Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #241
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

McNally's Reserve is my favourite beer of all time.

I had a friend that used to drive out kegs of it on a yearly basis from Calgary to the coast. Sadly, those days are gone.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #242
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

i wish more of the imports came in 6-packs. my local Sobey's just got Fuller's ESB in stock which is awesome, but only in the single pint bottles (and at $5 a bottle). if it came in a normal 6-pack more reasonably priced that would totally be in my regular rotation
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #243
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I picked up michelob ultra too try out a light beer, surprisingly it tastes good not like bud light.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #244
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

a beer rant really. was in drumheller this weekend for lacrosse. had dinner at a pub, and ordered a pint of the black stuff.

it was freezing cold, like a black slurpee. i mentioned it to the waitress and she said noone has ever complained before about "cold beer". i tried to explain that guinness should not be served at "brain freeze temp" but her eyes glazed over......please oh please, if you are gonna serve guinness please don't serve it ice cold.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #245
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
Also, haven't had this one in years since Big Rock doesn't bottle it, but I loved it whenever I could find it - usually in that hipster bar across from the Ship & Anchor:

Anyone had one lately? I don't know if Big Rock even makes it anymore.
You can at least get it in the big rock mixer cases. I had a bottle on Friday.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #246
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
a beer rant really. was in drumheller this weekend for lacrosse. had dinner at a pub, and ordered a pint of the black stuff.

it was freezing cold, like a black slurpee. i mentioned it to the waitress and she said noone has ever complained before about "cold beer". i tried to explain that guinness should not be served at "brain freeze temp" but her eyes glazed over......please oh please, if you are gonna serve guinness please don't serve it ice cold.
couldn't you just let it warm up a bit before drinking? whenever i buy Guiness it goes into my fridge which is kept just a hair above freezing, but i've never thought it tasted bad
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #247
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Tonight, I had this delicious and interesting beverage, Mission Springs' Jazz Man Pale Ale

Very tasty. Brewed with Jasmine, the hop takes on very interesting vanill and caramel notes. Very tasty brew, highly recommended.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #248
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
couldn't you just let it warm up a bit before drinking? whenever i buy Guiness it goes into my fridge which is kept just a hair above freezing, but i've never thought it tasted bad
I could but it's not the point, different drinks get served at different temps.

try drinking it at a warmer (not room temp) and it tastes different (better IMO).
Old 04-30-2012, 10:15 AM   #249
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

An aside regarding the temperature of Guinness.. I'm on a tour in Ireland, there is one Brit guy among us, he's railing about the Guinness being served cold in Ireland and how it's supposed to be served room temperature.

The Irish tour guide then pipes up. "The only reason it was warm was because our ships didn't have refrigeration you git. Drink it cold!"

That said, an ice cold Guinness is awful. I'm not a big fan of it personally, but I had one at the St. James Gate Brewery and it was the worst beer I've ever had, served ice cold.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #250
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
An aside regarding the temperature of Guinness.. I'm on a tour in Ireland, there is one Brit guy among us, he's railing about the Guinness being served cold in Ireland and how it's supposed to be served room temperature.

The Irish tour guide then pipes up. "The only reason it was warm was because our ships didn't have refrigeration you git. Drink it cold!"

That said, an ice cold Guinness is awful. I'm not a big fan of it personally, but I had one at the St. James Gate Brewery and it was the worst beer I've ever had, served ice cold.
Ice cold....is horrible, cold is fine...is it a fine line, yeah maybe. Warm it is not that good, TBH i am not a big fan of warm beer, and didn't find much of it, even in the working man's clubs in the north.

It should be cold, not Ice cold.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #251
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Sigh... I just came back from Belgium and am having problems drinking the swill that passes for beer here again. La Chouffe, Leffe, Delirium, Orval, and Trappiste brews... going for a Keiths just isn't the same. One thing's for sure, aftering getting used to 8% and 15% brews, our 5% seems like water.

