Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2016, 10:33 AM   #461
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Rabble rabble coulda had Maatta.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:51 AM   #462
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Favourable Zone Starts!
Powerplay time!

At this point even the most ardent Jankowski detractor must be pleased with his play.
I am. Still a lot to be proved, but I'll admit I gave up too soon
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:31 AM   #463
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rec%: .650 (10th in AHL)
GF/G: 4.1 (2nd in AHL)
GA/G: 2.8 (9th in AHL)
PP %: 20.8 (8th in AHL)
PK %: 86.0 (10th in AHL)

in contrast to the Flames tire fire, it's good to see the Heat in the top 10 in all these categories.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2016, 11:35 AM   #464
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post

in contrast to the Flames tire fire, it's good to see the Heat in the top 10 in all these categories.
Which is strange if you consider the Heat are supposed to be following the exact same systems as the NHL club.

Implies that the system is not a problem, at least at the AHL level.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:39 AM   #465
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Which is strange if you consider the Heat are supposed to be following the exact same systems as the NHL club.

Implies that the system is not a problem, at least at the AHL level.
The AHL team is making some mistakes too, although that's normal for the AHL. The difference is the quality of their opponents. When Stockton makes those errors, the likelihood of the other team making them pay is significantly less than what the Flames are facing.

That's why I have been defending the system so much. It's a good system. The players though have been horrible in Calgary compared to the level of their opposition. Doesn't help that they have been going through murderer's row since the start of the year either.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 12:08 PM   #466
JohnnyT
Scoring Winger

Exp:

To be fair when the heat play by play guy, Brandon Kisker did his AMA on /r/calgaryflames he was asked about the system this was his reply:
Quote:
Did you see any system changes since GG became the head coach of the Flames?
Quote:
Not too much. I think we've been a similar team to last year. I will say this...I despise the power play drop pass at center ice. I think I saw that on Thursday when I was in San Jose taking in the big club but we do it EVERY time. Team's expect it and inevitably a shorthanded chance comes of it once per game. Good thing we have three good goalies.
So it's possible that Huska had already adapted the system a little the previous year or isn't following the exact system that the big club is using.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:39 PM   #467
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post

The Flames/Heat play a style that is dependant on forward play more than defensemen. The role of defensemen is to move the puck quickly to the forwards and jump into the play rather than to go full Bobby Orr.

The Flames, relative to the NHL, have a weak forward group. Monahan is not a number one centre. In a number one centre role, with a number one winger and a fourth line winger, his line has struggled. Backlund is a number two centre, but is playing with a middle six winger and a rookie who may be our best forward outside of Gaudreau. In a middle six role, he is having a great season. Bennett is inexperienced at centre as it is, and is playing with a third line winger in Brouwer and usually an undersized skill winger without elite skill (Shinkaruk/Versteeg). In a middle six role, he has done admirably enough but his wingers have not made things easy for him. Stajan is a third line center playing fourth line with fourth liners and is having unsurprisingly, a fantastic season.

The Heat, relative to the AHL, have a strong forward group. Jankowski while young might actually be the best number one centre in the AHL. The AHL Bergeron ( ). Vey is an AHL number One-B centre himself, basically the AHL Krejci. And Pribyl, talent-wise he may be an AHL number one centre himself although he's still adjusting to the North American game speed. The Heat may have the best centre depth in the AHL. On the wings they have had six forwards who could all be first line AHLers and are probably NHLers at their core (Shinkaruk, Mangiapane, Klimchuk, Poirier, Frattin, Hathaway) plus Lomberg who is a beauty and Angelidis who has had a very nice AHL career for himself higher up the lineup. And as much as I dislike Bollig, you can't discount his hundreds of games of NHL experience... the AHL must seem slow motion to him.

Talent matters.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 11-13-2016 at 12:44 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 01:26 PM   #468
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

People are way too obsessed with putting labels and specific roles into players. One is middle six while the other is 3rd line?
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2016, 01:45 PM   #469
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was basically a one-handed pass while holding off the opposing defender with his free arm. Wild.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2016, 03:18 PM   #470
goodyear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Saw the black Stockton Heat 3rd jersey at the fan attic store at the game yesterday. Looks pretty nice! That was the only good part about going to the game yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
goodyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 05:29 PM   #471
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Would it be silly to try Jankowski on wing @ the NHL level? His vision and puck control would be a welcome addition to Gaudreau & Monahan's right side, or Tkatchuk & Bennett's should Brouwer be a good match on the 1st line.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:42 PM   #472
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Would it be silly to try Jankowski on wing @ the NHL level? His vision and puck control would be a welcome addition to Gaudreau & Monahan's right side, or Tkatchuk & Bennett's should Brouwer be a good match on the 1st line.
I would try anything but the real play with Janko is if he can make it at the NHL level at center, he could make one of the Flames top 3 centers a nice trade chip.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2016, 07:56 PM   #473
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Heat have sent Dyukov back to Adirondack.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2016, 08:17 AM   #474
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They need to continue to groom him at center as he will be the eventual replacement for Backlund who won't likely be a Flame past his current deal.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:53 PM   #475
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
I think it would be silly. Stylistically he plays the game like a playmaking centre. It's the most important position in hockey and you ideally want size there. Jankowski's strengths are not board and physical play which wingers are more involved in.

I think if you look at Monahan, Backlund, Janko and Bennett the player out of them who plays a style of game most suited to the wing is Bennett with his speed, tenacity along the boards, love of crashing the net. I'm not saying he's a winger but if you want to move one of our centre to wing he'd be the best fit IMO. Jankowski's strengths are faceoffs, playmaking, two way play, all signs point to him being a career centre
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2016, 02:59 PM   #476
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Jankowski is also currently leading all AHL rookies in points per game (minimum 10 GP) with 1.20 PPG this year.
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:33 PM   #477
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Late to the show but holy crap that Jankowski pass was amazing and I just wanted to emphasize that. To execute a one-handed pass on your backhand like that is ridiculous and only a player with a build like Janko could pull something like that off.

It's starting to look like Jankowski is the player we were hoping Colborne could turn into. I don't want to speak too soon but his development path has been nothing but steady and his AHL transition has been flawless.

The numbers aren't a fluke because as I recall while not putting up huge numbers, his senior year was still the most productive that the Friars have had in 12+ years. He's going from a pure defensive team to a team with more up tempo styled play (in the AHL anyways...) and is now given a chance to unleash his offensive ability that originally intrigued the Feastmeister and Wisebroad.

As much as I'd like for him to stay in the AHL and continue developing, if he keeps this up I don't see him finishing the year with Stockton.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:18 PM   #478
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Jankowski is a smart hockey player, Colborne isn't.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:47 PM   #479
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't we enjoy our guys without ####ting all over guys from the past?
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2016, 05:27 AM   #480
cofias
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
Late to the show but holy crap that Jankowski pass was amazing and I just wanted to emphasize that. To execute a one-handed pass on your backhand like that is ridiculous and only a player with a build like Janko could pull something like that off.

It's starting to look like Jankowski is the player we were hoping Colborne could turn into. I don't want to speak too soon but his development path has been nothing but steady and his AHL transition has been flawless.

The numbers aren't a fluke because as I recall while not putting up huge numbers, his senior year was still the most productive that the Friars have had in 12+ years. He's going from a pure defensive team to a team with more up tempo styled play (in the AHL anyways...) and is now given a chance to unleash his offensive ability that originally intrigued the Feastmeister and Wisebroad.

As much as I'd like for him to stay in the AHL and continue developing, if he keeps this up I don't see him finishing the year with Stockton.
The Feastmeister
cofias is offline   Reply With Quote