Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-09-2021, 03:21 PM   #381
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I'm guessing 12th but trade down into the 20's or trade their first rounder.
I could really see this happening for us. There’s a pretty long plateau after the 10th pick, or at least a few plateaus with not too much difference in talent. Might as well get a few more bullets in that gun.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:46 PM   #382
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've discussed this player a bit already, but another player to keep an eye on for this upcoming draft is LW Matt Coronato, who plays for the Chicago Steel of the USHL. This year, he amassed 85pts (including 48 goals), in only 51 games. Kyle Connor's draft year was 80pts (35 goals) in 56 games.

This kid has it all-the hands, skating, 200ft game, and even plays with bite, as evidenced by his 57 PIMS (69 in 45gp last year). He plays in all situations, including PP and PK. The only thing he doesn't have is size, at 5'10".

He's steadily been climbing up the ranks in many mock drafts, and it seems that many are projecting him in the middle to late stages of the first round, which I think is where he should be, but he was pegged as a second-rounder for most of the year.

Last edited by Sandman; 05-10-2021 at 10:40 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 10:53 PM   #383
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another dark horse for the 2nd/3rd round (hope I ain't bugging anybody):

Tyler Boucher, 6'1"C who plays in the USHL/USNDP. He's kind of a throwback player, in that he's rough and tough, and scores a lot of garbage goals. He's known for his speed (especially on the forecheck), his defensive game, and his nastiness. He had 13PIM in 5gp for the USNTDP. He may not be a top-6 player, but you're getting a guy who's a bit like Pospisil-but he can skate. He does have some skills though, so you might just be getting a second-liner as well.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2021, 09:37 PM   #384
The Professor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Another dark horse for the 2nd/3rd round (hope I ain't bugging anybody):

Tyler Boucher, 6'1"C who plays in the USHL/USNDP. He's kind of a throwback player, in that he's rough and tough, and scores a lot of garbage goals. He's known for his speed (especially on the forecheck), his defensive game, and his nastiness. He had 13PIM in 5gp for the USNTDP. He may not be a top-6 player, but you're getting a guy who's a bit like Pospisil-but he can skate. He does have some skills though, so you might just be getting a second-liner as well.
Definitely not bugging anyone! Draft talk is all we have to feed into our veins right now. More please.
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Professor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2021, 11:18 PM   #385
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's a Russian FW I think could be a sneaky pick up. Ilya Safonov. I remember being pretty impressed with him in the WJC. Big LHS C. 6'4" 200 lbs. Skates pretty good. He is 19, passed over a couple.of drafts but I think he can go mid round this year.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 04:14 AM   #386
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

D Roman Schmidt, USNTDP: I've seen him listed at 6'4", up to 6'6"-so we'll split the difference at 6'5"210lbs. He'll probably go in the late stages of the first round, due to his size and the fact that he's a terrific skater for his size. He already has a well-developed defensive game, but leaves scouts wanting more when it comes to offense. It has been said though, that he has a great shot, and the speed that allows him to jump up into the rush. That, and the fact that he put up some stellar numbers at lower levels in years prior to this one, suggests maybe that he has room to develop some offence. From reading about him, he reminds me of a young Brandon Carlo, being a smart, physical defender who keeps the crease clean, focuses on his own end, and makes a good outlet pass.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 04:40 AM   #387
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

D Logan Mailloux (OHL/Finland): Like Schmidt, Mailloux is known for his size (6'4", 214lbs), combined with his fantastic 4-direction speed. For a player known as a defensive stalwart, he has shown that he can put up numbers-this year in Finland's HockeyEttan, he was 5th on his team (SK Lejon) in points with 15 in 19 games, and in 2019-20 he put up 68pts in 48 games in the GOJHL. He's more aggressive in the O zone than Schmidt with his pinches (he can recover quickly with his speed), and is said to be a very good passer, and like Schmidt he is very physical. Pegged to go in the second round.

Last edited by Sandman; 05-12-2021 at 04:53 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 12:46 PM   #388
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Craig Button’s list is up on TSN.

https://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-defe...ings-1.1638404

Pretty top heavy with Defenceman. Hoping the Flames pick up a skilled forward.
Tkachukwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tkachukwagon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 12:58 PM   #389
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachukwagon View Post

Highest i've seen L'Heureux rated, I wonder what's driving that?

I would be pretty happy with any of the current rated 10-17 players on that list. Bolduc I am less fond of.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:10 PM   #390
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I would like to see the Flames take Jesper Wallstedt in the first round. They'll be needing goaltending depth in the system. What could go wrong?
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:11 PM   #391
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Our blueline needs a talent injection as well, though. Like we have a bunch of 3-4 guys, maybe even a 2... but not a single bonafide #1 talent in the organization.

Of course you can get away with that if you have superstar play at the center position, but we don't. We need more offense from the backend.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:36 PM   #392
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
I would like to see the Flames take Jesper Wallstedt in the first round. They'll be needing goaltending depth in the system. What could go wrong?
Ideally they can take Jesper Wallstedt with their first pick at 14 and then trade their second and two third round picks to get back into the first round and take Sebastian Cossa with a pick in the early 20's.
Old 05-12-2021, 02:46 PM   #393
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don’t know, the top 4 D in the draft are something worth looking into. Draft top end forwards in other drafts. Could also flip Hanifin/Valimaki if need be too. I want the Flames to draft their franchise D in this draft if possible.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:50 PM   #394
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Our blueline needs a talent injection as well, though. Like we have a bunch of 3-4 guys, maybe even a 2... but not a single bonafide #1 talent in the organization.

Of course you can get away with that if you have superstar play at the center position, but we don't. We need more offense from the backend.
I personally think that's a little overrated (that mentality kind of got the Flames where they are today) as you can have average defensive talent adhere to a system and play solid team defense. To score goals you need skilled forwards. Look at the Lightning's depth after Hedman for example as it's not overly impressive and they still ice a dominant team.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 03:02 PM   #395
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post
Ideally they can take Jesper Wallstedt with their first pick at 14 and then trade their second and two third round picks to get back into the first round and take Sebastian Cossa with a pick in the early 20's.
Draft all the goalies!

Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 03:04 PM   #396
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Button has Johnson and Lucius too low. But that's okay because they're both in the Flames window. So I hope his list goes down like he has it. I really like Johnson and Lucius.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 03:06 PM   #397
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post
Definitely NOT ideal.
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:15 PM   #398
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Michigan has a lot of highly rated players. I wish I knew more about the play drivers and those who are their beneficiaries.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:25 PM   #399
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I think Button has Johnson and Lucius too low. But that's okay because they're both in the Flames window. So I hope his list goes down like he has it. I really like Johnson and Lucius.
Johnson is definitely too low. Guenther too.
That's the craziest thing in his draft.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 03:28 PM   #400
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder when OHL player will start to be drafted. I still think there would have been some ranked in the first round ordinarily.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote