Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Interior paint brands you like

Sticking the thread here since I don't think the Off Topic board needs such a specific thread..

Looking at re-painting the interior of the house. So far, I've used Behr Premium Plus Ultra to handle the trim and baseboards, and it seems fine to me, but now its time for the walls.

I've tried researching this online, but its a total quagmire of opinions and downright religion about the brand of paint - it's as bad as an Android/iPhone debate!

I'm considering just going with Behr for the walls too. I don't really care about low VOC's and such - I just want a paint that is easy to apply (I need something forgiving, I don't paint often, although I'm prepared to take my time to do the best job I can) and looks good, that trumps health. Everything is getting two coats, so I'm not super worried about initial coverage either. And I'm not painting in bold, dark colours, which I know can also be a trickier proposition in terms of the paint you go with.

So any recommendations, horror stories, etc?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Might get flamed for this, but a few weeks ago I tried Origins - by Benjamin Moore from Canadian tire. Very happy with the results. Built in primer. Covered nicely in two coats.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

In paints, they have certain compounds in them that provide the durability of the paint. The unfortunate part is that these are the compounds that cost the most in the paint, which is why you have varying pricing degrees from say Walls alive to the cheap stuff at other shops. You also can get varying types of bases in the paint, like at Maria Tomas which paints are actually clay based instead of chalk based like most other paints and there's a eco store on 17th that has milk based paints and other no voc type stuff.

Another thing is that the more of these compounds in the paint, the more of a pain in the .... it is to work with as the paint itself tends to dry more extremely quickly than normal. Paint in calgary, due to the lack of moisture in the air tends to dry before you're finished with covering a wall leading to streak marks and an imperfect looking job. One thing I would definitely recommend is getting a thinner and use it somewhat liberally (they have a specific product for latex, don't add paint thinner as that only works for oil based. I just can't remember the name of it off the top of my head)

When you're painting, try to be as quick as possible when doing it without doing a bad job so that way you get as smooth of a paint job as you can.

Also, do 3 coats as 2 usually doesn't quite look as good as 3 does.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, if you don't use a thinner, especially in calgary, that's what usually leads to bad looking jobs because the paint basically dries when you've only done one pass, so when you're going to the next section of unpainted wall, you're adding fresh wet paint to the dried out stuff causing the streak marks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Rona has a sale on this weekend for buy 2 cans get the 3rd free for a variety of brands. I am in need of repainting my house as the builder painted with a matte finish and it is far too easy to scuff and cannot be wiped down. Is semi-gloss the most commonly used paint for interior walls?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I used the Behr Plus Ultra Premium to paint a feature wall red. Looks great and only took 2 coats. Can be cleaned way easier then the cheapo developer base paint that scuffs just by looking at it.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
Rona has a sale on this weekend for buy 2 cans get the 3rd free for a variety of brands. I am in need of repainting my house as the builder painted with a matte finish and it is far too easy to scuff and cannot be wiped down. Is semi-gloss the most commonly used paint for interior walls?
That's more likely because he used a crappy paint more than the finish.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
That's more likely because he used a crappy paint more than the finish.
Truer words have never been spoken. Worst. Paint. Ever.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

I used Benjamin Moore on my whole house 8 years ago. It still holds up well. I say don't skimp on paint, the cost of paint is insignificant to the labour and effort involved. I think I spent $800 on BM paint 8 years ago and if I were to go with the cheaper Rona brand, I might have saved $300-$400 or so. That's $300-$400 saving on the whole house, I don't think too many people will care.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:46 AM   #10
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I quite like General Paints and will probably go with that brand for my place in kelowna. I have not found a brand/type for walls however that is really good for cleaning marks. Trim is fine as its usually a gloss or semi gloss which wipes and dries well with a damp cloth, but try cleaning any paint on drywall and it often makes it worse - I think the term is "flashing" where any sort of cleaning (even with just a damp cloth) leaves a smooth shiny spot that is very visible regardless of the colour. Has anyone found a solution for this?
Old 09-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

General Paints is the worst quality paint of all the main brands.

The reason why you're having issues with the paint is that you're actually wiping part of it off, general paint has almost none of the chemicals that provide durability.

Most of the walls in my house were painted with Benji Moore and i've cleaned the walls and it works without much issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #12
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

A couple of years ago my wife bought Benjamin Moore paint, and I keeled over when I found out it was something like $50/can.....I would now never consider another type of paint. When you use this stuff there is hardly any splatter because there is less water in it.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #13
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Benjamin Moore is definitely the paint you want to use. If I am painting one of my rental units it's the only paint I'll use.

Never cheap out on the paint you are using. It will save you money and time in the long run.

I have an account with them and get a pretty nice discount. If you go to a Benjamin Moore store try to negotiate a contractor's price. Tell them General paints or some other company offered you a discount and they should give you a discount.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #14
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

C2 at Walls Alive is the best paint out there bar none. Expensive, but the pigment density is unparallelled and as such is super easy to paint with.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #15
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Benjamin Moore is a great paint. Rona's lines are actually very good also. Their Rona private label and the SICO line get very good reviews. I've used them all and there isn't a whole lot of difference besides the price.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #16
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Benjamin Moore is a great paint. Rona's lines are actually very good also. Their Rona private label and the SICO line get very good reviews. I've used them all and there isn't a whole lot of difference besides the price.
I ended up buying 3 cans of the Rona line (buy 2 get one free). I haven't started yet so I cannot comment on the quality but I will update after I get off my lazy bum.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #17
simmonjam1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Benjamin Moore Natura paint. Painted my condo with it. I like how it doesn't smell like paint when you use it.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #18
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Last summer I painted with the premium Velspar from Lowe's. Eggshell has shine to it. The consistency was weird etc. Hated that paint. Do not recommend.

In fact, hated it so much that I decided to repaint this year just to cover that Velspar crap.
Found an old can of the paint that was used when the house was built. Went to Home Depot to match (it was their brand) as I really liked the look of it. Turns out it was their cheapest paint. Glidden. Used it, loved using it. Wash it daily (kids and their dirty paws) and no complaints. Eggshell is actually flat. Took two coats and I changed the color so it covers good.

That's my plug for cheap paint.

Used BM paint in our old house. Did not find it special in any way. No issues with it, just not sure the price premium was warranted.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #19
Skootenbeeten
Backup Goalie

Exp:

It isn't indoor but I tried that "Sharkskin" paint on my deck and it looks great. I need to put on another coat next year but I really like how tough it is.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #20
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
General Paints is the worst quality paint of all the main brands.

The reason why you're having issues with the paint is that you're actually wiping part of it off, general paint has almost none of the chemicals that provide durability.
General Paints is probably the most popluar brand among painters.

Covers great, easy to work with, and a good price.

The quality though....

If you are deciding to pay someone to paint your house ALWAYS ask for a paint upgrade even if it costs you a couple hundred more. It is very well worth it. Too many people don't care what paint is being used in their house.

The price difference between a 5 gallon pail from BM to GP is only about $25 to a painter so make sure they're using the good quality paint, not just the paint which is the easiest to work with.

BM is harder to work with but I guarantee you it will last at least twice as long as if you used GP.