Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2021, 10:48 AM   #41
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
Wilson is an idiot, but Panarin initiated (without a helmet on).

I didn't see what happened as a flagrant foul from Wilson in the scope of what he's done in his career. My opinion.

The Rangers could have sent a strong statement, minus the personal calling for someone to lose their job. Really unprofessional to go where they did, if you ask me.
You and "Red" need to go back and watch the play.

Panarin had his helmet on, Wilson knocked it off of him.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:49 AM   #42
DomeFoam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Wilson is an idiot, but Panarin initiated (without a helmet on).

I didn't see what happened as a flagrant foul from Wilson in the scope of what he's done in his career. My opinion.

The Rangers could have sent a strong statement, minus the personal calling for someone to lose their job. Really unprofessional to go where they did, if you ask me.
I just think the general lack of awareness on Wilsons end to realize that you really don't have to UFC slam a guy that weighs 50 pounds less than you for trying to pull you out from mauling his teammate is the message that needs to be sent.

You just don't have to do that in that situation and he doesn't understand that. That's why hes dangerous.
DomeFoam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DomeFoam For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 10:51 AM   #43
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
I just see it as hyperbole. It could have been a minor suspension, but it's just been so much discussion around an incident that's been overblown, in large part due to the an overly emotional reaction from the Rangers.
I really hope the Flames act the same way if their best player is ever thrown down to the ice without a helmet on and is then gone for rest of the season after another player has been sucker punched. If there is no emotional reaction I'd be furious.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 10:53 AM   #44
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomeFoam View Post
I just think the general lack of awareness on Wilsons end to realize that you really don't have to UFC slam a guy that weighs 50 pounds less than you for trying to pull you out from mauling his teammate is the message that needs to be sent.

You just don't have to do that in that situation and he doesn't understand that. That's why hes dangerous.
Oh Wilson understands. He just doesn't care.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:54 AM   #45
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

These fines also show the league is cash poor and faking outrage.

A competant league would take away draft picks or dock points for actual real offenses.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:58 AM   #46
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Wilson knocked his helmet off after engaging (he didn't initiate without a helmet on), then followed it up with slamming him on the ice, punching him in the head, and slamming him to the ice again.

It's telling to me that most of the people criticizing the Rangers here obviously did not watch the play or feel the need to purposely misrepresent what happened. For what? Bootlicking the NHL? They don't care about you.
I've watched the incident several times. I just disagree with people's characterization of how much 'slamming' was happening, or even targeting of the head.

It was an aggressive melee of two guys of much different sizes, of which the smaller initiated.

I'd call this a 1-2 game suspension MAX.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 11:00 AM   #47
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Parros should be fired, not protected.
Nah Parros is just the tail of the snake.

It's Colin Campbell that needs to be fired. Nothing will change with this league until he is removed.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 11:00 AM   #48
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Oh Wilson understands. He just doesn't care.

I know this is uncouth, but I would be pretty pleased if someone ended Tom Wilson’s career before he does it to someone else.

#### Tom Wilson.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:03 AM   #49
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
There is no way the league couldn't do this.

Think about it like this;

The NHL consists of franchises...like lots of other businesses. They are all part and parcel of the same group.

Tim Hortons consists of franchises. Now you have your biggest and most profitable TH franchise coming out with a full page ad that severely questions the ability of the head office in the way they make decisions with regards to a product you sell. It would be immediate grounds for revocation of that franchise for the owners. Rightfully so when all the other franchises are affected by said questioning.

So many forget that the NHL is a business first. This is what any other large business would do in the same situation, if not worse. I think the Rangers are actually getting off pretty easy here in the whole scheme of things.

Dolan will recoup that 250K the next time the Knicks or Rangers host a home game.

I still love they did it mind you, but there was no other way the penalty for doing so wasn't happening.
But at the same time, the league risks hurting its credibility and reputation even further with its customers by looking so petty and foolish.

I get that a fine was pretty much going to happen and am sure the Rangers knew it when they made the statement. But I do think it continues to show the league is out of touch with its core fan base. There has been widespread frustration from core fans for a long time over player safety and discipline. This is only causing further erosion of trust between fans and the league. And for people like me that have had their viewing opportunities go down due to life circumstances, this could be the final straw that changes them from Center Ice subscriber to cable/network viewer; season ticket holder to partial season pack; loyal viewer to casual or not at all interested; etc.

The sad thing is they may actually be thinking like a business as most these days think of only short term quarterly profit over long term strategy. But for me, the better move is take your lumps from the Rangers and get a better handle on your disciplinary staff. Take your umps right nos and be better for the future.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 11:03 AM   #50
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
I've watched the incident several times. I just disagree with people's characterization of how much 'slamming' was happening, or even targeting of the head.

It was an aggressive melee of two guys of much different sizes, of which the smaller initiated.

I'd call this a 1-2 game suspension MAX.
2 games plus repeat offender. So the rest of the regular season (4 games)

Old 05-06-2021, 11:05 AM   #51
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
These fines also show the league is cash poor and faking outrage.

A competant league would take away draft picks or dock points for actual real offenses.
I don't think it's a cash grab by the league.

But personally I am all for big dollar fines when the league is looking to punish teams and front office officials (not talking about this instance but in general).

Make the perpetrators feel it where it counts the most to them. Take away draft picks when the GM for example misbehaves? Great, future fans of the team suffer and the GM ends up working in another organization.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:11 AM   #52
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

I don't know if it's the Flames poor and now utterly boring play, the referee's and league's attempts at managing the games and standings to create fake parity, the "rules" that are not called as they are written or BS like this, but I am a 44 year old life long fan that is VERY quickly losing interest in even caring about hockey.

I have zero desire to run a playoff pool that I have been running for 20+ years, almost no interest in the upcoming playoffs, and really not even looking forward to the offseason carnage with the Flames.

Meh.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:16 AM   #53
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also, not sure if this has been posted already but notable:

Report: George Parros Didn’t Want To Suspend Tom Wilson For Brandon Carlo Hit
https://boston.cbslocal.com/2021/05/...-carlo-bruins/

“Parros, we’ve heard, didn’t even want to suspend Wilson for the brain-damaging assault on Boston’s Brandon Carlo, who suffered mood changes and blurry vision from his concussion after being hospitalized by Wilson in March,” The Athletic’s Rick Carpiniello reported.
“Bettman didn’t like the optics and ordered a suspension. So Wilson got seven games,” Carpiniello wrote. “Before that, he wasn’t even considered a repeat offender, because the CBA erases priors after a certain period of time transpires.”

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 11:19 AM   #54
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
I don't know if it's the Flames poor and now utterly boring play, the referee's and league's attempts at managing the games and standings to create fake parity, the "rules" that are not called as they are written or BS like this, but I am a 44 year old life long fan that is VERY quickly losing interest in even caring about hockey.

I have zero desire to run a playoff pool that I have been running for 20+ years, almost no interest in the upcoming playoffs, and really not even looking forward to the offseason carnage with the Flames.

Meh.
My anger at the Flames has now transfered to the Blue Jay's.

Old 05-06-2021, 11:21 AM   #55
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Screw the NHL and their forced silence when it comes to gross incompetence. I'd like to see the team owners rally against this crap but it will never happen.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:22 AM   #56
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
My anger at the Flames has now transfered to the Blue Jay's.
Hey at least the Jays have a bright future!
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 11:22 AM   #57
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry, why so we have an ex-enforcer as the head of player safety to begin with?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 11:24 AM   #58
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quarter mill pretty well spent!
calumniate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:25 AM   #59
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Sorry, why so we have an ex-enforcer as the head of player safety to begin with?
This is how you know the problem runs deeper than Parros.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 11:35 AM   #60
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Rightfully so.

That statement was an abomination, sticking up for your players or not. Calling for someone to be fired crossed the line.
Thanks Gary.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote