Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2020, 01:19 PM   #161
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
The 86 is pretty much the 90s Japanese car that everyone supposedly pines for. Yes, it's not the fastest thing on earth (neither were those 90s cars), but it ticks pretty much every enthusiast box, at a reasonable price.

Apart from maybe the Fiata twins, I'm not sure there's anything quite as good in terms of a pure driving experience (at a reasonable price that is).

Not to derail the thread, but the Toybaru MSRP is $28k for what's now an eight year old platform and an engine that has a huge, off-putting abyss in the middle of it's powerband. If I have that kind of money to spend on a fun car, I'm going with the Miata or 370z for a couple thousand more $$ every single time.

The BRZ ticks all the right boxes on paper, but I have way more fun driving my 20 year old Prelude than I did driving a BRZ.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 02:09 PM   #162
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yes, those are great features for 2009.

On a brands flagship sedan now, though, you would expect Android Auto and Apple Car Play at a bare minimum. Active safety/autonomous driving features (automatic stop, radar cruise, lane-keep assist, automatic parking, etc.). Head-up display, panoramic cameras, blind spot warning, remote start, keyless start, LED lights, premium interior materials without hard plastics, power open/close trunk, cooled seats, touchscreens, digital configurable gauges, voice controls, USB inputs, and the list goes on. I seriously pulled those off the top of my head. Maybe an engine that wasn't a gas guzzler (hybrid or turbo 4)?

You can't give an '09 Maxima an A for tech. And and A+ for performance makes no sense, either, BTW. Not crapping on your car, but your rating system leaves no room for anything built in the last decade by any other manufacturer. Compare an '09 Maxima against a '19 Genesis made by Hyundai, for example, and the Maxima would get Ds or Fs in every category. And that's not even taking into account BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc., which are all better than a decade old Nissan, too.
Jesus, who actually wants/has time for/wants to do maintenance for all that tech?

I'm glad not a huge emphasis in my life is on vehicles.

I mean for myself... is it reliable to get you from a to b? Does it have good safety features and an aux jack? Cool, we're good to go.

Quite fine with my 2012 stone aged car.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 02:29 PM   #163
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Jesus, who actually wants/has time for/wants to do maintenance for all that tech?

I mean for myself... is it reliable to get you from a to b? Does it have good safety features and an aux jack? Cool, we're good to go.

lol, what maintenance? Do you think I have my dash torn apart and am soldering wires and circuit boards?

But yeah, being a car guy is a bit of a curse. I can pretty much guarantee you that you would be totally blown away if I took you for a ride in my Mercedes, though. Tuned twin turbo V8 with over 500 horsepower and about 600 ft-lbs of torque with an AWD car is insane. It launches you so hard your feet go weightless and your head gets pinned against the headrest. I get not wanting that, but I don't get not being impressed by that or not at least understanding how that can be appealing, even if it's not for you personally.

As for advanced tech, yeah, of course people want that. If you could have a car with forward collision warning, automatic braking, radar cruise, lane keep assist, automatic stop and go, high-resolution screen, android auto, 360 cameras, autonomous parking, remote start, etc. then why wouldn't you want that? Why wouldn't you want to sit in a nice interior? That's not a personality failing to want that stuff if you're shelling out $50k and every other car in the segment and segments two and three levels below have it all at comparable prices. That's the problem for Infiniti and Nissan right now - everything else is just better.

Its like anything else. Will a Motorola flip phone from 2002 text and make phone calls just as good as an iPhone 11? Yes, but the screen looks like crap, it can't do a bunch of the other stuff an iPhone can do and it lags like crazy. Barely anyone would buy the Motorola at a 10% discount to the iPhone in that scenario, but that's what Infiniti buyers are doing. The fact that not many are and the company is on an insane downward spiral is the proof in the pudding.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 02:31 PM   #164
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

One other thing. I have three cars and the newest of the bunch is a 2012. I'm fine with that, too. The problem for Infiniti is they're selling 2010 cars in 2020, they're the only premium brand doing that, and even at super steep discounts nobody wants them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2020, 02:36 PM   #165
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Starting to think Sliver is Buzz Lightyear. Hates cars from Infiniti and beyond.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 03:34 PM   #166
Bankai
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
One other thing. I have three cars and the newest of the bunch is a 2012. I'm fine with that, too. The problem for Infiniti is they're selling 2010 cars in 2020, they're the only premium brand doing that, and even at super steep discounts nobody wants them.
Agree completely.

I purchased a new suv at the end of 2019 and looked at infiniti.

It just could not compare with the rest of the class. Price was lower than competitors but not even close in terms of styling, comfort, driving dynamics and technology.

