Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2020, 12:45 PM   #501
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
It looks like the NWCAA is doing scrimmage-only evaluations, and they start in less than 3 weeks. I wonder how many of the players doing 3-on-3 and 4-on-4 tournaments or Jr. A "id camps" in August realize that they are legally required to wait 2 weeks before participating in another cohort?
How many will actually follow that thou.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:39 PM   #502
Csquared
Draft Pick

I honestly don't think many parents even know that their kids are only supposed to be in one sports cohort.
Csquared is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Csquared For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 11:07 PM   #503
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csquared View Post
I honestly don't think many parents even know that their kids are only supposed to be in one sports cohort.
I honestly think many parents just don't care and will do whatever they feel like as long as they don't get caught.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 06:55 PM   #504
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It looks like the NWCAA is doing scrimmage-only evaluations, and they start in less than 3 weeks. I wonder how many of the players doing 3-on-3 and 4-on-4 tournaments or Jr. A "id camps" in August realize that they are legally required to wait 2 weeks before participating in another cohort?
Sounds like the WHL is planning on resuming play in December. Not sure what the AJHL is doing. If this is the case then there may not be any ID camps to worry about that would conflict with elite tryouts.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:01 PM   #505
Suave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliemom View Post
How will HSL handle covid restrictions? I would think it will be against the rules to travel and play teams between AHS zones.
It will be interesting how the alternate leagues handle this. It doesn't really seem like there are enough teams in Calgary to make solid groupings without traveling. But seeing places like HDC hosting tournaments when those are supposed to be a no go right now, makes me think they will try skirting the rules.
Suave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:40 PM   #506
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I honestly think many parents just don't care and will do whatever they feel like as long as they don't get caught.
It depends on the risk profile for each family, I am not liking any of this and our kids will bow out from any sports involvement that involves BAU participation. I can’t do anything about the other parents though, it’s not something I can control or even worry about.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:48 AM   #507
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
People are the worst.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:58 AM   #508
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
People are the worst.
I think some legitimately have no idea about the rules. My son was in a Lacrosse summer drills camp and one of the parents I was talking to said her son is also in a summer hockey program and was just starting a week long hockey camp. The people who run the hockey program told her that if it was only drills it wasn't considered a cohort group.

The onus for some of this definitely falls on the leagues that are running these camps and summer programs. The programs being run by minor leagues are mostly run by parent volunteers but the ones that are run by private organizations really have no excuse for not being up to speed on the current requirements. And really the facilities that host these camps should also share some of the blame as they are the ones providing permitting but most of them really could care less after the booking is paid for.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:09 AM   #509
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
I think some legitimately have no idea about the rules. My son was in a Lacrosse summer drills camp and one of the parents I was talking to said her son is also in a summer hockey program and was just starting a week long hockey camp. The people who run the hockey program told her that if it was only drills it wasn't considered a cohort group.

The onus for some of this definitely falls on the leagues that are running these camps and summer programs. The programs being run by minor leagues are mostly run by parent volunteers but the ones that are run by private organizations really have no excuse for not being up to speed on the current requirements. And really the facilities that host these camps should also share some of the blame as they are the ones providing permitting but most of them really could care less after the booking is paid for.
That is exactly what we were told by the people running my son's hockey camps. All "social distant" so no need for cohorts. We are not allowed/supposed to watch so riddle me this. How does one do a checking clinic "social distant"?

The Following User Says Thank You to Mccree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 01:33 PM   #510
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For those of you with young officials as well, Hockey Alberta has just announced that in person clinics will not start until after the Thanksgiving weekend for levels 1 & 2. Levels 3 and above will be doing virtual sessions beginning late September
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:36 PM   #511
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

At our town hall presentation for minor hockey last night they announced that all coaches will be considered a part of the cohort. So if you want to coach you won't be able to play in your mens league.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:36 PM   #512
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Sounds like the WHL is planning on resuming play in December. Not sure what the AJHL is doing. If this is the case then there may not be any ID camps to worry about that would conflict with elite tryouts.
Saw this on Twitter today... The AJHL just announced that their regular season will be postponed but will instead have a "Development Season" starting August 31. (I assume teams must be getting some kind of federal subsidy or grant money?) It sounds like tryouts will continue on a regular schedule, so the normal process with MAAA should not be impacted?

https://www.ajhl.ca/media-centre/new...html?nID=17500
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 02:37 PM   #513
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
The Northstars appear to be doing physical distance skill evalutions to get number down to about 100 and the 3 Cohorts are created to finish evaluations.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:19 AM   #514
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
At our town hall presentation for minor hockey last night they announced that all coaches will be considered a part of the cohort. So if you want to coach you won't be able to play in your mens league.
Does that mean only coaching one age group as well? I would rather wear a mask on the ice than have to pick which kids team I want to coach for.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:36 AM   #515
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
Does that mean only coaching one age group as well? I would rather wear a mask on the ice than have to pick which kids team I want to coach for.
I beleive so but not 100% sure. If cohorts include coaches and you can only have one sport cohort, I don't see how you can coach two teams.

