zucker deal at the deadline, striking out in both. Unfortunately, almost deals don't really have any real tangible results.

I am sure we can hope for some organic growth, especially from the younger guys, but it's also fair to assume some guys have down years, or at least a bit of a regression from last year.

I think this is a playoff team for sure, but a division/conference title definitely not to be assumed. What happens come spring is of course more important, and i really feel like the flames roster will look different due a big acquisition between now and the deadline.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 07:10 PM   #68
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
You could argue that those last 3 playoff series losses were due to puck luck or the lack thereof.

You certainly can’t make that argument last year. They were dominated and only Smith gave them a chance early on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:33 PM   #69
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

2nd overall doesn’t mean anything. Nobody aims for the President Trophy or the overall standings. They are almost irrelevant in fact.

I almost wish Calgary didn’t finish 2nd because it’s given a lot of ammunition to people’s perception about what is seemingly good enough for a lot of fans based on some of the opinions I read. As if it excuses getting absolutely embarrassed in round 1 and outplayed and outclassed.

If the team enters the season believing their own BS because they finished 2nd overall we are already in for a rough October / November.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:41 PM   #70
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
2nd overall doesn’t mean anything. Nobody aims for the President Trophy or the overall standings. They are almost irrelevant in fact.

I almost wish Calgary didn’t finish 2nd because it’s given a lot of ammunition to people’s perception about what is seemingly good enough for a lot of fans based on some of the opinions I read. As if it excuses getting absolutely embarrassed in round 1 and outplayed and outclassed.

If the team enters the season believing their own BS because they finished 2nd overall we are already in for a rough October / November.
Playoffs success is obviously more important and more desirable. However, you should not be so quick to dismiss regular season success. 19,000 people buy tickets 41 nights per winter. Those games matter, and providing a good product matters.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 08:46 PM   #71
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Playoffs success is obviously more important and more desirable. However, you should not be so quick to dismiss regular season success. 19,000 people buy tickets 41 nights per winter. Those games matter, and providing a good product matters.
Historically Flames fans are smart enough to know the difference between a regular season team and a true playoff built team. Sales have fallen off drastically in the 90's, late 2000's and in recent seasons with the former if it prolongs more than a season.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:51 PM   #72
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Life is an endless series of painful disappointments punctuated by occasional brief glimpses of something that vaguely resembles socially defined 'happiness.'
Maybe your life is. Don’t try and speak for the rest of us.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 08:59 PM   #73
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you're not inherently a pessimist then you havent been a Flames fan long enough.
While I feel the Flames will make the playoffs there's definitely a side of me that wouldn't be surprised if the bottom falls out and it ends up a bit of a miserable season. This organization simply doesn't have a good track record when it comes to sustained success outside of the 80's.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:32 PM   #74
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Maybe your life is. Don’t try and speak for the rest of us.
Lol, you're so serious all the time. It was a clearly a post in jest. Jesus.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 09:57 PM   #75
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

TB and Calgary were the top 2 teams over an 82 game schedule.

Two excellent teams were beaten in short order in the first round. However, both teams should still be considered top contenders entering the 19/20 season.

Lessons were learned.

Primarily, your best players have to be your best players in the playoffs. Neither team was even close to accomplishing that, in the first round.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 10:02 PM   #76
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

If you believe your favourite sports organization is hopeless you’re just like 95% of sports fans.

I could count the number of teams on my fingers, from all sports, who have been spoiled with winning (during a persons life span). Your sport team winning repeatedly in your life time doesn’t happen often.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:14 PM   #77
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Being a Flames fan has taught me to remain pessimistic until they prove otherwise and, like in '04, last season was an abject lesson that even when they prove otherwise....they'll find a way.

It doesn't frustrate me as I'm usually right, and when I'm wrong I can bask in the glorious success!

Perennial and persistent failure is what makes occasional success all the sweeter. Maybe you're the one doing it wrong...
This is kind of where I'm at as well.
It's not miserable, because since my expectations are low they are often exceeded.
It's kind of miserable for everyone else though, since they have to deal with the pessimism.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:51 PM   #78
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You can have your pessimism, it's warranted. But let people have their optimism.

30 of 31 teams' fans would be right every year if they said it's going to end in disappointment. Obviously you're always up against it, the deck stacked against you, regardless of how strong the team is.

But part of fandom is the hope and rallying around that. If everyone was rational and keeping the numbers and odds in mind at all times we would all be in perma-grumpycat mode until the moment the buzzer finally sounds on a stanley cup win. The fun comes from the "could they?" moments you get throughout the year when huge winning goals are scored and the team and players have their highlight moments where promise and potential is shown.

It's too easy to be miserable. Whichever side of the fence you're on though, at some point in time you'll be proven right. And I don't think we'll be stuck at one cup or in this drought of playoff success forever.

I would rather be on the side that had hope when it does happen though. And that doesn't mean you have to be hopeful to a fault either. You can manage your expectations and be cautiously optimistic, meanwhile just enjoying the hockey and the wins as they come. It's a long journey, might as well enjoy it.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 11:39 PM   #79
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Talbot replacing Smith and Lucic replacing Neal are close to a wash. Tkachuk will cost more, Hathaway is gone, and we are probably going to lose someone else as a cap casualty. So barring a fall deal we are taking a step back (at least on paper) this season.

That is disappointing. The team has real issues in the middle six and we still haven't added any stability in net. We are still a very good team, but we are also in a three year window and coming off a playoff meltdown. I was hoping Treliving was a bit more aggressive in taking a step forward.

That said, let's see if Rittich can take a step forward and how kids like Andersson and Dube factor in. Let's also hope our army of 'career seasons' don't regress too far. Finally, let's hope the team learned something from the late season meltdown. If that can all happen, perhaps we can take a step forward.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:01 AM   #80
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole premise of this thread (read the article in the OP) is about standings and regular season success/standings ect.

Playoffs? who the #### knows with how the NHL has gone lately but the Flames should be considered one of the top teams standings wise.

All the usual publications have the Flames somewhere between 1-3 in the Pacific...I suppose they are all homers? Playoffs were disappointing for me last year too but it wasn't long ago (not even a year) when a top 3 finish seemed like a dream season. Now we are not supposed to enjoy being a team that wins most of their games because of what might happen in the Spring? I will worry about the playoffs when the Flames get there...for now I hope this YOUNG Flames team has learned some lessons and will be even better this coming season.

Tags
edmonton is no good , edmonton will finish last , they really stink