Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Contemplating an addition

I am currently living in a smaller home in Renfrew, and am contemplating putting an extension onto my home. The addition would be about 450 sq ft or so, on a home about 850 sq ft in size right now. I have a coworker that is puting an addition onto her house, quite similar to what I am contemplating, with the exception that I would want to have a bathroom on the addition, whereas she is not. We are/would be both doing it ourselves (ie. no builder/developer).

I have a good idea of the cost of the addition. What I do not know is what is the house going to be worth if an addition is put on. The current house is great, it is an older house but it is in great repair, looks nice on the exterior, and is on a nice little street. Current value of the house is just under $400.

What do you think? How much extra would I be able to get for that additional 450 sq ft? What do you figure the break-even price is for what I should spend to do it?
Old 08-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

My experience, you are better off spending the addition money on updating your property.
I just went to a property in Willow park where a extension was added and after preparing a market analysis, this individual was not too thrilled. I put his property at the same value as other properties that were 3-500 square feet smaller but had done quite a bit of renovations.

The next question would be, what is easier to sell in the future... with most people looking for a home requiring little to no work, the updated property will typically sell before the older one with a extra 400 sq ft.

That is my 0.02 although there is really no black and white answer.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
My experience, you are better off spending the addition money on updating your property.
I just went to a property in Willow park where a extension was added and after preparing a market analysis, this individual was not too thrilled. I put his property at the same value as other properties that were 3-500 square feet smaller but had done quite a bit of renovations.

The next question would be, what is easier to sell in the future... with most people looking for a home requiring little to no work, the updated property will typically sell before the older one with a extra 400 sq ft.

That is my 0.02 although there is really no black and white answer.
I see what you are saying, but I would find it hard to justify updating a kitchen when there isn't room for a dining room. There would be updating involved, but that updating would be better spent if the addition was there.

Imagine if the house was completely updated. What would it look like then?
Old 08-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

If the entire house was updated + you had the addition it could still be questionable. The saying "You never want the nicest or worst house on the street" is very true. By doing an addition and update, are you going to be the "castle" on the street? Are people going to pay 500k for a home on a street with 400k properties or would they go elsewhere?

Then again, if an addition/update will bring your house to be on the same level as others in the area I would say go for it. You always want to get as much out of your place as buyers are willing to pay in the area.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 08-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
If the entire house was updated + you had the addition it could still be questionable. The saying "You never want the nicest or worst house on the street" is very true. By doing an addition and update, are you going to be the "castle" on the street? Are people going to pay 500k for a home on a street with 400k properties or would they go elsewhere?

Then again, if an addition/update will bring your house to be on the same level as others in the area I would say go for it. You always want to get as much out of your place as buyers are willing to pay in the area.

Nowhere near the castle. at 2500 sq ft, I might be pushing that. There is no standard size in my neighbourhood. Houses go from 300k to 800k on average, millions if you are on the ridge. In fact the average price in my neighbourhood is closer to 500k than 400k.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Likely not much help to you, but my parents added about a 500sq sunroom to their home in 2001ish. Everything worked great for 2 years but spring of yr 3 the roof leaked. I guess when you are adding on roofs, make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing because if they dont seel it correctly then water will get in, and freeze and then the roof will leak like a bat out of he77.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Does anyone have pricing for this kind of thing? We were hoping to push one side of our house about 5 feet, both stories (along with some interior rearrangement upstairs to add another bedroom). I'd want do do it without digging a foundation, just piers or whatever.

When I was researching it, it really did seem like it's close to a break even scenario when compared to moving.

If you are selling a $500,000 place you have well over $20,000 out the door on realtor/lawyer/moving costs. Often easily $25,000. That gives adding on a nice little head start.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
Does anyone have pricing for this kind of thing? We were hoping to push one side of our house about 5 feet, both stories (along with some interior rearrangement upstairs to add another bedroom). I'd want do do it without digging a foundation, just piers or whatever.

When I was researching it, it really did seem like it's close to a break even scenario when compared to moving.

If you are selling a $500,000 place you have well over $20,000 out the door on realtor/lawyer/moving costs. Often easily $25,000. That gives adding on a nice little head start.
You'll probably need a foundation of at least grade beams, to get under the frost line.

Pricing? it depends on how much you do yourself, and how much change there is to the more expensive systems (mechanical & electrical)
Old 08-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post

for pete's sake, do not cheap out on your foundation if your addition will be 2 storeys. ideally, i would like to see a 4' deep frost wall around the perimeter. next best option would be concrete piles, 4' deep min. (or even screw piles) with grade beam. anything less and you're throwing your money away.

The Following User Says Thank You to moncton golden flames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
Likely not much help to you, but my parents added about a 500sq sunroom to their home in 2001ish. Everything worked great for 2 years but spring of yr 3 the roof leaked. I guess when you are adding on roofs, make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing because if they dont seel it correctly then water will get in, and freeze and then the roof will leak like a bat out of he77.
Ya, I had this problem on my re-roofed infill. Problem is I got a reputable company to do it. I think they had a Rookie work on my house though.

The dumbo didn't place the bent metal on the top of my skylight under the shingles, he placed it over. Que 2 years later and I have a flooded bathroom and destroyed ceiling. The roofing company would even take responsibility, and after fighting with them, I ended up going through insurance.

Another casualty of 2008 era workmanship I guess. Still ticks me off these big outfits can hire morons, and you won't find out until years later.

I can tell you what company that was if you PM me.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Ya, I had this problem on my re-roofed infill. Problem is I got a reputable company to do it. I think they had a Rookie work on my house though.

The dumbo didn't place the bent metal on the top of my skylight under the shingles, he placed it over. Que 2 years later and I have a flooded bathroom and destroyed ceiling. The roofing company would even take responsibility, and after fighting with them, I ended up going through insurance.

Another casualty of 2008 era workmanship I guess. Still ticks me off these big outfits can hire morons, and you won't find out until years later.

I can tell you what company that was if you PM me.
i am placing no blame on you at all, this is just an observation. anytime you hire a trade to do work for you, always stay on top of them and ask questions. if anything doesn't look right, chances are it isn't. you pay them, they work for you, whether you get quality work done or not, you have to take some responsibility for hiring them, so be picky and tell them exactly what you want.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #12
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncton golden flames View Post
for pete's sake, do not cheap out on your foundation if your addition will be 2 storeys. ideally, i would like to see a 4' deep frost wall around the perimeter. next best option would be concrete piles, 4' deep min. (or even screw piles) with grade beam. anything less and you're throwing your money away.
From what I have seen, the nominal additional costs of a full basement addition is minor compared to the extra space gained.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:21 PM   #13
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
From what I have seen, the nominal additional costs of a full basement addition is minor compared to the extra space gained.
Yup, youlikely put in a grade beam 4 feet into the ground anyway, you might as well make it slightly deeper and pour a floor, and then you have a basement.

Basement space is quite cheap to build, and that's why pretty much every house in Calgary is built with a basement.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:35 AM   #14
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
i am placing no blame on you at all, this is just an observation. anytime you hire a trade to do work for you, always stay on top of them and ask questions. if anything doesn't look right, chances are it isn't. you pay them, they work for you, whether you get quality work done or not, you have to take some responsibility for hiring them, so be picky and tell them exactly what you want.
The company I hired is a well awarded roofer. They came in and gave me a portfolio of houses on my street they did in previous years. Short of me goingng up there and checking the roofing work, which I know little about past shingles, I couldn't really check their work.

At some point you have to trust, because you'll never know what these trades do in their entirety. You hire who is has top referrals, ask some questions, and after that there is some trust involved.

My point was that no matter what the pedigree of company, you can get screwed. I wasn't adding much more here past my refferal of what company it was via PM. Yes I guess I do have some blame, but I asked questions, went by refferal, and and picked a BBB company. What more do you expect?
Old 08-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #15
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Did you report the problem with BBB? I have always been curious what happens with them during a complaint process
Old 09-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #16
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:

Sorry, I typed pier, but meant pile. Absolutely want something deep enough so I don't have one roof turn into 2
Old 09-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #17
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Did you report the problem with BBB? I have always been curious what happens with them during a complaint process
No I didn't, and I fully admit that was really dumb of me. The whole time I assumed that the roofer would come through and fix it. By the time I realized that wasn't happening, it was too late to start a compliant. Lesson learned.

On the side, I did have friends do BBB complaints. I won't get into details but they were less than satisfied with the process. It seemed to them like a rigged process from the start to protect the business is what I was told.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #18
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you watch enough Mike Holmes, you'll never want to put an addition to your current home.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #19
JMN
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/blogs/in...170525310.html
Old 09-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #20
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been toying with enclosing our back covered deck and bumping out the house for a number of years. I had talked to my sister and brother in law (who are both architects) and they suggested a rule of thumb was $100/sq foot. They are in Vancouver so costs may vary but I think it's a reasonable guide.

The other thought I'd have on whether to do the work on not is how long you plan to be in the house. If the Reno improves your enjoyment of the house and would result in you staying there for a long time then I don't think it really matters too much. If it's move vs reno and the reno means you'll stick in the house for 10 years then might as well do it I'd say. If it wouldn't really change how long you'll live in the house then probably better to spend the money on freshening everything up.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice