Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Agostino 0 0%
Andersson 2 0.53%
Arnold 3 0.79%
Billins 0 0%
Bruce 0 0%
Carroll 1 0.26%
Culkin 0 0%
Deblouw 0 0%
Elson 0 0%
Gilmour 0 0%
Granlund 118 31.22%
Grant 0 0%
Harrison 0 0%
Hathaway 0 0%
Hickey 124 32.80%
Kanzig 1 0.26%
Karnaukhov 0 0%
Klimchuk 84 22.22%
Kulak 0 0%
Kylington 29 7.67%
Mangiapane 0 0%
McDonald 0 0%
Morrison 2 0.53%
Ollas Mattsson 0 0%
Rafikov 2 0.53%
Sieloff 1 0.26%
Smith 1 0.26%
Van Brabant 0 0%
Wolf 0 0%
Wotherspoon 10 2.65%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2015, 12:49 PM   #61
Eric
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Still going with Andersson. From what I've read, he has huge upside and his question mark is his fitness. Fitness issues are easy to fix.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 01:07 PM   #62
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Went with Hickey. He has trended up since being drafted similar to how Brodie trended up. A potential top 3 defenseman is valuable.

And that's no slight or "hate" on the remaining forwards. I think Granlund is a potential 2nd liner and so is Klimchuk. Both good prospects but I have Hickey slightly ahead of them.

Most underrated prospect so far? Might be Mason McDonald. High 2nd rounder, had a good season last year. I think he gets underrated because we have Gillies and Ortio but as a potential starting goalie he should be getting votes around this range.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 01:18 PM   #63
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post

Most underrated prospect so far? Might be Mason McDonald. High 2nd rounder, had a good season last year. I think he gets underrated because we have Gillies and Ortio but as a potential starting goalie he should be getting votes around this range.
It looks like he started to appear on guys radars now with development camp. If he makes team Canada and plays well the hype will increase for sure.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:23 PM   #64
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went Kylington and will continue to do so until he finally wins. The kid has flaws but huge upside.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:23 PM   #65
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Goalies are weird, I need to see more progression from a goalie than I would from a skater before I can call them a top prospect.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:24 PM   #66
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
Voted Grandlund as has already gone a significant way towards proving he can play in the NHL.
I bet you $1000 that the Grandlund at this camp will never play a game in the NHL.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #67
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
It looks like he started to appear on guys radars now with development camp. If he makes team Canada and plays well the hype will increase for sure.
Is it safe to assume he has the inside track on two guys that were drafted two weeks ago or no?

Could be an interesting WJC with McDonald the starter, Hickey on the blueline. Can't see Bennett getting let go to join them though.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:47 PM   #68
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Is it safe to assume he has the inside track on two guys that were drafted two weeks ago or no?

Could be an interesting WJC with McDonald the starter, Hickey on the blueline. Can't see Bennett getting let go to join them though.
I think at this point it's McDonald's job to lose. Pretty sure he's the favourite right now.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:53 PM   #69
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Yeah, right now it's McDonald's starting job to lose.

McDonald for Team Canada, Hickey for the States, Rasmus Andersson and Kylington for Sweden.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:53 PM   #70
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Still going with Andersson. From what I've read, he has huge upside and his question mark is his fitness. Fitness issues are easy to fix.
Ryan Howse says hi.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:57 PM   #71
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, right now it's McDonald's starting job to lose.

McDonald for Team Canada, Hickey for the States, Rasmus Andersson and Kylington for Sweden.
Hickey is from Leduc.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:02 PM   #72
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Hickey is from Leduc.
Leduc, Wisconsin

The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 02:37 PM   #73
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Because our prospect depth is amazing.

It makes you wonder if the Flames management is low-balling the young talent they have in the organization.

Last year they went out and signed Raymond and brought in Setegouchi.

They did not think that Gaudreau, Baertschi, Granlund and Jooris were ready. Basically out of camp the Raymond and Setogouchi were shown to be wrong moves.

This year they brought in Frolik.

Frolik ppg last year .51 Granlund (21 yr old rookie) .375 .... over an 82 game season that comes to 11 pts.

With Bennett and likely Ferland forcing their way on the roster and if Backlund is ready to go (healthy) from the start of the season... plus Frolik it would really crowd the opportunity for Granlund and Jooris.

There was a thread Please do absolutely nothing started by Serapth before the UFA season opened.

The OP really provided a good summary of the Flames situation

Quote:
As a Flames fan, this is an absolutely stunning and unfamiliar place to be... But as we leave the draft behind and approach Free Agency I want the Flames to do...

Absolutely nothing. Get Hamilton locked up, re-up Gio, sign lost of our restricted free agents and... Stop. Resigning Ramo would be nice, but Ortio should slot in fine and needs a chance ( Id rather go with Ramo than Hillier but that doesnt seem to be happening ).

Looking at the crop of UFAs im struck by an overwhelming feeling of meh, especially now that our blueline is stacked. Really all we need now is a big right wing and we are only lacking experience at that point. I dont think you could say that about the Flames since perhaps the early 90s!

TL;DR -- Calgary management ( and Feaster ), kudos, you've done an amazing job in a very short period of time! Now don't screw it up by trading for Phil Kessel or another boneheaded move.

Anyone else feelin remarkably good about our current situation? Of course there are players id love to add, but not from the list currently available and not at the cost of our current roster.
If the Flames are actually making a push this year for a home-ice playoff seed maybe they could have waited to see what the real need was and that it wasn't covered by someone already in the organization rather than getting a long term 4.3M Utility forward.... what I hope Jooris and Granlund and Shore (maybe Agostino or Arnold) would have been.

Last edited by ricardodw; 07-09-2015 at 02:39 PM.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #74
Stormchaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

voted Granlund. I think this kid could be a Langkow type of guy. A solid 2C or 3C. If he could show a little more nastiness and get stronger he has a long future ahead.
Stormchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:44 PM   #75
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
It makes you wonder if the Flames management is low-balling the young talent they have in the organization.

They did not think that Gaudreau, Baertschi, Granlund and Jooris were ready. Basically out of camp the Raymond and Setogouchi were shown to be wrong moves.

Frolik ppg last year .51 Granlund (21 yr old rookie) .375 .... over an 82 game season that comes to 11 pts.

With Bennett and likely Ferland forcing their way on the roster and if Backlund is ready to go (healthy) from the start of the season... plus Frolik it would really crowd the opportunity for Granlund and Jooris.

There was a thread Please do absolutely nothing started by Serapth before the UFA season opened.

The OP really provided a good summary of the Flames situation

If the Flames are actually making a push this year for a home-ice playoff seed maybe they could have waited to see what the real need was and that it wasn't covered by someone already in the organization rather than getting a long term 4.3M Utility forward.... what I hope Jooris and Granlund and Shore (maybe Agostino or Arnold) would have been.
The Flames don't give out roster spots, simple as that. At the end of the season where was Setoguchi?

Gaudreau made the team out of camp
Baertschi obviously wasn't ready, still isn't
Joorish a bit after
Granlund was called up a month later

Making the team out of camp isn't the final opportunity players have, as shown by the players you listed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 02:52 PM   #76
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Frolik ppg last year .51 Granlund (21 yr old rookie) .375 .... over an 82 game season that comes to 11 pts..

I understand what you're saying, but bringing in Raymond and seto weren't the "wrong" moves. This created healthy competition that makes players better. Plus the youth eventually won.

Also, injuries happen. The best teams in the league have lots of depth and options. This is what Calgary has been building.

And last point here, Frolik does much, much more than Granlund does right now. With the puck and away from the puck. This doesn't mean that Granlund won't get there someday or get a chance this season though. Depth is a good thing to have.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:17 PM   #77
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames don't give out roster spots, simple as that. At the end of the season where was Setoguchi?

Gaudreau made the team out of camp
Baertschi obviously wasn't ready, still isn't
Joorish a bit after
Granlund was called up a month later

Making the team out of camp isn't the final opportunity players have, as shown by the players you listed.
And where is Raymond.... for the next 2 years.

If it happens that Hudler and Jones start the season playing better than Frolik (even chance of that IMO) and Jooris and Granlund are as good or better than Frolik (longer shot but not outside the realm of rational thought... all are NHL level players) who gets to sit and who gets the 4th line minutes? You can see the meritocracy that works so well for the Flames last year starting to crumble....
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:20 PM   #78
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If it happens that Hudler and Jones start the season playing better than Frolik (even chance of that IMO) and Jooris and Granlund are as good or better than Frolik (longer shot but not outside the realm of rational thought... all are NHL level players) who gets to sit and who gets the 4th line minutes? You can see the meritocracy that works so well for the Flames last year starting to crumble....
You got got badly lost somewhere around here.
Really badly lost.
Like, in the wilderness lost.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #79
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Jesus, you paint everything as bleak and dire. And you do so by making up most of your facts. What a drama queen.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:32 PM   #80
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
And where is Raymond.... for the next 2 years
Don't know, I can't see the future.
Quote:
Oh me oh my.