It's getting expensive buying Belgium imports here though, is there such a thing as "cheaper" places to get them? I'm trying GIB and WR to at least try and fill the void.
I'm not sure there is much cheaper. My local Co-op liquor store added a really nice beer section when they renovated, and judging by what people are drinking in this thread I'm hoping a bit more competition can make the price a bit more reasonable (although I wouldn't bet on it). With so many bars now seeming to jump on the craft beer bandwagon, I'm liking the selection now available in a lot of places. It has come a long way from when a bar stuck to one major brewer of the other.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #252
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
You can at least get it in the big rock mixer cases. I had a bottle on Friday.
That's good to know. Are you sure it wasn't McNally's Extra though? The stuff that tastes like the "Extra" was probably an emission from McNally's left ear?
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #253
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
That's good to know. Are you sure it wasn't McNally's Extra though? The stuff that tastes like the "Extra" was probably an emission from McNally's left ear?
Ah. I looked at the pic again. I've never seen the reserve. It was the extra I had.

I am still waiting for their Dunkel in bottles.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #254
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have had many Dunkel's in a bottle. Seems available everywhere for the past few months.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/391/71800

Last edited by red sky; 05-01-2012 at 09:42 AM.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #255
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beerfest this weekend.

Any advice for a first timer?
Old 05-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #256
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Tried out that Craft beer place the other weekend, wasn't very impressed.. the selection was great, but 0.4 litre beer priced as a pint.

Then all of a sudden at like 9 it turned into a hipster bar..
Old 05-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #257
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
Beerfest this weekend.

Any advice for a first timer?
Don't go? haha.. sorry.. I've found it ends up being pretty expensive just to try a couple of beers you've never had.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #258
toonmaster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

After curbing my IPA craving with a Propeller IPA (found here: http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpos...&postcount=240), I went looking for a red ale to enjoy while watching the NJ/Phili game last night. I decided on the Scotch Style Pike Kilt Lifter Ruby Ale from The Pike Brewing Company in Seattle.

It has the taste I enjoy with red ales but it didn't quite satisfy me. Maybe it was the $18 I paid for a sixer; damn pricey.

I also scooped up the Granville Island Robson Street Hefeweizen last weekend.

I tried this brew last year and really enjoyed it. This year however it comes across as too fruity. While I'm sure to enjoy one out on the deck after finishing up the days yard work, I don't think it will be a regular occurance in my fridge.

The gf's dad was in town and brought some Longboard Island Lager by the Kona Brewing Company from the US.

This was my favorite of the three. It had a little extra flavour to it compared to your basic lager and was a smooth finish.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #259
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Tried out that Craft beer place the other weekend, wasn't very impressed.. the selection was great, but 0.4 litre beer priced as a pint.

Then all of a sudden at like 9 it turned into a hipster bar..
I've only actually managed to get a table at craft once, I've attempted to go a few times now.

But yeah basically everything you said, especially the "pints" things. Except every time I've tried to go there it's been stuffed with french shower/ed hardy kinda crowd as oppose to hipsters.

Honestly Beer Revolution is everything Craft Beer Market should have been.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #260
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonmaster View Post
After curbing my IPA craving with a Propeller IPA (found here: http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpos...&postcount=240), I went looking for a red ale to enjoy while watching the NJ/Phili game last night. I decided on the Scotch Style Pike Kilt Lifter Ruby Ale from The Pike Brewing Company in Seattle.

snip

It has the taste I enjoy with red ales but it didn't quite satisfy me. Maybe it was the $18 I paid for a sixer; damn pricey.

I also scooped up the Granville Island Robson Street Hefeweizen last weekend.

snip

I tried this brew last year and really enjoyed it. This year however it comes across as too fruity. While I'm sure to enjoy one out on the deck after finishing up the days yard work, I don't think it will be a regular occurance in my fridge.

The gf's dad was in town and brought some Longboard Island Lager by the Kona Brewing Company from the US.

snip

This was my favorite of the three. It had a little extra flavour to it compared to your basic lager and was a smooth finish.
For a Ruby Ale, give this stuff a try. It seems pretty widely available, and it's awesome every time I have it.

Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:

Tags
beer , conway twitty , drunks , yes conway twitty