Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-06-2019, 03:04 PM   #3181
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Scratch my previous comment. Zator did get the call up, but as mentioned before, it'll get officially announced tomorrow.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #3182
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuryisgod View Post
Tried to get some tickets myself and I get to see what's open but as soon as I add to cart I get an internal error. Looks like they fixed the glitch that allowed new season ticket holders early access to seats.
Never mind, just switched computers and got it to work! Officially a season ticket holder! Section 201, row 5, seats 7 & 8! So pumped!
Right on! The 201st loyal division of the foot soldiers.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 03:19 PM   #3183
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Is there a wiki page for the algorithm, to identifying the number of qualifiers per nation, in a similar sense to how it works in Europe?

It'd be nice if we could understand what it'd take for Canada to earn that second spot. I imagine it's muddied with our top teams playing in another nations Domestic league.. similar to the Welsh/EPL & Champions League, or lack there of.
The Wikipedia pages for CONCACAF Champions League and CONCACAF League show what spots are allocated to what nations.

Old 11-06-2019, 03:38 PM   #3184
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess we'll have to wait until Feb for the schedule to be released eh?
Old 11-06-2019, 03:43 PM   #3185
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I guess we'll have to wait until Feb for the schedule to be released eh?
I just renewed my season ticket today and Allison in the ticket office said the schedule will be released in March.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ditty For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 05:47 PM   #3186
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

For what it is worth, in one of the Centre Circle Live podcasts a few weeks ago (official CanPL podcast), Tommy Wheeldon Jr. actually said something about the shortened spring season being what was supposed to decide the Concacaf League berth (instead of the 3-team charade with the teams that signed their paperwork first), but that was nixed by the CSA.

It would have made more sense as a qualifying method (and Cavalry would've earned it), but that seemed to be an explanation for the asymmetrical seasons. With that being a non-issue this year, I can't imagine that they'll do a asymmetrical split again. I think it'll either be even splits or a single season.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:59 PM   #3187
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Imo, with some tweaks, I think the split season is one of the handful of good ideas the league has had, as it is a good idea for parity and league interest.

The two legged final, is not. I read somewhere yesterday, where the CPL Commissioner said the beloved CSA was the one who pushed hard for the two legged final because it was becoming common around the world. Likely a justification for investigative trips around the world by CSA members; the only major competitions that I’ve looked at that have true two legged finals are the Coppa Italia, and the Copa Libertadores. Copa Libertadores is more South American as a whole, and it’s final leg was played in Spain because they couldn’t guarantee security for one of the legs of the 2018 Final. Hardly a model to aspire to. Italian Cup then, which is near and dear to the OSA and Quebec soccer members.

As for the CPL, interesting to see what cuts the Cavs have, and how soon. Many other teams have started jettisoning players, as contracts are basically done for all players for this past season, as most were not paid for playoffs.

Re: Spruce, I think it’s a great venue. For averaging 3500 fans, things such as food choice was very good, borderline excellent. If this was not a venue managed by the Southerns that was used as a venue for something else, it would be hamburgers hot dogs popcorn and regular or light beer as the only justification for that number of people. It has room to grow and the space can grow with it, but it’s got to average close to twice as may people to attend games as this year to see any expansion of the current food and the facility set up imo.

Lastly, it will be interesting to see what changes are made around the league. Ticket prices at some venues should give an idea of the miscalculation from this past year, or, how teams will try and recoup or minimize losses. Will One Soccer do all the games again with such limited viewership and thus limited potential resources? Does the team or league salary cap or contract structure change? I’ve heard it will, at least the latter.
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 10:21 PM   #3188
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Imo, with some tweaks, I think the split season is one of the handful of good ideas the league has had, as it is a good idea for parity and league interest.

The two legged final, is not. I read somewhere yesterday, where the CPL Commissioner said the beloved CSA was the one who pushed hard for the two legged final because it was becoming common around the world. Likely a justification for investigative trips around the world by CSA members; the only major competitions that I’ve looked at that have true two legged finals are the Coppa Italia, and the Copa Libertadores. Copa Libertadores is more South American as a whole, and it’s final leg was played in Spain because they couldn’t guarantee security for one of the legs of the 2018 Final. Hardly a model to aspire to. Italian Cup then, which is near and dear to the OSA and Quebec soccer members.

