Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 10:41 AM   #3121
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I am still very beat up about this result. I have never cheered for a championship team, and I really thought this would the first time I could experience what it is like to cheer for a winner.
I think what sticks in my craw is the childish, pisshead behaviour from Forge players towards the fans after the game - add that to the biased reffing, their time wasting throughout the game, the CSA's non-interest in dealing with the racist coach, and the CPL's ridiculous overall hard-on for that team. Forge is truly a team that is void of any kind of class.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #3122
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Only the weak cheer just for winners. Life is Pain and Suffering is Pleasure.

It will make their eventual Championship just that much sweeter.

Dont be the stereotypical Manchester City/United or Real/Barca fan.
I refuse to hop on a band wagon, like 90% of patriot fans. That's what would have made this special. It would have been an organic experience.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:46 AM   #3123
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
We need more of them. This is something soccer in this City should have been doing 20 years ago.
Apparently the Northwest (Bearspaw) soccer centre/bubble has a lease that's set to expire, so it's going to be torn down. I've heard they may do some sort of fieldhouse to replace it - ie. there won't be boards.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:54 AM   #3124
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
Apparently the Northwest (Bearspaw) soccer centre/bubble has a lease that's set to expire, so it's going to be torn down. I've heard they may do some sort of fieldhouse to replace it - ie. there won't be boards.
Heard this too. Actually, apparently the main Subway Soccer centre, was built to house a full size field. Never thought it that way, but surely could be -- just gotta sacrifice 4 for 1. I suppose, if 8v8 continues to cannibalize boarded, and attains Provincial sanction, they could do exactly that.

And split it in half or thirds for 8v8...
Old 11-04-2019, 11:20 AM   #3125
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aside from the obvious downer at the end, I still have largely positive feelings about the season. There are very real concerns about the league's love for Forge, the ineptitude of the CSA, the gong show of the first leg and the fallout afterwards, the league format, etc. But all of that being said, I think that Saturday's game was just a loss - straight up. 90 minutes to score, at home, and we couldn't get it done. I don't even think that it was a clear cut missed penalty call that led to the Forge breakaway. The amount of Cavalry chances that were squandered was really the story of the game. The ref wasn't perfect, Forge parked the bus, their keeper is a time-wasting (insert vulgarity here), but there were so many chances that didn't get buried.

Maybe I'm just an optimist, but I think that this was a great first year for the club and I think that it can be built on. We have good owners who are willing to adapt, a great little venue, outstanding support, and the list goes on. I'm not trying to gloss over the obvious issues that we've all been talking about, but on balance, I feel good about where soccer is in this city.

Of course, I could have done without a lot of the shenanigans and the Forge hard-on, but there is no denying that it has sparked a great rivalry and we now have a number of very good reasons to despise a club and players that, a few months ago, we didn't even know about. I hate them more than the Oilers.

I still won't be able to commit to a season ticket next year, but I'm fully on board and will get to at least as many games as I did this year, and I hope to improve on that. I like the game day experience and I have to keep reminding myself that this didn't even exist a few months ago - it feels like it has been around for so much longer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 11:32 AM   #3126
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 11:43 AM   #3127
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 11-04-2019, 01:08 PM   #3128
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's important is the fact that Cavalry averaging 3300 people and not folding after year one means they are the most successful soccer club in this city's history. The Boomers folded after one year. The Kickers/Strikers nor the Storm/Mustangs averaged 3300. Super low bar, but that is the reality of the game in this city.

It's been a damn good year IMO, and there is lots of room for growth.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 01:30 PM   #3129
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think something Spruce Meadows should do is expand their beer selection to include a gamut of local craft breweries. Big Rock is always awesome, but so are the other ones that are coming up. And what a better place to have a wide-ranging beer experience than at a soccer game?

Imagine if they set up a permanent 'Craft Beer Hub' pavilion where many local breweries have a stand set up, and people have a wide ranging selection at their fingertips. It would be so awesome and just add to the local Calgary experience!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 01:41 PM   #3130
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will never happen, but I would love for some of those fancy buildings like British House opened up as pop-up pubs (including Muta's Craft Beer Hub). The walk from the parking and shuttle areas would be so much more interesting. That walk already has a neat, old world feel to it. Add some beer and suddenly that 10 minute walk can take someone 2 hours and bring in thousands of revenue for Spruce Meadows.

The above statement is a preview of what will happen to this thread until we have some real news, transfers, 2020 fixtures released, etc.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 01:48 PM   #3131
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

My liver can only handle so much...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 03:39 PM   #3132
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
My liver can only handle so much...
So can your sponsorship dollars. My guess is that Big Rock would not be overly enthused to have competition.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 04:16 PM   #3133
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So can your sponsorship dollars. My guess is that Big Rock would not be overly enthused to have competition.
I agree entirely.

