Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-07-2020, 07:19 AM   #101
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
He was the best Flames forward. Hard to believe he was so good. Really nice to see him in another series before having to commit to him. Lucky he isn't up for arbitration as his current comparable player on the Flames are making 7 M and looking at a 10M offer sheet.

Now the Flames core is going to be broken up ... but because of cap rather than needing to change the mix.
So much stupid in one post.

PLEASE someone give us a $10M offer sheet on Sam Bennett. On ANY of our players. We need the draft picks.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 07:22 AM   #102
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sheesh, I'm happy Bennett is beasting in the playins, but the arbitrator would look at more than just 4 games haha, and keep Bennett over Backlund?? Whaaaaat??

Hopefully by the time the expansion draft happens that statement is true, but not right now it isn't.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 08:55 AM   #103
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
He was the best Flames forward. Hard to believe he was so good. Really nice to see him in another series before having to commit to him. Lucky he isn't up for arbitration as his current comparable player on the Flames are making 7 M and looking at a 10M offer sheet.

Now the Flames core is going to be broken up ... but because of cap rather than needing to change the mix.
Sam Bennett; scored 12 points this season - on pace for 18 pts. Half a mil per point? By that logic Gaudreau should be making around 35mil per season... a little rich I think.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:57 AM   #104
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
lol wut. Between Talbot 'stealing' the game yesterday and that comparable, I think you are still a little woozy after drinking too much last night.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:01 AM   #105
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I think he means that his comparable is Matthew Tkachuk who is making $7M and staring down an offer sheet at $10M.

Bennett is playing well, but certainly can't start using point per game regular season players as comparables, that's just nonsense.

I don't think an offer sheet is likely for Tkachuk, the biggest risk is a one year deal and going to free agency. I don't consider that very likely either though to be honest.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:14 AM   #106
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Love what Bennett is bringing so far, but 3 points in a 4 game qualifier is not going to result in some massive jump in salary, a slight one maybe.

Let's see if the Flames can actually win a real best of 7 against a tougher opponent, who isn't missing two of their best players.

That being said, watching Bennett and Lucic out there last night was a thing of beauty. The Flames have been such an easy team to play against for a while. Seeing that tandem just absolutely wear down the other team was great. They dominated board play, and every Jets player retrieving a puck was looking over their shoulder.

Bennett even seemed to be making some smart offensive plays, as his confidence grew. Lucic was also driving the net. Lucic was like a pitbull sticking up for the rest of the team. It's just accepted that 99% of the players in the league cannot stand up in a fight against him. His presence alone makes such a difference.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:18 AM   #107
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could be convinced for keeping Bennett over Backlund. Backlund will be 32 going on 33 when the expansion draft rolls around. The big IF is if Bennett starts showing consistency and what does Backlund look like as he progresses into his 30s. Backlund would have 3 years left on his contract that takes him to mid 30s.

I think the AAV 5.35M is a bit of a risk factor. Bennett will be 25 when the expansion draft rolls around. So keeping Bennett would help the team walk away from a contract that poses some risk as each year goes by.

From an asset point of view it could be keeping a player that will contribute for potentially 6+ years vs 3.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 09:26 AM   #108
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The big thing with Bennett is that his individual underlying numbers were always good - which means there were indications that his production struggle were luck/linemate based.

Here are some underlying advanced stats at 5v5 and where Bennett ranks on the team forwards over the last three seasons (minimum 1000 minutes played):

Underlying Stats:

Individual:
Individual Expected Goals Per 60 - 0.8 (1st)
Individual Corsi For Per 60 - 14.3 (3rd)
Individual Scoring Chances Per 60 - 9.2 (1st)
Individual High Danger Corsi For Per 60 - 4.3 (3rd)
Rebounds Created Per 60 - 1.1 (1st)
Hits Per 60 - 8.6 (2nd)
Shots Blocked Per 60 - 1.72 (4th)
Penalties Drawn Per 60 - 0.93 (4th)
Minors Per 60 - 1.26 (1st - this one is bad)

On Ice:

xGF%: 52.6 (5th)
Corsi %: 52.2 (8th)
HDCF%: 54.7 (3rd)

So he had pretty good underlying number, especially individually but a combination of linemates being unable to finish and his own poor shooting have limited his actual production:

Actual Production

Goals Per 60: 0.68 (7th)
Assists Per 60: 0.71 (10th)
Individual Shooting Percentage: 8.7% (9th)

Goals For %: 45.2% (10th)
On Ice Shooting Percentage: 6.45% (9th)
On Ice Save Percentage: .921 (3rd)
PDO: 0.985 (9th)

So he was a guy that generated a lot of his own chances, especially shot quality, but the puck didn't go in and his linemates didn't really help him a ton.

The other thing that's just different is that he looks confident at Center now, opposed to being frustrated about being stuck behind Gaudreau, Mangiapane, and Tkachuk at LW.

