Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-02-2022, 07:12 AM   #1141
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
One of my wife's close friends called EMS for her elementary age son having chest pain. Diagnosed as arrhythmia, 1 day after second Pfizer dose, with no previous medical history. Medical staff say timing is a coincidence and it won't be reported as a potential vaccine reaction.

My plan of getting our kids second doses took a huge hit - my wife and I are both vaccinated but she was already hesitant about getting it for the kids. They do have their first doses already.
The first thing is that medical advice consistently recommends vaccinating against children. So to go against that advice I think you would want some pretty good evidence of why the general advice does not apply to you.

The first thing I would do is determine if arrhythmia is a side affect of the vaccine for any age group. Next determine the natural occurrence of arrhythmia in the child population. Try to get a feal for the odds of each. But this is a difficult task as if you follow the same logic as above Vaccines cause autism and we know they don’t.

For the first step the UK had a pretty good study that was interesting in that it found the issues with the Moderna vaccine as opposed to the Pfizer.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-021-01630-0

Last edited by GGG; 03-02-2022 at 07:20 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 11:07 AM   #1142
bizaro86
Franchise Player
 
bizaro86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The first thing is that medical advice consistently recommends vaccinating against children. So to go against that advice I think you would want some pretty good evidence of why the general advice does not apply to you.

The first thing I would do is determine if arrhythmia is a side affect of the vaccine for any age group. Next determine the natural occurrence of arrhythmia in the child population. Try to get a feal for the odds of each. But this is a difficult task as if you follow the same logic as above Vaccines cause autism and we know they don’t.

For the first step the UK had a pretty good study that was interesting in that it found the issues with the Moderna vaccine as opposed to the Pfizer.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-021-01630-0
I agree with all of that, and am mostly just venting. Some medical staff did a real disservice to my wife's friend - they should have just said something like "it's almost certainly a coincidence but we will report it as a potential reaction" and this wouldn't be an issue. That difference took someone who was strongly pro-vax and made her now pretty untrusting of vaccines in general.

For my own kids I'm still planning to have them vaccinated again, although we did decide to wait a bit as they both tested positive about a month after their first dose, so it seems to me to make sense to wait the 8 weeks after those positive tests. I would say my concern for potential covid effects on them is low given no medical history/conditions, 1 dose already, and antibodies from infection, along with the history of a very mild infection the first time.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2022, 05:01 PM   #1143
TorqueDog
Franchise Player
 
TorqueDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary - Centre West
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The first thing is that medical advice consistently recommends vaccinating against children.
My wife is on the pill instead of the shot, and it has worked well for us.
__________________
-James
GO
FLAMES GO.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2022, 02:38 PM   #1144
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos
 
You Need a Thneed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Exp:
Default

So my kids are now eligible for boosters, I imagine it’s still a good idea to take them in?
__________________
My LinkedIn Profile.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:20 PM   #1145
ikaris
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
So my kids are now eligible for boosters, I imagine it’s still a good idea to take them in?
Considering how generally harmless COVID is for most children, probably not.

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ph...-years-age.pdf

Note: No recommendations for booster doses for the general adolescent population 12 to 17 years of age are being made at this time.

For reference the VE that NACI references seems to be trumped by more recent data (although a preprint) with respect to Omicron:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....25.22271454v1

They do say if your kid is in a higher risk group then they should.
ikaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 09:59 AM   #1146
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up
 
Scroopy Noopers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Plutanamo Bay.
Exp:
Default

To portray that as “not a good idea” is really reaching.

