Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2016, 09:25 PM   #221
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My worst kijiji experience was when a guy posted a stove and said it was in great condition. Drive to Airdrie and he says his mom is home and will take payment so I get there and his mom tells me everything works fine only two burners don't work. POS wasn't even home to give him a piece of my mind. I sent him a pretty nasty text after.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:58 PM   #222
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

I accidentally let my phone auto update the Kijiji app. The newer one is horrible. They've increased the font size on the search results so two less items fit on the screen. Plus, they added two new types of ads; a context sensitive one in the search results list plus one inside the item description when you look at the item.

It's awful. While scrolling through my returned search list of hundreds of items, I had 3 ads on the screen and only 1 real item. The app is nearly unusable now.

Don't let your app update!
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:27 AM   #223
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone try selling a truck lately? I want a 2011 Ram 1500 gone. Post the ad and, within 30 minutes, my ad ranking is 500+. Seems like dealerships and use car lots are just spamming ads like nuts. I think I'll just trade in. Kijiji is broken.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:22 PM   #224
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
best one I had was when I posted winter tires off of my pilot. I get a reply asking if I would be willing to trade for a washing machine. I forward the email to my best friend because I thought it was funny, and my buddy tells me to ask if it's a front load. Anyways, we go back and forth haggling on the winter tires for washing machine and now dryer, and then I get a phone call from my friend laughing is arse off. It was him all along.
Your friend is awesome.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:27 PM   #225
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
Anyone try selling a truck lately? I want a 2011 Ram 1500 gone. Post the ad and, within 30 minutes, my ad ranking is 500+. Seems like dealerships and use car lots are just spamming ads like nuts. I think I'll just trade in. Kijiji is broken.
Leave it on there and don't worry about ad ranking. Most people realize the dealership spamming anyway and just filter it by "owner" ownership.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2016, 12:36 PM   #226
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I really wish Kijiji would add a mandatory "business posting" fee, even if it's not pricy. You want to add a post for your business? That's fine, we welcome it, but it'll be $5.

It's still effective marketing for businesses, but they've have to be less spammy about it.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:39 PM   #227
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also wish they had s better system of categorizing items, from a buyer's perspective it sucks. Try searching for a car or phone and you end up with useless results. At the very least, to be able to search the ad titles alone would give you better search results. Most of the time the seller puts exactly the right model and specs in the title, but in the description has junk like other phones or vehicles or items that this thing for sale is similar to.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #228
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I really wish Kijiji would add a mandatory "business posting" fee, even if it's not pricy. You want to add a post for your business? That's fine, we welcome it, but it'll be $5.

It's still effective marketing for businesses, but they've have to be less spammy about it.
They do. All those vehicles are paid for.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:06 PM   #229
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I also wish they had s better system of categorizing items, from a buyer's perspective it sucks. Try searching for a car or phone and you end up with useless results. At the very least, to be able to search the ad titles alone would give you better search results. Most of the time the seller puts exactly the right model and specs in the title, but in the description has junk like other phones or vehicles or items that this thing for sale is similar to.
Or they use stupid tags at the end to bring it up in a search.

"Yeah you know, I was looking for an air-cooled 911, but after your ad for a ####-box Neon came up, I've totally changed my mind!"
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:32 PM   #230
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Or they use stupid tags at the end to bring it up in a search.

"Yeah you know, I was looking for an air-cooled 911, but after your ad for a ####-box Neon came up, I've totally changed my mind!"

That's funny. One of the things I had searched for (never know when somebody goes crazy and wants to sell something for a stupid price) was Ferraris, and I see ads for Mustangs with descriptions about how get more looks than Ferraris.

This is where Autotrader is a superior user experience, except it has different limitations, but more tolerable than Kijiji's flaws.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:14 PM   #231
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, my latest is buying tires in two fairly hard to find sizes that had decent tread left. Rears at about 60% tread; fronts around 80%. Paid less than 1/3 of retail, and no hassle. Easier than driving to Canadian Tire.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:17 PM   #232
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Well, my latest is buying tires in two fairly hard to find sizes that had decent tread left. Rears at about 60% tread; fronts around 80%. Paid less than 1/3 of retail, and no hassle. Easier than driving to Canadian Tire.
Speaking of which, the one on 130th changed their sign back to "We're Open."

I just want to go in and tell them to stop.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:02 PM   #233
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sold a bike and a stroller today, both items I left in the driveway and asked that they leave the money inside an envelope under the front door mat. Hassle free, and my faith in humanity is restored.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffporfirio For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2016, 05:11 PM   #234
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd say as long as you ignore the ridiculous low-ball offerers and anything sketchy, Kijiji is great 99% of the time.

Right now my issue is I'm trying to buy a pair of headphones, and everyone seems to think their pair is worth 90% of retail....everyone seems to list at the same price, and none are selling. No I'm not taking on all the risk of buying used and getting less warranty coverage to save 10%. I'll just wait for a good sale at BestBuy if I wanted to pay that much. Woof.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2016, 07:09 PM   #235
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Used headphones? The issue is that its hard to take them back to BB as they will not except returns. So there are probably a lot of tried it once, and then resales. Actually, sometimes the price at BB is better, the "open box" stuff can be really well priced, although they have stopped that now.

No one owes you a deal on Kijiji, sellers can wait just as much as buyers can(unless its an event ticket). I once had an item listed for 8 months. I actually raised the price and it sold.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:43 AM   #236
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

I recently had a car listed on kijiji and ended up taking $3000 less than ask just to get rid of the car so I didn't have to deal with scammers anymore..

It was relentless. Atleast 2 emails a day from scammers and had 3 calls from people being interested in the car or so it seemed until they dropped the "if you give us $500, we will list your car on all the sites and make sure it remains at the top of the listings with a guaranteed sale"...

Autotrader was also sending me Emile saying "someone is interested in your car, purchase a carproof"... Yada yada... I finally purchased the carproof and then not one email from autotrader of people interested... $71 scam IMO..

Tha said, someone who seen the car on the road texted me about the car, I told them I had a carproof and the n gave it to them, they ended up buying the car.. But I took a hit..

But the scams of "I know you have a carproof from 3 days ago but my "bank" needs a new one, give me your account info and name and I will send you the funds for a new carproof, don't send me the VIN as that won't help me.. ". What?!?!

The scams are outrageous.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #237
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new Kijiji design caught me by surprise this morning. I thought I accidentally went to the Travelocity website somehow.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:47 PM   #238
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone asking $250 for speakers that retail for $300. You've owned them for a year. Hardly used, you say? No thanks. Drop it to $150 and then we'll talk.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:06 PM   #239
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

The worst is when a person assigns a high price to an item for their own sentimental reasons and just can't see that it isn't as valuable as they think.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:09 PM   #240
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Its free and easy to put up an add in Kijiji, no one owes you a good price. There are things priced to sell, and there are things that are going to sit there because its a "one of" and/or there is no great urgency to sell. An example would be a Stoke Tripp Trapp, try and find one online... They go up at 50 off after 5 years and get sold.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 09-06-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
V