As for the CPL, interesting to see what cuts the Cavs have, and how soon. Many other teams have started jettisoning players, as contracts are basically done for all players for this past season, as most were not paid for playoffs.

Re: Spruce, I think it’s a great venue. For averaging 3500 fans, things such as food choice was very good, borderline excellent. If this was not a venue managed by the Southerns that was used as a venue for something else, it would be hamburgers hot dogs popcorn and regular or light beer as the only justification for that number of people. It has room to grow and the space can grow with it, but it’s got to average close to twice as may people to attend games as this year to see any expansion of the current food and the facility set up imo.

Lastly, it will be interesting to see what changes are made around the league. Ticket prices at some venues should give an idea of the miscalculation from this past year, or, how teams will try and recoup or minimize losses. Will One Soccer do all the games again with such limited viewership and thus limited potential resources? Does the team or league salary cap or contract structure change? I’ve heard it will, at least the latter.
What? I wouldnt consider it common, especially not with respect to the primary table.

Copa Libertadores and Coppa Italia are both side-tournaments independent of the main League Table.

I dont think any World League outside of MLS has an actual League playoff format.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-07-2019, 10:51 AM   #3189
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1192126316683943936

Spoiler!
Old 11-07-2019, 11:25 AM   #3190
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know nothing about U-Sports soccer but here is a list of top players.

https://usports.ca/en/sports/soccer/...TATS_ALL_GOALS

https://canpl.ca/article/watchlist-t...u-sports-draft

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 11-07-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:36 PM   #3191
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rumours that the Fury are folding floating around today. From the guy who does the PBP too...

Old 11-07-2019, 02:38 PM   #3192
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rumours that the Fury are folding floating around today. This from the guy who does their PBP.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1192551477975429140

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2019, 03:06 PM   #3193
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like sanctioning issues?
Old 11-07-2019, 03:13 PM   #3194
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Truly a setback for pro soccer in Canada if true.

One would think CSA, CanPL, and the Fury could have worked something out for 2020, but I won’t be surprised if the fold rumours are true.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:14 PM   #3195
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a worse sports market than Ottawa?

Maybe Winnipeg?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-07-2019, 03:17 PM   #3196
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Breaking: Ottawa Fury expected to suspend operations

Quote:
What has been a bad week for The Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group keeps getting worse.

It’s expected that OSEG will announce at a Friday morning press conference that the Ottawa Fury FC will suspend operations.

Fury FC began as a North American League expansion franchise in 2014, then joined the United Soccer League in 2017.

Prior to the 2019 USL season, governing body CONCACAF refused to sanction Fury FC, trying to pressure them into joining the Canadian Premier League in its inaugural season.

Fury FC finally got its sanction after appealing.

It seems likely those issues with CONCACAF lingered.

https://ottawacitizen.com/sports/bre...end-operations
Old 11-07-2019, 03:18 PM   #3197
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
Truly a setback for pro soccer in Canada if true.

One would think CSA, CanPL, and the Fury could have worked something out for 2020, but I won’t be surprised if the fold rumours are true.
I just don't understand what the issue was/is... ego, money?
Old 11-07-2019, 03:23 PM   #3198
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1192255974758866944
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2019, 03:26 PM   #3199
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I just don't understand what the issue was/is... ego, money?
I’d bet ego.

Real mixed emotions here. Want to fault the Fury for pretending they are better than CanPL and it’s clubs.

At the same time, the CSA and CanPL don’t inspire a ton of confidence right now. Starting to feel questionable whether CanPL has any aspirations beyond being Bob Young’s toy and a youth development springboard to attempt to avoid embarrassment in 2026. I’d like to be wrong, but I can see why OSEG might not want to play ball.

Last edited by Thunderball; 11-07-2019 at 05:41 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2019, 03:34 PM   #3200
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Is there a worse sports market than Ottawa?

Maybe Winnipeg?
Edmonton?

/obligatory
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge