Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-04-2019, 12:26 PM   #101
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
This show is outstanding, can’t believe there’s been pushback against it. Looking Glass episode was the best

That FBI assistant is definitely lube man and saved Looking Glass, right?
I wholeheartedly agree, this show is absolutely brilliant........an elephant....what?!?!? Lmao!
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:32 PM   #102
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Random thing I noticed.

The music played during Veidt’s trial is from Mozart’s Requiem (Lacrimosa). The film also used Mozart’s Requiem (requiem aeternam) near the end after he pulls off his plan and Dr Manhattan gets all big crashing into his Antarctica base.

It definitely isn’t a coincidence but I’m not sure if there’s any other significance to it.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:39 PM   #103
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

Is Trieu’s daughter a clone? She bought Veidt’s company and he seems to know how to make clones. Those nightmares sounded an awful lot like what could be passed on memories. But Trieu herself isn’t old enough to be alive during Vietnam. A clone of Trieu’s mother perhaps?

[insert self pat on the back gif here]
Old 12-04-2019, 02:07 PM   #104
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Triple post time!

What an amazing episode. So fantastic. That cover of of Bowie’s Life on Mars over the credits was beautiful.

I’m in awe of how much I love this show. I had some serious doubts someone like Lindelof would be able to pull it off but apparently Watchmen is one of his biggest inspirations for getting into writing and it shows. I was also relieved to hear he wanted to craft something in the vein of True Detective, as in this is a self contained story. There may be an opportunity for a S2 but he may not be involved and has no plans to stretch this out or have it end on a cliffhanger.

Did John or Angela choose the name Kal as a wink/hint to his true identity? A little nod to superman and Dr Manhattan’s powers?

During the trial they said it was day 365 so I definitely would not be surprised if the crash was Veidt and we’ve been seeing a shifted timeline.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 12-04-2019 at 02:10 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 10:58 PM   #105
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I’m sorry for spamming this thread but something I’ve been thinking about for a while. Since the first time we saw it actually.

What if the gold statue that Trieu has of Veidt is Veidt? Maybe he’s dead, maybe he’s frozen like Han Solo or something. Maybe it’s his prison and he’s in stasis and the whole thing is all some weird version of Nostalgia he’s experiencing.

I’ve not read/watched any theories or online speculation so maybe this is all stuff people have already talked about online. Or maybe they’re just crackpot theories I made up.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 12-05-2019 at 11:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 05:41 AM   #106
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nope, keep spamming! Enjoying your takes, Cecil. Just nothing of my own to add

Noticed the one year thing at Viedt's trial as well. Not sure what to make of it.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 08:25 AM   #107
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I’m sorry for spamming this thread but something I’ve been thinking about for a while. Since the first time we saw it actually.

What if the gold statue that Trieu has of Veidt is Veidt? Maybe he’s dead, maybe he’s frozen like Han Solo or something. Maybe it’s his prison and he’s in stasis and the whole thing is all some weird version of Nostalgia he’s experiencing.

I’ve not read/watched any theories or online speculation so maybe this is all stuff people have already talked about online. Or maybe they’re just crackpot theories I made up.
Inverse.com has some great Watchmen theories, including this one. It makes total sense, as they made a point of drawing attention to how old the statue was. It could also tie back into the meteor theory, for why Lady Trieu would need the land rights, as Veidt landed in statue form on the farm, and Lady Trieu just hasn't found a way to wake him up yet, or maybe the clock has something to do with when Veidt will wake up on his own, or perhaps Veidt gave written instruction to build the giant clock, and he will wake up at a time which coincides with some big event.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:17 AM   #108
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

And what further reinforced it this week was the zoom in on Adrian’s real face at his trial scene then a fade to the gold statue and a zoom out. Almost as if it was more than a clever scene transition and that they were trying to hint at something.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:46 AM   #109
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I totally think the statue is actually Veidt.

As for the trial being a year, I think it serves several purposes: (1) keeps up the time frame that for Veidt every episode is a year; (2) establishes that travel to Europa to save him isn't instantanious, ala Game if Thrones teleportation.

I don't know if the timeline lines up for Veidt's disappearance and return though. Was it 7 years since he was declared dead? As in he disappeared in 2012 and declared dead in 2019?

Ep1 = 1 year, I'm going to write a play
Ep2 = 2 years, performs the play
Ep3 = 3 years, tests space suit confirms Veidt
Ep4 = 4 years, the Clone Wars without JarJar Binks
Ep5 = 5 years, sends message
Ep6 = not present
Ep7 = 6 years, trial

Yeah I'm not sure that the timeline works. But it might?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:59 AM   #110
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I missed it when did it say that every episode for him is a year?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:03 PM   #111
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

It hasn't said it outright, but it kind of hints it. At the beginning the cakes had different numbers of candles on them, and the trial lasted a whole year (the judge says day 365 of the trial), so that's been the theory.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 01:27 AM   #112
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Maybe his punishment at the trial is being turned into or imprisoned in the statue. Trieu after seeing the message, finds a way to get the statue back to Earth. This is how she knows when and where it will land.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:35 AM   #113
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read an interview earlier in the season with one of the writers or producers (I don't remember if it was Lindelof or someone else) where it was stated that Veidt's story jumps ahead a year per episode. So, it's not just a fan theory. It has been confirmed (but not on the show yet).
Old 12-08-2019, 09:00 PM   #114
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Probably my least favorite episode so far. Seems really heavy handed in its explanations; doesn't trust the audience to get it. I get they're trying to show how he experiences reality and how different it is, but I feel like I had my face mushed in it.

And they still don't end up explaining how he ends up caught, though I guess maybe that remains to be explained.

Special effects were kinda poor IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 09:42 PM   #115
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

In liked the explanation for Ozymandius' prison though. It's not a prison, the inhabitants are just in love with him and won't let him leave.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 10:16 PM   #116
PegCityFlamesFan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Probably my least favorite episode so far. Seems really heavy handed in its explanations; doesn't trust the audience to get it. I get they're trying to show how he experiences reality and how different it is, but I feel like I had my face mushed in it.

And they still don't end up explaining how he ends up caught, though I guess maybe that remains to be explained.

And here I am.going wow one of the best episodes of tv I've seen.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:35 PM   #117
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegCityFlamesFan View Post
And here I am.going wow one of the best episodes of tv I've seen.
I agree. I enjoyed it immensely and just came here to post that it was one of the best hours of television I've ever seen
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 10:26 AM   #118
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that they did such a good job at conveying just how frustrating dealing with Dr. Manhattan can be, the way he knows what is going to happen but seems entirely unwilling to stop bad things from happening. With that they do a good job of showing how he can accidentally mess with events by trying to use his 'time power' to much. The loop between Abar and Reeves for example. It felt like they did nearly as good of a job of disembodying Jon Ostermann as the Graphic novel did.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:31 AM   #119
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post

I agree with you on the special effects, or the rendering of Manhattan specifically.

That said, Its not to early to start wrapping things up. With two episodes left in the entire series, they are allowed to have exposition through dialogue. There is enough 'what is going to happen next' to make me want to watch the next two episodes, the puzzle is almost over, time for a conclusion.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:32 AM   #120
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pretty sure there's just one episode left.
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote