Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2021, 08:19 PM   #141
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
How many of those were pending UFAs?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

It's actually quite hard to find that information, since it was pre-cap, and the lockout happened right after.

But as far as I can tell, Nylander and Gonchar and Carter were free agents, while Lang, Jagr and Grier were not. Lang had three years left on his deal. They also traded Peter Bondra, who was a UFA. Lang was tied for the NHL scoring lead at the time.

In the last game of the season, the Caps also started like their fifth-string netminder, iirc, a kid who had played 3 or 4 games and would never play again.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:28 PM   #142
really?
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Worst case scenario is the exact same core is back next year. Just can't see that happening though, minimum 1 core piece moved out, hopefully two. I'm really hoping Treliving can pull off some more of those draft day blockbusters.
The heart of this team coming back intact would be bad, but not the worst case scenario. Imagine a second dose of the Phaneuf deal, say trading Gaudreau for a goody bag of nuts and bolts for a nuts and bolts coach to tinker with. I'll give Darryl Sutter more credit than that, as he understands the game far better than any of us and he must grasp that an infusion of youth and energy is needed here, but that will require some patience or a major stroke of luck. Regardless of how they choose to proceed, I don't believe the Flames have reached the ground level of mediocrity, and for the sake of the next decade of hockey, let's all hope they don't push that button.
really? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:47 PM   #143
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Scorched earth would make me very happy if it brought back a handful of higher end prospects and we just got to enjoy watching them contribute their creativity and figure it out.

Ottawa with the gradual improvement of their young team probably had a way less painful season than we just did.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:53 AM   #144
Britflamesfan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by really? View Post
The heart of this team coming back intact would be bad, but not the worst case scenario. Imagine a second dose of the Phaneuf deal, say trading Gaudreau for a goody bag of nuts and bolts for a nuts and bolts coach to tinker with. I'll give Darryl Sutter more credit than that, as he understands the game far better than any of us and he must grasp that an infusion of youth and energy is needed here, but that will require some patience or a major stroke of luck. Regardless of how they choose to proceed, I don't believe the Flames have reached the ground level of mediocrity, and for the sake of the next decade of hockey, let's all hope they don't push that button.
You have to be kidding this team has been the essence of mediocrity for the last 25 odd years, truly rubbish. If you want to continue to watch a middle of the pack team for the next 20 years then the team continues in this make the playoffs mode. The owners need to front up and allow this team to completely rebuild, its the only way if they truly intend to compete for the cup. They need to get rid of the entire core for as many picks and futures as possible and start afresh.
Britflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:42 PM   #145
really?
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britflamesfan View Post
You have to be kidding this team has been the essence of mediocrity for the last 25 odd years, truly rubbish. If you want to continue to watch a middle of the pack team for the next 20 years then the team continues in this make the playoffs mode. The owners need to front up and allow this team to completely rebuild, its the only way if they truly intend to compete for the cup. They need to get rid of the entire core for as many picks and futures as possible and start afresh.
Not saying the Flames have been anything beyond mediocre except in 2004, but it is possible for the Flames to track in a direction that produces more pain then they currently know. The current roster is trending towards a rebuild if nothing is done (see this year's draft status), so by implication in 3-4 years the Flames will have a new face. If they spend current assets to bring in a group of overachievers they may spend a couple of years circling the 7th or 8th place in the standings, but there's sure to be a lot of pain following that. I would hope that is not the plan, but who knows? Darryl Sutter wouldn't be here at the end of that ride, so it likely wouldn't matter to him, and if Treliving doesn't produce results, or at least ice a younger roster that is trending significantly upward, he won't be a part of the organization either.

If the Flames attempt to convert current assets into "instant help," it is not likely they will obtain any game changers. Players the equivalent of Stajan, Versteeg, Hudler, etc.. are NHL caliber, but the Flames already have those types in spades. They need to acquire players who have the ability to alter a game, and teams don't give those guys away. If the Flames are moving on from some players, and they are not willing to accept the risk/reward that accompanies still unproven commodities, I think we will be watching more of the same for the next decade plus.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:48 AM   #146
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by really? View Post
I don’t consider that worst case scenario at all though. Gaudreau for some nuts and bolts, there would be some decent draft picks in there too. And more importantly, the team will likely not be as good without Gaudreau thus a higher pick in 2022 and maybe 2023.

Those two drafts could completely change this franchise. That’s the best long term option here. That’s where the #1 C is, and that’s how we get one or even two.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 04:38 PM   #147
really?
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
I don’t consider that worst case scenario at all though. Gaudreau for some nuts and bolts, there would be some decent draft picks in there too. And more importantly, the team will likely not be as good without Gaudreau thus a higher pick in 2022 and maybe 2023.

Those two drafts could completely change this franchise. That’s the best long term option here. That’s where the #1 C is, and that’s how we get one or even two.
Hope you're right. I don't remember any draft picks in that puck bag the Flames received for Phaneuf.