Old 08-24-2020, 01:01 PM   #516
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
I finally read the Hockey Calgary Return to play and they do clarifiy this in the FAQ

Coaches
Q. Are coaches part of the cohort number?
A. Coaches will not be part of cohorts at the U11 and up levels. Therefore they must
physical distance and will not be included in the cohort number. U7 and U9 will have
cohort coaches, who will be able to be in contact with players and will be part of the
cohort number. U7 and U9 can also have additional coaches who are physical distance
coaches and therefore are not part of the cohort and must physical distance.
Q. Can a coach be part of a U7 or U9 cohort and also coach (physically distanced) with a
different cohort?
A. Yes

https://www.hockeycalgary.ca/assets/...unity_July.pdf

Old 08-24-2020, 02:00 PM   #517
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
I finally read the Hockey Calgary Return to play and they do clarifiy this in the FAQ

Coaches
Q. Are coaches part of the cohort number?
A. Coaches will not be part of cohorts at the U11 and up levels. Therefore they must
physical distance and will not be included in the cohort number. U7 and U9 will have
cohort coaches, who will be able to be in contact with players and will be part of the
cohort number. U7 and U9 can also have additional coaches who are physical distance
coaches and therefore are not part of the cohort and must physical distance.
Q. Can a coach be part of a U7 or U9 cohort and also coach (physically distanced) with a
different cohort?
A. Yes

https://www.hockeycalgary.ca/assets/...unity_July.pdf
Awesome, I have a U9 and U11.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:18 PM   #518
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just saw on Twitter that Hockey Calgary has updated its Return To Play document. It addresses some of the cohort-coaching issues discussed on here, and provides a new structure for the cohorted mini-leagues. The city will be split into 3 regions, and there will be tiered mini leagues of 4 teams from different associations in each cohort. Each team will have only 10-12 players.

Quote:
Calgary will be divided into 3 Regions (TBC, subject to change)
o South – Blackfoot, Bow Valley, Knights, Southwest
o West – Glenlake, TW, Springbank, Bow River
o North – Crowfoot, NWW, McKnight, SVHA, (Saints, U18 only)
o GHC ‘mini-teams’ will be regional and may be a part of any of the 3 Regions
• Create Cohort Groups across the 4 Associations
• Ie. Cohort 1
o Bow River ‘Mini-Team’ of 10-12 players
o Springbank ‘Mini-Team’ of 10-12 players
o Glenlake ‘Mini-Team’ of 10-12 players
o Trails West ‘Mini-Team’ of 10-12 players
• Must practice & compete with ‘mini-teams’ from

https://www.hockeycalgary.ca/assets/..._27_UPDATE.pdf
Old 08-27-2020, 02:44 PM   #519
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I just saw on Twitter that Hockey Calgary has updated its Return To Play document. It addresses some of the cohort-coaching issues discussed on here, and provides a new structure for the cohorted mini-leagues. The city will be split into 3 regions, and there will be tiered mini leagues of 4 teams from different associations in each cohort. Each team will have only 10-12 players.

https://www.hockeycalgary.ca/assets/..._27_UPDATE.pdf
I think that is if we get to the competive season (Jan 2021) unitl then we are in the deveolpment season (house hockey)

Association Based Play
For each age category Associations create similar sized Cohorts of no more than 50 players based
on rankings from the physically distanced sorting/evaluation sessions. These Cohorts will now be
locked for the either the entirety of the Alberta Phase 2 relaunch, or until December 20 where
Hockey Calgary will have the opportunity after the 2-week winter holidays to create new cohorts.

Old 08-28-2020, 09:28 AM   #520
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
I think that is if we get to the competive season (Jan 2021) unitl then we are in the deveolpment season (house hockey)

Association Based Play
For each age category Associations create similar sized Cohorts of no more than 50 players based
on rankings from the physically distanced sorting/evaluation sessions. These Cohorts will now be
locked for the either the entirety of the Alberta Phase 2 relaunch, or until December 20 where
Hockey Calgary will have the opportunity after the 2-week winter holidays to create new cohorts.
You are right, house leagues of 48 players to start, to be broken into tiers of 12 after Christmas... going to be lots of hurt feelings when that happens.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nancy For This Useful Post: