Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2022, 09:27 AM   #4201
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope people continually bring up her past and make sure Albertans know where Danielle's real position is on things. I hope the NDP and others mop the floor with her with her past social media presence. The internet doesn't forget things.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 09:31 AM   #4202
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If you had to guess, what would you say are the main reasons? No kids, or make too much money? And would you say they are traditionally Conservative, or NDP? Just curious exactly who feels slighted.
People struggling financially feel slighted. Most adults are not having kids before the age of 30 these days, and that does not translate directly into riches. There are many people who can not have kids, but being excluded feels like a punishment. Have a miscarriage? Here's a little added #### you. Political views don't seem to matter, but my area is very conservative.
Old 11-24-2022, 09:35 AM   #4203
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Well it’s because kids are important to the future of society, they’re a lot of work and money, and not nearly enough people today are having them. So it makes sense that people with kids get prioritized.

Anyone childless who bitches that this isn’t fair should just get a side hustle, it’s WAY less time and stress than you’d have to commit being the parent of a child and you’ll make way more than 1200 bucks in a year. that’s the funny part about all this crying about the poor childless people that aren’t getting any free money, like 600 bucks is fair comp for all the hours you have to put in as a parent, lazy asses. This program is dumb and shouldn’t exist but gimme a break.
This is an aside, but you seem to have the fast track on effective side hustles. Could you elaborate, or even start a thread on the subject. This is a big thing right now, and I see the subject mentioned quite a bit, but the reality is that I don't know anyone actually doing it.
Old 11-24-2022, 09:37 AM   #4204
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
The point is, how many kids you have is irrelevant. A family making 175K/year simply does not need a cash infusion of $600. By using the fact that you have children to incite a parental response that you are 'owed' is bottom of the barrel pandering.

It's simple to identify a base income that would trigger the reallocation. If both parents don't make that amount, they receive $1200 for their family. If someone else is struggling to pull in 30K/year, but don't have kids. You know what... pay them.

Giving $1200 to a couple that has two kids and a combined income of 175K/year is giving them money to help winterize their 500K 5th wheel.

What the hell are you all talking about "society", the the survival of the human race? Talk about raising the righteous bar way to high. It reminds me of a book that read once, called "The Puppy Who Lost his Way". The world was changing, and the puppy was getting bigger........ and nobody, especially the little boy "Society", knew where to find them. Except that the puppy was a dog, but the industry my friends, that was a revolution.
lol, their $500k fifth wheel. A couple making $175k/year is two teachers. It's squarely middle class, unless you want to argue teachers make an above middle class wage, which I'm obviously open to hearing.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 09:45 AM   #4205
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Why don’t they give the 600 bucks to the 1%ers and just let it trickle down?
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 09:49 AM   #4206
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is an aside, but you seem to have the fast track on effective side hustles. Could you elaborate, or even start a thread on the subject. This is a big thing right now, and I see the subject mentioned quite a bit, but the reality is that I don't know anyone actually doing it.
Sounds like the World Financial Group.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 10:35 AM   #4207
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Why don’t they give the 600 bucks to the 1%ers and just let it trickle down?
That's where it came from in the first place, so why not?
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 10:46 AM   #4208
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
lol, their $500k fifth wheel. A couple making $175k/year is two teachers. It's squarely middle class, unless you want to argue teachers make an above middle class wage, which I'm obviously open to hearing.
we can probably argue this all day long as we likely all have a different idea of what middle class is. To me household income of $175K isn't squarely middle class but at the high end.

When your take home is 8 or 9K per month, you're doing very well for yourselves.
so I guess I am going to argue that teaching is not a profession that is a lunchbucket middle class job.

for middle class, they're the 1%ers.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 11:12 AM   #4209
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

$175K in household income is about the 82nd-83rd percentile for Alberta, so I guess it depends how you divide things up. If 70% of households are middle class, then yes. If 33% or 50% are, then no.

Certainly not squarely middle class though. By basically any definition, that level of income would be right at the very top of that group.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 11:22 AM   #4210
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Inflation skews everything, $175k for a dual income family is pretty damn 'middle class' these days.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 11:22 AM   #4211
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
$175K in household income is about the 82nd-83rd percentile for Alberta, so I guess it depends how you divide things up. If 70% of households are middle class, then yes. If 33% or 50% are, then no.

Certainly not squarely middle class though. By basically any definition, that level of income would be right at the very top of that group.
Not disputing this, but can you link the source? The following has the average family income in Calgary as $141,000 way back in 2016, which does seem high to me.

https://www03.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/hmip-p...erageAndMedian
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 11:38 AM   #4212
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Sweet ####ing hell! Teachers make nearly 90k a year?!!! How long is a teaching degree? I need to get my ass into University!
Cycling76er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 11:57 AM   #4213
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
onlyfans or fansly
Old 11-24-2022, 11:57 AM   #4214
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycling76er View Post
Sweet ####ing hell! Teachers make nearly 90k a year?!!! How long is a teaching degree? I need to get my ass into University!
Median teachers salary in Alberta is 80k a year. Starting is around 55-60k I believe.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 11:59 AM   #4215
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
i don't think they make this right out of the blocks, but likely within 3 or so years of full time employment.

i am too lazy to do this right now, but i believe that most boards pay grids are post on the net via negotiated CBA's
Old 11-24-2022, 01:20 PM   #4216
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Most universities require six years of education to be a teacher. You need a Bachelor's degree in a teachable subject, then a two year after degree.

Last edited by Eric Vail; 11-24-2022 at 01:54 PM.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Vail For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 01:20 PM   #4217
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Not disputing this, but can you link the source? The following has the average family income in Calgary as $141,000 way back in 2016, which does seem high to me.

https://www03.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/hmip-p...erageAndMedian
It's based on the 2021 census for Alberta:

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...1&HEADERlist=0

13% of households make over $200K and 12% make between $150-200K. So assuming the distribution in the latter is slightly weighted towards the lower end, that would be 17-18% over $175K.

Now I don't know if COVID is messing that up, but the distribution is relatively similar to the 2016 census, so I don't think it really is.

And that's for the whole province; cities would tend to have higher household incomes (sometimes significantly so). Though $141K sounds pretty high unless it's a bunch of high earners dragging the average up. Looking at the 2016 data for Calgary, and it looks like the median household income is just under $100K (227K of 467K are over $100K).
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 01:34 PM   #4218
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Yep. And they only work 3/4 of a day and 2/3 of a year. They can supplement that by working in the summers if they want to do the same hours as most other jobs.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 01:37 PM   #4219
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Yep. And they only work 3/4 of a day and 2/3 of a year. They can supplement that by working in the summers if they want to do the same hours as most other jobs.
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 01:45 PM   #4220
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
As the husband of a teacher, who comes home and works AT LEAST an extra 2 hours every night during the week grading and responding to crazy parent emails and providing ad-hoc tech support on how to use Teams and PowerSchool, you are patently wrong.
The Fisher Account is online now   Reply With Quote