Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-11-2022, 08:24 PM   #981
RichieRich
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Exp:
Default

What are the chances of him looking at CN or CP yards for railway work. They’re always struggling to keep cars and engines going and have massive service backlogs. Odds are pretty good he could do Some on the job re training.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 08:19 AM   #982
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

Ageism is very real at this point, I've counseled several companies against it, because its gotten pretty blatant by the hiring managers I've worked with.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 07:05 PM   #983
RichieRich
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Exp:
Default

Got an email today. Asking me to participate in a paid survey. Yet it somehow seems possibly maybe to be legit? thoughts? experience?

Ivy Exec Research Study with Professionals

I'm reaching out on behalf of Ivy Exec and our Expert Network Division.

Currently, in partnership with B2B International, we are conducting a study with Professionals in the Energy sector. The study is conducted in order to better understand the future shape of the Energy Sector in response to the increasing focus on sustainability and renewables and the drive towards Net Zero CO2.

This will be conducted via a 60-minute interview.For your time we will compensate you at least $300
If you are interested in participating please complete this 5-minute survey so that we can make sure you are a good fit for the research.
[removed hyperlink]
To protect your data, please do not share this link with anyone else. It is unique to you.
If you would like to share this survey with someone in your network, please use [removed]


Please be assured that no one is trying to sell you anything and that no one will contact you as a result of your participation in this study. We’re only interested in your opinions.

Thank you so much for your time thus far! We hope to continue giving professionals like you the opportunity to contribute and showcase your expertise.

If you wish to contact us, please do not reply to this message but instead reach us at [removed]
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 08:10 PM   #984
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

I have zero trust for unsolicited emails like that.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2022, 01:43 PM   #985
81MC
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Exp:
Default

I feel like I do very well in interviews, been offered every job I've interviewed for. Now I have some virtual interviews coming up, with which my confidence is much lower. I can't read the room, can pickup on body language etc. Wish me luck.

Also, I ####ed up on the pre-interview question with one...undercut my salary expectation by about 5% for the actual role. Rookie.
__________________
Next thing you know, theyíll take my thoughts away.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2022, 10:05 AM   #986
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos
 
You Need a Thneed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Exp:
Default

Had an interview this morning, thought it went well.

It’s good to have a job while looking for a job, and I’m ready for the next opportunity.
__________________
My LinkedIn Profile.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2022, 03:17 PM   #987
skudr248
First Line Centre
 
skudr248's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winchestertonfieldville Jail
Exp:
Default

Anyone do follow up 'thank you' email's anymore for positions they really want? Is that still a thing?
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 03:29 PM   #988
bizaro86
Franchise Player
 
bizaro86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Got an email today. Asking me to participate in a paid survey. Yet it somehow seems possibly maybe to be legit? thoughts? experience?

Ivy Exec Research Study with Professionals

I'm reaching out on behalf of Ivy Exec and our Expert Network Division.

Currently, in partnership with B2B International, we are conducting a study with Professionals in the Energy sector. The study is conducted in order to better understand the future shape of the Energy Sector in response to the increasing focus on sustainability and renewables and the drive towards Net Zero CO2.

This will be conducted via a 60-minute interview.For your time we will compensate you at least $300
If you are interested in participating please complete this 5-minute survey so that we can make sure you are a good fit for the research.
[removed hyperlink]
To protect your data, please do not share this link with anyone else. It is unique to you.
If you would like to share this survey with someone in your network, please use [removed]


Please be assured that no one is trying to sell you anything and that no one will contact you as a result of your participation in this study. Weíre only interested in your opinions.

Thank you so much for your time thus far! We hope to continue giving professionals like you the opportunity to contribute and showcase your expertise.

If you wish to contact us, please do not reply to this message but instead reach us at [removed]
That's probably legit, if the domains match their actual website. They are a recruitment and expert network company. So they executive recruiting and also ask people questions about their industry for investors/competitor research.

Likely the goal is to add you to their database for future recruitment or expert interview purposes.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2022, 03:43 PM   #989
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
Anyone do follow up 'thank you' email's anymore for positions they really want? Is that still a thing?
I still do if it is a position that I am very interested in and if I thought the interview went well.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2022, 11:42 AM   #990
RichieRich
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
Anyone do follow up 'thank you' email's anymore for positions they really want? Is that still a thing?
You should be doing a thank you regardless as they did give up their time for you, and you likely were selected for a good reason over others. So if nothing else to express gratitude for time and not burn any bridges. People remember manners and professionalism.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 12:10 PM   #991
Johnny199r
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Uzbekistan
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
Anyone do follow up 'thank you' email's anymore for positions they really want? Is that still a thing?
I hire people on a yearly basis. Those emails annoy me and seem pushy to me like people think it will help them get the job. It turns me off the candidate. However, I've been told I'm rude before, so I'm not sure this will help.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2022, 01:20 PM   #992
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

Its a differentiator to me when I hire, if two people are pretty equivalent through the process and one shows the interest in an email, they do get points.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 05:54 PM   #993
RichieRich
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Exp:
Default

Back in the day I used to hand deliver my thank you notes and make sure to politely charm the receptionist (without bugging them, creeping them out, etc...).

Years ago I had someone tell me that after they were hired they asked their boss what set them apart and paraphrased answer was that after shortlisting and interviewing they were all pretty equally awesome EXCEPT she had made the effort to send a polite Thank you letter that also clarified something. The follow-up gave them their job.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 04:30 PM   #994
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos
 
You Need a Thneed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Had an interview this morning, thought it went well.

Itís good to have a job while looking for a job, and Iím ready for the next opportunity.
99% sure Iím getting an offer, but donít have it yet.

So hard to be motivated at my current job.

Had another good interview at a different place this morning too.
__________________
My LinkedIn Profile.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 05:27 PM   #995
skudr248
First Line Centre
 
skudr248's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winchestertonfieldville Jail
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
99% sure Iím getting an offer, but donít have it yet.

So hard to be motivated at my current job.

Had another good interview at a different place this morning too.
I am in the exact same situation as you, hopefully we're not hoping for the same job haha.

Goodluck to us both.
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skudr248 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2022, 08:14 PM   #996
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player
 
FurnaceFace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 110
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
I feel like I do very well in interviews, been offered every job I've interviewed for. Now I have some virtual interviews coming up, with which my confidence is much lower. I can't read the room, can pickup on body language etc. Wish me luck.

Also, I ####ed up on the pre-interview question with one...undercut my salary expectation by about 5% for the actual role. Rookie.
I found virtual interviews great as I could have notes available. I used the built in MS postit app and had my opening, all my example stories, reminders for anything technical, how to answer the money question or similar, and a list of questions I have for them. This was just enough for me to cue from but not read word for word so it was obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
Anyone do follow up 'thank you' email's anymore for positions they really want? Is that still a thing?
Youíve got the answers already but Iíd say itís a differentiator. It also gives you a chance to drive home your strengths and why you are the right fit.

Last year when I was searching for my next gig I found this guyís YouTube channel. I found many of his videos useful.

https://youtube.com/c/TheCompaniesExpert
__________________


Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 04:44 PM   #997
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Exp:
Default

I had my first in person interview in over two years. Every interview I've done during Covid has been virtual and I'm not sure why but I feel more comfortable with in person interviews.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 08:23 PM   #998
RichieRich
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I had my first in person interview in over two years. Every interview I've done during Covid has been virtual and I'm not sure why but I feel more comfortable with in person interviews.

In person lets you "feel the vibe" which comes from seeing the entire body language, better idea of intonation, perhaps direct interactions amoungst multiple people, maybe even in-office cues of things to talk/ask about. In person can also be harder because you can't have those post-its around the camera like so many of us did!!
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 12:55 PM   #999
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos
 
You Need a Thneed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
I am in the exact same situation as you, hopefully we're not hoping for the same job haha.

Goodluck to us both.
My offer is being written up right now - hopefully you get yours soon!

Anyone have advice on giving notice to current employer? Iíll probably be doing that tomorrow.
__________________
My LinkedIn Profile.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 02:04 PM   #1000
Weitz
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
My offer is being written up right now - hopefully you get yours soon!

Anyone have advice on giving notice to current employer? Iíll probably be doing that tomorrow.
Donít give notice till you have a full unconditional offer signed sealed and delivered.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:01 AM.

Calgary Flames
2022-23




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021