This might not just be "playoff Sam Bennett" but Bennett at Center with some talent on his wings.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 08-07-2020 at 09:48 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 09:27 AM   #109
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope Bennett lights things up in the playoff rounds as I'm sure it will catch the eye of a few GM's. Treliving would be best served to sell high here. I love what Bennett brings in the playoffs but the Flames need players that can bring it in the regular season as well.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 09:29 AM   #110
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Bennett is clearly better then Ryan, even in the regular season when playing with Lucic and Dube. I’ll continue to stand by that. Ryan is not a bad player, but really on this team better utilized as a 4th line centre.
Agreed. Bennett did look good playing C during the reg season between Lucic and Dubé.

Whether it will be Ward, or otherwise, heading into next season I hope this line stays together. The Flames have invested far too much to give up/cash in on Bennett now.

After all the Flames and Bennett have been through, if he can turn into a strong, very strong, third line C, you have to be happy with that.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:29 AM   #111
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I hope Bennett lights things up in the playoff rounds as I'm sure it will catch the eye of a few GM's. Treliving would be best served to sell high here. I love what Bennett brings in the playoffs but the Flames need players that can bring it in the regular season as well.
Or, this is a player who took time to develop and finally has a coach playing him in the right position.

Bennett was Jankowski's wing all season. Jankowski isn't an NHL centre.

Also, what is Tree trying to accomplish? If it's winning a Stanley Cup, then how do you "sell high" on a player like Benny? Is he getting someone who is going to help you win a Stanley Cup more? Doubt it.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 09:40 AM   #112
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've always been on the fence with Benny, talent, drive, and presence all check out. Hockey IQ has been the x factor for me. Bennett took a stupid hooking penalty early in game 1 of the series and I thought for the 1000th time "man he just doesn't get it".

And then last night you see him at full speed, causing rather than reacting, and basically being a force out there, and yeah, it causes me to wonder about whether we are seeing what this guy is (and has been held back from by poor linemates) or just what this guy is when he has his head in it (and the question of course is can he keep his head here for a season?).

I think it would be stupid to "sell high" if this is the window where the Flames have that nice balance of young guys who are panning out (Andersson, Valimaki maybe, Dube, Mangiapane), and skilled "veterans" some of whom are also not that old - Bennett, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Gaudrea, Monahan, Backlund, maybe even Looch.

This does go to show how important that #6 pick was though - if Bennett pans out, the team is good enough, the slotting is better, everything. If he doesn't, the team is maybe not good enough.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:47 AM   #113
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Or, this is a player who took time to develop and finally has a coach playing him in the right position.

Also, what is Tree trying to accomplish? If it's winning a Stanley Cup, then how do you "sell high" on a player like Benny? Is he getting someone who is going to help you win a Stanley Cup more? Doubt it.
If this is finally the "real" Bennett then they better be sure, and they better keep him in the right position going forward, because with Lucic eating up over $5 million of cap in the bottom six the Flames can't afford to have Bennett chewing up north of $2 million while only playing 12 minutes per game and scoring only 15 or so points.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:51 AM   #114
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
If this is finally the "real" Bennett then they better be sure, and they better keep him in the right position going forward, because with Lucic eating up over $5 million of cap in the bottom six the Flames can't afford to have Bennett chewing up north of $2 million while only playing 12 minutes per game and scoring only 15 or so points.
I don't think what we're seeing is only because it's Playoff Bennett. I think it's because he's getting to play with the best linemates he's had in 4 years, with consistency, and he's playing centre (his natural position).

Think about how utterly baffling it is that Jankowski got to play centre all season despite being horrible.

Next season, Bennett being played at centre with solid linemates will be the big test for him. Give him consistency, give him quality linemates.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:57 AM   #115
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

People talking about selling high on Bennett after this performance.

Without this performance, the Flames would likely be going to a game 5, or would already be eliminated by a Jets team without it's two biggest names and a porous defence and have failed to make the playoffs.

Lucic-Bennett-Dube is the third line you roll with next season. No question.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 10:04 AM   #116
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Exactly, the Flames have 3 effective lines. That is what you need and what made them successful a couple years ago. Being able to effectively roll 3 lines helps keep other teams on their heels and leads to break down, mismatches, and opportunities. Having a 4th line that is responsible is the cherry on top.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:12 AM   #117
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

And it boils down to proper deployment. Maybe him toiling away the last two years stapled to Janko was a development thing. All I was saying that if his play continues like this with that 3rd line and they dont break it up, we could be lucking out. Remember Backlund didn't break out until later on as well.

I'm not counting chickens before they hatch, just excited to see this journey take place. And perhaps give management a wrinkle in their expansion plans if he wasnt in the plan. But O think he always has been. Honestly. Tree has always held Bennett in high regards even through the struggles.

Anyways, 3rd line is great. Hope they keep playing this strong.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 10:18 AM   #118
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:

Lol. This post. Brightened my morning right up.

Haha.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:22 AM   #119
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Playing with Jankowski and other 4th liners, what did we see from Bennett?

A guy that tried to do too much by himself - wreckless, toe-dragging, penalties, shoot from anywhere. All of these things eroded his confidence and his ice-time.

Now he is being put in a situation that fits him better and he is running with it.

You don't 'sell high' here, you cultivate it, help raise his confidence, and give him the opportunity to become a better player.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:28 AM   #120
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

Bennett was Jankowski’s wing for the last 3 seasons..

SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
irrational hate , sammy benzo