But on a tangent, I know this was the first time you were out to a game and I'm curious to know your thoughts?
Old 11-04-2019, 07:16 PM   #3134
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I agree entirely.

But on a tangent, I know this was the first time you were out to a game and I'm curious to know your thoughts?
Parking/getting in/out sucked, we drove because I only live 10 minutes from Spruce Meadows. It took me 25 minutes to buy a hot dog because 5 people working a stand could only serve 1 person at a time (urge to kill rising).

But you could say that about pretty much any sporting event.

I loved the venue. I thought I'd hate it, but I really liked it. Spruce Meadows is just a weird layout for anything but as much as I dislike horses and showjumping (long story) its a beautiful place. I agree that they should consider stands/vendors for beer for the walk from the parking lot because its a bit of a hike and could enhance some atmosphere.

Then you get to the main area and it was awesome. I'm not big on the games or the advertisers or whatever else, but you could see kids and families loved it and it was really cool with a vibrant atmosphere and everyone likes free stuff.

It was very organized which I like.

I was sitting in the very back row of the main stand which I thought had a really good sightlines, sure, sometimes you cant see the player or the ball if its right up against the near touchline but thats a fairly minor complaint.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised and I'd definitely go again. I thought I'd have a huge beef with prices but my seats were ~$25 and I spent about that again on food, etc. which is not outrageous.

The weather definitely helped, it was a very pleasant day for a game.

I remember when I was playing I loved playing in the worst conditions. Rain, sleet, snow, whatever, bring it on! But as a spectator that would suck so the nice weather was a bonus.

So as a complete neutral I came in and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Except for that one player on Forge with the antics. I'd leave a bit on him after every touch if I were playing. And their goalkeeper with the absurd time-wasting BS.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #3135
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Really tough loss to end the year, but what a great year for the team and soccer in Calgary. So close to getting that goal, especially with Malonga just miss hitting his header. I think Wheeldon got his tactics a bit wrong today with not starting Escalante, and then again not focusing the attack on him when he came on. But at the end of the day we did dominate the game and unfortunately lost to an inferior team. I think the pitch hurt us this time with the ball bouncing up while we were in attack. Get those stupid horses off the pitch at the start, and stop using tanker trucks to water the grass.

Loved the huge crowd, really hope they give more options to get food/drink in the supporters area next year as the lineups are huge. Also get a pop up store/van on Stephen Ave next Spring/Summer selling tickets and merchandise, I think it is absolutely crazy that they do not do this already.

Also Hamilton with no class in victory, running to the supporters and grabbing themselves instead of celebrating with their fans (hats off to everyone who traveled for either leg). Is this game was in Europe they would have been pelted with anything not bolted down. They were also lucky the ref allowed them to persistent foul and do all the play acting and time wasting they wanted.

Look forward to next year, hopefully less mid week games, and lets get that attendance average solidly in the 4000s.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheevers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 10:55 AM   #3136
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheevers View Post
Also get a pop up store/van on Stephen Ave next Spring/Summer selling tickets and merchandise, I think it is absolutely crazy that they do not do this already.
This is actually a damn good idea, you're absolutely right. They're always selling lots of merch every game at SM. If the Cavs had a small retail shop on Stephen Ave, or on 17th, I think it would be terrific marketing. Put TV's on, run Cavs / CPL highlights in there and show the city what the Cavs are all about.

I know people who would buy stuff for sure if accessing their merch was easier. Online it's a meh experience with SM's garbage website, and going all the way down to SM for merch only doesn't make much sense to many fans. This is a great way to keep the Cavs is people's minds in the off-season, and have the players make appearances / run small footy games in front of the store!

Last edited by Muta; 11-05-2019 at 10:57 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 12:02 PM   #3137
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

The pop-up store came up earlier (or before) the season. They must do this.

I find that there is a fair bit of awareness around town among soccer people and even some non-soccer friends have brought it up in conversation, and a lot of that has spread organically. But they definitely need to get into the minds of the general public and a pop-up downtown and even a rotating pop-up in some malls, special events, etc. around town would do wonders for their profile in this city. Good old fashioned grassroots marketing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 03:57 PM   #3138
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm too excited to not share. I not only renewed my seats, but they let me add a single in the supporters section! It might mean that I give away my seats a few times through the year to be able to "sit" there, but I just had to do it. Front row, and I'm super excited about this!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 04:09 PM   #3139
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm too excited to not share. I not only renewed my seats, but they let me add a single in the supporters section! It might mean that I give away my seats a few times through the year to be able to "sit" there, but I just had to do it. Front row, and I'm super excited about this!
Thanks for posting! It reminded me to buy seasons tickets. Anyways. Although I am still bitter, I am proud to say that my dad and I are officially season ticket holders! We will make sure to bring the energy to 201.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:11 PM   #3140
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
The ironic thing is you won't even be physically sitting in those seats all season
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge