Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2021, 10:13 PM   #101
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post

Sometimes it's like this guy is really just a hockey player from the future who thought it would cool to go back in time and f*** with everyone's chi.
I wish they had a 'hardest backhand' competition.

The way he pops those water-bottles....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:28 AM   #102
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
The tier below this could be pretty expansive (Forsberg/Fedorov to Francis/Dionne to Trottier to Thornton to Modano to Mikita to Clarke to Hawerchuk to Malkin/Kopitar/Toews/Getzlaf/Datsyuk, etc.)...my question is, has Bergeron distinguished himself from this group, as I'd argue Sakic, Yzerman, and *puke* Messier did?
Has he distinguished himself from that group? I wouldn't even put him in that group.

Messier, Yzerman and Sakic all have Conn Smythes to go along with their Hart Trophies and Ted Lindsay awards.

Fedorov was Selke level defense while still a threat for the Art Ross (finished second behind some guy named Gretzky one year he won the Selke).

I think I might underrate Bergeron. I mean it's no small feat to be nominated for the Selke 9 years and going. He's won pretty much everything including a game 7 Stanley Cup Winning goal on the resume. But has he ever been even a nominee for the Hart or Lindsay? Like I think his highest placing was fifth one year for the Hart, and never really close any other year (prepared to eat crow though). Heck, I don't think he's even been named to the Second-Team All-Star. I think that's pretty telling.

Don't get me wrong, he's obviously an extremely good player that I would have killed to have on the Flames. But like I don't think of him when I think of that second tier of centers.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2021, 11:29 AM   #103
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Forsberg belongs in the top group. He was just as unstoppable as the other guys, but he played in the clutch and grab era and was done in by wonky ankles
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2021, 12:16 PM   #104
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Has he distinguished himself from that group? I wouldn't even put him in that group.

Messier, Yzerman and Sakic all have Conn Smythes to go along with their Hart Trophies and Ted Lindsay awards.

Fedorov was Selke level defense while still a threat for the Art Ross (finished second behind some guy named Gretzky one year he won the Selke).

I think I might underrate Bergeron. I mean it's no small feat to be nominated for the Selke 9 years and going. He's won pretty much everything including a game 7 Stanley Cup Winning goal on the resume. But has he ever been even a nominee for the Hart or Lindsay? Like I think his highest placing was fifth one year for the Hart, and never really close any other year (prepared to eat crow though). Heck, I don't think he's even been named to the Second-Team All-Star. I think that's pretty telling.

Don't get me wrong, he's obviously an extremely good player that I would have killed to have on the Flames. But like I don't think of him when I think of that second tier of centers.
I think I agree with you, I'm mostly just thinking out loud.

Yzerman/Sakic/Fedorov/Forsberg/Lindros filled the gap between Gretz/Lemieux and Crosby, whereas this current group has been more in the shadow of Crosby/Ovi.

I think it might be that the past generation pyramids itself out pretty naturally (vs the current one that seems like a logjam):

1960-1973
1. Gretz/Lemieux
2. Mess/Yzerman/Sakic
3a. Fedorov/Forsberg/Lindros (super high peaks; not much longevity or success on their own compared to group 2 without their 1B)
3b. Francis/Oates/Gilmour/Hawerchuk/Modano
4. Sundin/Turgeon/Roenick/Damphousse/Brind'Amour/Lafontaine/D Savard/Nieuwendyk/etc

3b vs. 4 are pretty close and you could argue a few guys up or down.

If we go back a bit earlier, it isn't too hard to slot the 50's births: Dionne (3b), Stastny (3a?), Trottier (2-3b?), Bobby Clarke (1949 - 2-3?), Sittler (3-4?)

Then there are several years without (m)any elite pure C's...1974-1983ish:

Thornton 1979
Datsyuk 1978 (though he really emerged post lockout with the next gen)
Sedin 1980
Zetterberg* 1980, Elias 1976, Marleau* 1979, Lecavalier 1980, B Richards, Spezza 1983 - Group 4 above?

* hybrid C/W

So there wasn't much talent to challenge Sakic et. al until after the missed season, and then things kinda exploded again from '84-'90, but in a bell curve.

1. Crosby
2. Malkin/Datsyuk/Bergeron/Kopitar/Toews/Getzlaf/Thornton/Sedin/Backstrom/E Staal/Zetterberg*
3. Krejci/Spezza/Tavares/Stamkos*/Giroux*/J Carter/M Richards/B Richards/Lecavalier/Couture

I'm probably missing a few. I could see bumping those last few of group 2 down. It's just tough to delineate group 2. For me, Bergeron, Datsyuk, and maybe Kopitar are the most complete and without any warts/caveats...but I can see arguments for all of the others, too!

Perhaps the answer is that all of Malkin-Thornton slot somewhere between my groups 3a. and 3b above?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:42 PM   #105
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Forsberg belongs in the top group. He was just as unstoppable as the other guys, but he played in the clutch and grab era and was done in by wonky ankles
Forsberg would be at Jagr level if he had longevity/health he was that good. He’s in my top ten all time and damn close to a top 5.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2021, 02:04 PM   #106
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

2a. MM/JS/SY
2b. SF/PF/EL

Semantics, but this is probably the better way to group them than what I initially did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 02:15 PM   #107
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Forsberg would be at Jagr level if he had longevity/health he was that good. He’s in my top ten all time and damn close to a top 5.
There were a handful of years where there was a real debate over who was better. I liked Jagr because of size, but Forsberg was nasty.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post: