Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2021, 12:39 PM   #81
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
This Wednesday's 31 Thoughts podcast was a full discussion with Hartley if anyone wanted to listen.
https://podcast.sportsnet.ca/31-thou...-khl-champion/

Great interview.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 05-07-2021 at 12:41 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 01:30 PM   #82
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good interview.

I wish they asked Bob about the Flames and his thoughts on the players he coached that are still here, plus Bennett. And what his plans were for each of them. The player comparisons he had for his players were always fun.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:44 AM   #83
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Obviously there is. Should go without saying. However, if you hate someone, why would you choose to speak an entire week with that individual in the off-season when you don't have to? Gaudreau could have easily made an excuse and found another camp to volunteer at.
The point I was making is that there's a difference between hating someone as a person and hating them as your boss.

I've had bosses I kinda hated that were fine to work for, and bosses I would totally have beers with but never work for again.

Which kind of leads me to the idea that it's pretty pointless for us fans to speculate about the backroom stuff when it comes to Hartley, when the amount of information we have is this small and ambiguous.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:08 AM   #84
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Obviously there is. Should go without saying. However, if you hate someone, why would you choose to speak an entire week with that individual in the off-season when you don't have to? Gaudreau could have easily made an excuse and found another camp to volunteer at.
Maybe he had made the commitment already we in advance and didn't want to reneg on it? How easy would it actually have been to excuse himself? Do you know?

There are plenty of reasons for why Gaudraeu helped out at Hartley's camp that don't require his unending devotion to the man.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:22 AM   #85
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unending devotion? Who is saying that?

Weird thread. Someone else arguing there’s not much difference between winning 2 games in a playoff series instead of 4.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:00 AM   #86
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Unending devotion? Who is saying that?

Weird thread. Someone else arguing there’s not much difference between winning 2 games in a playoff series instead of 4.
That’s not what I said. I said there’s a total of 3 PO wins difference between Ward and Hartley, and Hartley had 3 more years than Ward. . It’s just possible that Hartley’s win against a somewhat depleted Vancouver (which was the very best possible draw) is overrated, especially given how easily Anaheim dealt with Calgary. Ward was within 30 seconds of going up 3-0 against the cup finalist Dallas, and but for a goalie collapse would have had a series win IMO. I also think the play-in was pretty darn close to counting as a PO win. It would have back when I started watching hockey and they had a best of 5 first round.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:13 AM   #87
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Oh good lord, this is still going on?

The team deliberately blew up the country club roster and decided to rebuild. Any success af that point was above and beyond expectations which got him a Jack Adams

Congrats to Bob on his 5th championship in another top league, as well as for being the last Flames coach to consistently play entertaining hockey and also win a playoff round

I enjoyed the interview that was posted as well, it was quite interesting
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:35 AM   #88
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
That’s not what I said. I said there’s a total of 3 PO wins difference between Ward and Hartley, and Hartley had 3 more years than Ward. . It’s just possible that Hartley’s win against a somewhat depleted Vancouver (which was the very best possible draw) is overrated, especially given how easily Anaheim dealt with Calgary. Ward was within 30 seconds of going up 3-0 against the cup finalist Dallas, and but for a goalie collapse would have had a series win IMO. I also think the play-in was pretty darn close to counting as a PO win. It would have back when I started watching hockey and they had a best of 5 first round.
I agree with most of this, though I don't think the series win against WPG is any more impressive than VAN.

If we have to parse this team's very limited success, IMO it's as follows:

1a. Beating terrible VAN 4-2 (VAN's last PO appearance with that group)
1b. Beating injured WPG 3-1
2. Losing to DAL in 6; Tkachuk injured
3. COL/ANA/ANA - all just pretty not great.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:44 AM   #89
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Oh good lord, this is still going on?...
This was your second post in this thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Not far enough to be good enough for Brad Treliving!
...and you openly wonder why this thread took the turn it did?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:10 PM   #90
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This was your second post in this thread...

...and you openly wonder why this thread took the turn it did?

Sure, why not?

It was a quick passing comment.
It was correct.
Nobody was forced to reply

(but one guy in particular really seems to want to talk poorly about the guy. I wasn’t aware of this poster’s, um, ‘passion’ for the subject)

I’m not even wondering about the turn, more so that it’s still going

Congrats to Bob. The Flames could use the compete and accountability that left with him. So many championships in so many leagues
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2021, 12:27 PM   #91
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The results are what they are. Feel free to do the alternative universe scenarios but 30 seconds of being up 3-0 against Dallas? They were never even up 2-0.
But we agree, if it hadn’t been for the games they lost, they would have beat Dallas.

I don’t know how to rate the play in round since no other Flames team had the opportunity to participate in that situation.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 02:04 PM   #92
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Maybe he had made the commitment already we in advance and didn't want to reneg on it? How easy would it actually have been to excuse himself? Do you know?

There are plenty of reasons for why Gaudraeu helped out at Hartley's camp that don't require his unending devotion to the man.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Of course I don't know, and of course you don't either. Not sure how this is a productive argument. That's kind of the point, no?

Yes, 100% it may have simply been a reluctance on Gaudreau's part to reneg on an agreement. However, it is also something that Gaudreau could have easily have done as well, citing training, injury, etc. Not a big enough deal when you hate someone, at any rate. If I disliked my boss, and he no longer was my boss, I wouldn't spend time with him or her in the future when I didn't have to. That's a logical and reasonable assertion, no? Sure, 100% that Gaudreau is such a good human being that he would not want to reneg on an agreement and willingly subject himself to more time with the monster that is Bob Hartley.

There is a GIGANTIC chasm between hating someone and showing unending devotion. Arguing in hyperbole isn't constructive. I would not argue that he loves Hartley, nor shows him undying devotion, but I also don't think he hates him either. I personally conclude that if Gaudreau really did hate Hartley, it would be easy to extricate himself out of spending a lot of time in his off-season with him.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 02:12 PM   #93
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
The results are what they are. Feel free to do the alternative universe scenarios but 30 seconds of being up 3-0 against Dallas? They were never even up 2-0.
But we agree, if it hadn’t been for the games they lost, they would have beat Dallas.

I don’t know how to rate the play in round since no other Flames team had the opportunity to participate in that situation.
3-1. Sorry.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:14 PM   #94
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I agree with most of this, though I don't think the series win against WPG is any more impressive than VAN.

If we have to parse this team's very limited success, IMO it's as follows:

1a. Beating terrible VAN 4-2 (VAN's last PO appearance with that group)
1b. Beating injured WPG 3-1
2. Losing to DAL in 6; Tkachuk injured
3. COL/ANA/ANA - all just pretty not great.
Yeah, I wasn’t claiming anything was impressive. I think we like to ignore the play-in because it meant the Oilers were out of the POs. Hockeydb treats those points as post season scoring though. It doesn’t make much difference in the long run though.