Likely not necessary (knowing absolutely nothing about the individual being discussed), sure.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 01:50 PM   #1147
justkidding
Crash and Bang Winger
 
justkidding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Exp:
Default

Has there been any indication that boosters, 4th shots in particular, will be happening anytime soon? Has it been determined that the 4th shot is required? My parents are both over 80 and they are coming up to 6 months since their 3rd booster shot.
justkidding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 04:41 PM   #1148
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player
 
Sidney Crosby's Hat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkidding View Post
Has there been any indication that boosters, 4th shots in particular, will be happening anytime soon? Has it been determined that the 4th shot is required? My parents are both over 80 and they are coming up to 6 months since their 3rd booster shot.
Moderna has submitted to the FDA for a 4th shot for all adults while Pfizer has submitted for a 4th shot for anyone for 65. Generally, Canada is about a month or two behind the US so I could see something relatively soon.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2022, 05:23 PM   #1149
Amethyst
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

What if you're travelling somewhere that requires a vaccination Alberta won't give you? For example, I got my "booster" way back in September. Should I be worried that it will be considered "too long ago" if I want to travel this summer? Is there somewhere I could pay for a vaccination for travel purposes (as I've done for other travel-related vaccines in the past)?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 05:41 PM   #1150
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
What if you're travelling somewhere that requires a vaccination Alberta won't give you? For example, I got my "booster" way back in September. Should I be worried that it will be considered "too long ago" if I want to travel this summer? Is there somewhere I could pay for a vaccination for travel purposes (as I've done for other travel-related vaccines in the past)?
Are there countries that require a "recent" booster in order to be able to enter? I know that the EU has their booster requirement but it doesn't seem to matter if it was a long time ago or not. The booster dose doesn't yet expire after 9 months like the primary dosage does.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 07:12 PM   #1151
Amethyst
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Are there countries that require a "recent" booster in order to be able to enter? I know that the EU has their booster requirement but it doesn't seem to matter if it was a long time ago or not. The booster dose doesn't yet expire after 9 months like the primary dosage does.
Not that I know of, but it seems like the country I'm going to is "picky," so I wonder if that will change.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 07:59 AM   #1152
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player
 
Sidney Crosby's Hat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Not that I know of, but it seems like the country I'm going to is "picky," so I wonder if that will change.
It can't change until said country authorizes a fourth dose at the very least. And likely they wouldn't until a fourth dose is more widely authorized, otherwise nobody will visit the country.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 02:14 PM   #1153
TorqueDog
Franchise Player
 
TorqueDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary - Centre West
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
So my kids are now eligible for boosters, I imagine it’s still a good idea to take them in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikaris View Post
Considering how generally harmless COVID is for most children, probably not.

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ph...-years-age.pdf

Note: No recommendations for booster doses for the general adolescent population 12 to 17 years of age are being made at this time.
You are so f--king full of sh-t that it is infuriating.

The question boiled down to "Good idea, yes or no?" and based off of a "No recommendations made" statement which is neutral, you used said neutral statement to answer "Probably not" which is a negative answer. Then you link a goddamned preprint which doesn't even back your position up:

---
Results
From December 13, 2021 to January 30, 2022, among 852,384 fully-vaccinated children 12-17 years and 365,502 children 5-11 years, VE against cases declined:
- from 66% (95% CI: 64%, 67%) to 51% (95% CI: 48%, 54%) for those 12-17 years and,
- from 68% (95% CI: 63%, 72%) to 12% (95% CI: 6%, 16%) for those 5-11 years.

During the January 24-30 week, VE for:
- children 11 years was 11% (95%CI -3%, 23%) and
- for those age 12 was 67% (95% CI: 62%, 71%).

We already know Omicron has better vaccine escape for infection so cases are not as critical as protecting against severe outcomes like hospitalization. Even then, the VE for case prevention in the 12-17 group is still showing to be significant.


VE against hospitalization declined changed
- from 85% (95% CI: 63%, 95%) to 73% (95% CI: 53%, 87%) for children 12-17 years, and
- from 100% (95% CI: -189%, 100%) to 48% (95% CI: -12%, 75%) for those 5-11 years.

48-73% effectiveness in preventing hospitalization, those are great numbers.
---

Learn the significance of how VE serves to explain real-world probabilities and stop posting bullsh-t.
__________________
-James
GO
FLAMES GO.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 04-02-2022 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Fixing broken link
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2022, 02:20 PM   #1154
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos
 
You Need a Thneed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Exp:
Default

Boosters for my kids, 12 and almost 15, happening tomorrow.

With new wave probably coming around, will be good to hopefully keep them from getting sick.

We did already have COVID go through our house, but only my son had any symptoms (tested positive)
__________________
My LinkedIn Profile.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2022, 03:25 PM   #1155
Barnes
Franchise Player
 
Barnes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Violating Copyrights
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Boosters for my kids, 12 and almost 15, happening tomorrow.

With new wave probably coming around, will be good to hopefully keep them from getting sick.

We did already have COVID go through our house, but only my son had any symptoms (tested positive)
Is your 12 year old a 2009?
Barnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 04:22 PM   #1156
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos
 
You Need a Thneed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Is your 12 year old a 2009?
Yes. He got his first two doses at 11.5 years old.
__________________
My LinkedIn Profile.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 02:07 AM   #1157
ikaris
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
You are so f--king full of sh-t that it is infuriating.

The question boiled down to "Good idea, yes or no?" and based off of a "No recommendations made" statement which is neutral, you used said neutral statement to answer "Probably not" which is a negative answer. Then you link a goddamned preprint which doesn't even back your position up:

---
Results
From December 13, 2021 to January 30, 2022, among 852,384 fully-vaccinated children 12-17 years and 365,502 children 5-11 years, VE against cases declined:
- from 66% (95% CI: 64%, 67%) to 51% (95% CI: 48%, 54%) for those 12-17 years and,
- from 68% (95% CI: 63%, 72%) to 12% (95% CI: 6%, 16%) for those 5-11 years.

During the January 24-30 week, VE for:
- children 11 years was 11% (95%CI -3%, 23%) and
- for those age 12 was 67% (95% CI: 62%, 71%).

We already know Omicron has better vaccine escape for infection so cases are not as critical as protecting against severe outcomes like hospitalization. Even then, the VE for case prevention in the 12-17 group is still showing to be significant.


VE against hospitalization declined changed
- from 85% (95% CI: 63%, 95%) to 73% (95% CI: 53%, 87%) for children 12-17 years, and
- from 100% (95% CI: -189%, 100%) to 48% (95% CI: -12%, 75%) for those 5-11 years.

48-73% effectiveness in preventing hospitalization, those are great numbers.
---

Learn the significance of how VE serves to explain real-world probabilities and stop posting bullsh-t.
So posting from NACI is bull#### now? Go ahead, boost your children. Doesn't mean everyone else has to.
ikaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 06:07 AM   #1158
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up
 
Scroopy Noopers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Plutanamo Bay.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikaris View Post
So posting from NACI is bull#### now? Go ahead, boost your children. Doesn't mean everyone else has to.
Again, you said that it “probably wasn’t a good idea”. Which is complete nonsense, and isn’t an opinion that is backed up by any data.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2022, 07:47 AM   #1159
TorqueDog
Franchise Player
 
TorqueDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary - Centre West
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikaris View Post
So posting from NACI is bull#### now? Go ahead, boost your children. Doesn't mean everyone else has to.
Posting something from NACI doesn’t mean sh-t if you’re too stupid to understand that “no recommendation” doesn’t mean “not recommended”, it means they’re neutral on the subject and people are free to do so or not.

But you’re not too stupid, you’re being intentionally dishonest. That’s worse.
__________________
-James
GO
FLAMES GO.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2022, 03:37 AM   #1160
ikaris
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Again, you said that it “probably wasn’t a good idea”. Which is complete nonsense, and isn’t an opinion that is backed up by any data.
The ethics of mandating vaccination for healthy children are not so cut and dry which you and others claim.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...111/bioe.13015
ikaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:08 AM.

Calgary Flames
2023-24




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021