Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2018, 11:57 AM   #81
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

And Carey Wilson was one of the highest profile prospects to come into the team late-year and made an impact with 3 goals in the 83/84 series where we pushed the Oilers to 7 games.

He was a pretty good player for us throughout his career.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:59 AM   #82
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Nylander
Mangiapane - Bennett - Neal
Dube - Ryan - Czarnik
Hathaway, Foo

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki - Van Riemsdyk
Kylington

Rittich
Backup
Nice roster, I took the time to do the trades and signings on capfriendly, your line-up has the Flames at $3,475,435 for a back-up goalie.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:59 AM   #83
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
What is the scouting report on Nylander?
Elite passer and playmaker. That's my scouting report on him from having watched him. He's very good at executing cross ice passes on the powerplay.

He's a dynamic talent for sure. He doesn't make much sense for the Flames considering we're just about to have to give Tkachuk a massive raise. I mean I guess we could fit him in for a couple years if we cheaped out on goalies next year and went with Rittich/Gillies but I doubt that's what most of you want.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:59 AM   #84
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Yeah but nobody talks about Carey Wilson.

I didn’t know who that was until it was mentioned.

Y’all old as hell.
Quoted for truth.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 12:06 PM   #85
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

What about trading for Nylander, signing him to a great value RFA contract as Tre likes to do, and then flipping him for a goalie?

What willing partners might play along? Nashville and Saors?

We know that Tre is a wizard with contracts and that might have some asset value in itself.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:11 PM   #86
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

it's not that I don't like Nylander, but between what it's going to cost from a trade perspective and what he's asking for in a contract, he's not worth the cost.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:33 PM   #87
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it might sound crazy but I wonder if the Leafs can put together a package involving Nylander ++ to LA for Doughty. I have heard rumours that Doughty is not happy with the current direction of the Kings and I have no doubt he would waive to go to the Leafs who are not only contenders but close to his home in London. If the Leafs are serious about breaking that SC drought DD would be a huge addition. Something like Nylander+Gardiner+1st in 2019+prospect?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:40 PM   #88
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
What about trading for Nylander, signing him to a great value RFA contract as Tre likes to do, and then flipping him for a goalie?

What willing partners might play along? Nashville and Saors?

We know that Tre is a wizard with contracts and that might have some asset value in itself.
It most likely wouldn't work.

The reports are that he is unwilling to sign a great value contract with Toronto because he knows he is at the top of the list of being moved out when Toronto has to deal with cap issues. Players aren't eligible for NTC/NMCs until their UFA years.

From Nylander's point of view he doesn't want to sign at a "discount" with Toronto to be traded later on to a team with more cap space. He wants what he thinks is full value right now in the case that he does end up getting traded.

Likely wants the same value from any team that he gets traded to.

Last edited by sureLoss; 11-11-2018 at 12:43 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 12:57 PM   #89
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
And he walked to sign in Detroit. Didn't play a game for Calgary until he was signed in 2008.

Exactly, thanks.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:01 PM   #90
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default HNIC: Nylander officially on the trade block

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
The Flames received a compensatory second-round pick.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...rticle4137151/

Yeah but in all the other trades you listed it was players for players/picks. Why bother adding a quick swap of some low round picks? You make it sounds like Cujo was acquired for a 3rd round pick which isn’t the case at all.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:33 PM   #91
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I know it might sound crazy but I wonder if the Leafs can put together a package involving Nylander ++ to LA for Doughty. I have heard rumours that Doughty is not happy with the current direction of the Kings and I have no doubt he would waive to go to the Leafs who are not only contenders but close to his home in London. If the Leafs are serious about breaking that SC drought DD would be a huge addition. Something like Nylander+Gardiner+1st in 2019+prospect?
It would have to be one hell of a prospect.

Also, Doughty is the face of the franchise. Can't see LA listening unless they get wowwed.

Then of course there is the fact that Doughty's cap hit is $11M. How does TO make that work?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:36 PM   #92
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gardiner is a UFA at the end of the season. His only trade value would be at the deadline and it's doubtful the Leafs would part ways without a solid replacement as he's kind of their TJ Brody.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:37 PM   #93
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
It would have to be one hell of a prospect.

Also, Doughty is the face of the franchise. Can't see LA listening unless they get wowwed.

Then of course there is the fact that Doughty's cap hit is $11M. How does TO make that work?
They are prepared to pay Nylander 6.5. Add on Gardiner's 4.5 and there is the 11M. I can totally see LA listening given the state of their team, they are an aging team that is looking down the barrel of a rebuild. If the prospect was Liljegren I think the Kings might bite.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:38 PM   #94
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Gardiner is a UFA at the end of the season. His only trade value would be at the deadline and it's doubtful the Leafs would part ways without a solid replacement as he's kind of their TJ Brody.
Well I was assuming the Kings would sign him.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:45 PM   #95
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
They are prepared to pay Nylander 6.5. Add on Gardiner's 4.5 and there is the 11M. I can totally see LA listening given the state of their team, they are an aging team that is looking down the barrel of a rebuild. If the prospect was Liljegren I think the Kings might bite.
If you're LA, why pay Nylander and Gardiner $11M (and Gardiner is a UFA) when you can pay the best defenseman in the NHL $11M?

A late 1st and Liljegren isn't convincing them.

If Toronto asks about Doughty, the reply is Matthews.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:01 PM   #96
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you're LA, why pay Nylander and Gardiner $11M (and Gardiner is a UFA) when you can pay the best defenseman in the NHL $11M?

What if that defenseman doesn't really want to be there anymore? I think DD is one of the top D men in the NHL but if the Kings asked for Matthews Toronto hangs up. The best D man in the NHL at 28 is not as valuable to you if you are looking at an extended length of not contending compared to some very good young assets
Old 11-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #97
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Yeah but in all the other trades you listed it was players for players/picks. Why bother adding a quick swap of some low round picks? You make it sounds like Cujo was acquired for a 3rd round pick which isn’t the case at all.
Yes, okay then, Flames trade a 3rd for the Rights to Curtis Joseph in order to receive a 2nd round compensatory pick.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:08 PM   #98
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Because you need to rebuild and you need a bunch of young good pieces to build around, not just one superstar. L.A. is starved for offensive prospects, so Nylander is a great fit for their rebuild.

I actually think it makes a lot of sense, I just don't know if the Leafs have enough pieces to make that deal happen.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:15 PM   #99
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Because you need to rebuild and you need a bunch of young good pieces to build around, not just one superstar. L.A. is starved for offensive prospects, so Nylander is a great fit for their rebuild.

I actually think it makes a lot of sense, I just don't know if the Leafs have enough pieces to make that deal happen.
No, it doesn’t make sense for the Leafs to be paying Matthews 11m+, Marner 8.5m+, and Tavares 11m. I realize the cap is going up but paying Doughty 11m along with the other 3 I’ve mentioned would really hurt them in building a competitive squad.

The Leafs are better off in figuring out a trade between the Canes, receiving a player like Pesce who is signed long term on a very friendly deal.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #100
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Don't forget Frederick Gaudreau and his cousin Barclay Goodrow!

*sigh* Turn in your Flames Fan card.
Turn in my fan card for being born in the late 80s and only remembering flames hockey from about '95 on? Seems unfair.

No, no. I think you should turn in your man card, for being a dinosaur!
[dwaynejohnson.gif]
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote