Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #21
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Not true. Some drafts are clearly less hyped and for good reason. I've heard many quotes from scouts in past years that that particular year wasn't looking very deep. This year started off being compared to 2003 which is easily the best draft class in the last 20 years. Some scouts later countered that it wasn't as good as that hype indicated. But it still remains a deep year in the minds of most.

IMO this draft looks deeper than most of the drafts in the last 15 years. You have guys like Monahan, Lindholm, Nurse, etc who would be ranked in the top 5 in other years IMO. I think most of the top 5 in this draft would all be ranked ahead of Yakupov/Galchenyuk if they were in last years draft.

If you can't notice the difference in hype in deep/weak draft years then you aren't researching/reading enough about those draft years.
fair enough, i don't consider myself well-versed in prospects, etc, at all.

Do you think the lockout and the additional year of development incurred had any impact on this draft class being given an opportunity that other draft classes perhaps don't?
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #22
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I think the lockout prevented a few teams from rushing a few players. But 2003 was going to be a strong draft regardless. When you're getting talent like Getzlaf, Perry, Richards, Kesler, Parise in the last half of the first round you've got a deep draft. Hopefully this year is the same and we nab another core piece or two with the STL and PIT picks.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013 , depth , draft , nhl