The Lexus I upgraded from seemed to be better than the new Infinitis that were being sold.
Bankai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bankai For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2020, 06:01 PM   #167
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Starting to think Sliver is Buzz Lightyear. Hates cars from Infiniti and beyond.
Sliver is bang on with everything in this thread. The problem is he cares more than Nissan.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2020, 06:09 PM   #168
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Sliver is bang on with everything in this thread. The problem is he cares more than Nissan.
Oh I don't doubt either of those statements. I was just making a terrible pun.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:31 PM   #169
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sound is all I care about. The rest of the tech can gtfo!

I'd love to find a car that is just fun to drive and has some balls but i'm a tall, ample gentleman and the 240z, Miata, BRZ etc....seem like great cars if you live in the shire.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:13 AM   #170
fulham
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I rented a 4 door 2019 Infiniti Sedan as a Luxury upgrade at YYC last week(my company covered it) after 5 minutes I regretted not taking the KIA/Hyundai option.Had a GPS system that was unusable, and was the worst vehicle ive ever driven.
fulham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 02:05 AM   #171
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd take a q60. Thems some real pretty whips.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:30 AM   #172
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm, just realized I quoted a post from a year or so ago.

Last edited by CalgaryFan1988; 04-19-2020 at 08:33 AM.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:36 AM   #173
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Toyota 86 is the only one I can think of at that price point. It's a bit underpowered compared to modern sports cars, but it ticks all the other boxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
Would a Subaru BRZ qualify?
essentially the same car.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:17 AM   #174
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'd take a q60. Thems some real pretty whips.
The exterior looks nice. You would only want it if you didn't compare it against its BMW, Mercedes and Lexus counterparts, though, which are all waaaaay better.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:59 AM   #175
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The exterior looks nice. You would only want it if you didn't compare it against its BMW, Mercedes and Lexus counterparts, though, which are all waaaaay better.
I mean, if we are talking about nissan heavily discounting their Infiniti line up because no one is buying them, I'd take it . That's what I meant. Their interiors are gorgeous too.

They dont come close to performing in a race type scenario but for an every day driver they'll be good enough. And I think you could dump a bit of the money you saved into getting the suspension tuned up properly and program the transmission to behave better.

Anyway, yeah, I'd take a q60 easy if it's in the bargain bin.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2020, 10:24 AM   #176
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Although I agree about Infiniti (and Nissan in general) being pretty lost these days, I was driving behind a metallic-red q60 the other day... and remember thinking how striking it looked.

Put me down as someone who doesn't care about the modern tech inside....all I care about are vroom vroom noises and the size of smile it puts on my face. All our cars are old though (the newest is 2010) and I've never bought new, so I'm clearly not the modern shopper of cars that manufacturers need to speak to. For those consumers, Infiniti definitely needs to pick up it's game.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:36 AM   #177
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Although I agree about Infiniti (and Nissan in general) being pretty lost these days, I was driving behind a metallic-red q60 the other day... and remember thinking how striking it looked.

Put me down as someone who doesn't care about the modern tech inside....all I care about are vroom vroom noises and the size of smile it puts on my face. All our cars are old though (the newest is 2010) and I've never bought new, so I'm clearly not the modern shopper of cars that manufacturers need to speak to. For those consumers, Infiniti definitely needs to pick up it's game.
It's not that it's the main thing I am looking for, but if I am dropping $60k on a car and there are better features in a $20k car it's pretty ridiculous. Making Bluetooth calls and using google maps is not exactly ground breaking technology in the auto sector.
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ahuch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2020, 10:49 AM   #178
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My sister has a white Q60 and it is beautiful, but as everyone has said, the interior is essentially unchanged from the 2009 G37 I had and it really feels dated. I’d still drive it and she did get a great deal on it, but yah, I can understand why people feel like Infiniti/Nissan has lost their way.

I owned two G series Infinitis and I thought I would drive their updated sedans for as long as possible. But the Q sedans do nothing for me. How they completely botched that line up I will never know.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 11:34 AM   #179
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahuch View Post
It's not that it's the main thing I am looking for, but if I am dropping $60k on a car and there are better features in a $20k car it's pretty ridiculous. Making Bluetooth calls and using google maps is not exactly ground breaking technology in the auto sector.
Yeah, I agree. There's a certain standard that you need to adhere to with tech, and Infiniti isn't doing it. It's one thing when you can offer something else, like amazing craftsmanship, unique styling, or Lexus-like reliability, but that's not really Infiniti/Nissan either. There's a reason why the sell so poorly.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:34 PM   #180
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I’ve started to feel the same way a bit about Honda/Acura as well. Not as drastic of a drop off as Infiniti, but I don’t find much of their current offering all that enticing and I have a few friends that have had odd reliability issues with vehicles that should be bullet proof.

For whatever reason, I have been really loving Toyota products (not sure what to think about the new Highlander, but the previous models were great).
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nissan