Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2019, 08:10 AM   #141
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That was a great game, I was lucky enough to win some tickets at work. The Flames haven't lost a game that I have attended in 20 years. The dome went nuts when Rieder scored and the lady won the car in the minute to win it!
LouCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LouCypher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 08:11 AM   #142
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie28 View Post
Coach: Ok boys, shut down the Gaudreau-Monahan line and we will win this game.

Hey coach: I don’t think Johnny and Mony are playing together tonight.

Coach: Ok, just shut down the Gaudreau line.

Hey coach: Johnny is playing with Lucic on the third line.

Coach: Ok, shut down the Gaudreau-Lucic line.

Hey coach: What about the Monahan line?

Coach: Ok, shut that line down.

Hey coach: What about the Tkachuk-Lindholm line?

Coach: F’ck it, lets just beat the Canucks and the Greasers.
I know this is partially a joke but there is a lot of truth to this.

The Flames had become too easy to defend and match up against this year, and probably the last half of last year.

But with more balance across the top 9 you saw tonight that there was more space for our skilled forwards.

Was also surprised how great of chemistry it looked like Backlund and Monahan had, they looked great together.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 12-06-2019 at 08:15 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 08:15 AM   #143
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Rieder’s postgame interview: “When I got to the bench, Mony told me, 'You just won that lady a car!'"

https://twitter.com/user/status/1202824670254231552

No, not necessary at all.
LOL Boring Sean Monahan is barely a parody account.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:17 AM   #144
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau finally started completing some cross ice passes through the slot in the o-zone, which he hasn’t really done some far this year, hopefully that continues.

Rittich was rock solid when he needed to be until the Flames took over the game.

Passing up easy attempts at the EN come back to hurt the Flames, again.

Didn’t really notice Tkachuk outside of a bad penalty, the hit he threw after leaving the box, and the other hit of the ref.

Love Kylington, but he seems to fan on pucks probably 2x more than any other player. Bad luck on his stick breaking, but questionable decisions led to two penalties against, even though the buffalo player went down pretty easy on the cross check. Kylington is not that strong.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:36 AM   #145
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Admittedly I only saw the game recap but the way Kylington got back when his stick broke and stopped the player on the breakaway getting a quality shot off, without taking a penalty, was very impressive. Too many times you see D take a penalty in that situation but he playerd it perfectly, a sign of good hockey IQ imo.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UKflames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 08:39 AM   #146
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
Admittedly I only saw the game recap but the way Kylington got back when his stick broke and stopped the player on the breakaway getting a quality shot off, without taking a penalty, was very impressive. Too many times you see D take a penalty in that situation but he playerd it perfectly, a sign of good hockey IQ imo.
Well, except he took an interference penalty earlier. He was kind of scary all night. Some nice plays but some nailbiters too.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:41 AM   #147
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Kylington is fine, he is learning and is just going to get better.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 08:56 AM   #148
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
It was a great play I can't believe how fast he is. Also it's apparent that the players really like lucic they sound more excited that he scored then lucic does
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:59 AM   #149
BrennyBaller
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCypher View Post
That was a great game, I was lucky enough to win some tickets at work. The Flames haven't lost a game that I have attended in 20 years. The dome went nuts when Rieder scored and the lady won the car in the minute to win it!
Someone get this man some season tickets!!!!
BrennyBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrennyBaller For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 09:00 AM   #150
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It felt to me like the closest game this season to how they played the middle 2/3 of last season until the last five minutes when they got sloppy. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. However something has to be done about the discipline. You can't blame the officials for everything as 8 powerplays given up is unacceptable regardless of the outcome of the game.
Definitely the most semblance to last years regular season team.

The thing I noticed most was that the defenseman seemed way more active offensively than usual, pinching deep, joining the attack in every rush. They could do this cause the forwards were covering and backchecking hard, this was something Ward was alluding to in recent days. This is what made the team successful last year and they abandoned it against Colorado cause they were intimidated by Mackinnion’s speed. This was Flames hockey last night and they can’t forget it.

It sounds like Ward recognizes the issues and says the right things, now let’s see if he can lead these guys.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:03 AM   #151
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Game Takes: Flames 4 Sabres 3

- Gaudreau and Monahan hit the scoresheet
- Lucic with his first goal as a Flame
- Calgary PK kills off 7/8 Sabre chances
- Top three game all year for consistency
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 09:19 AM   #152
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

They looked like the hard forechecking quick plays Flames we saw last season...but holy Hanifin, buddy, wtf are you thinking?
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:28 AM   #153
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Re: Hanifin
Not the first time he's fired a puck blindly behind him, while he is behind his own net. And with similar results. Thats concerning. Should be something easy to correct yet here we are again.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:34 AM   #154
The Professor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Gaudreau finally started completing some cross ice passes through the slot in the o-zone, which he hasn’t really done some far this year, hopefully that continues.

Rittich was rock solid when he needed to be until the Flames took over the game.

Passing up easy attempts at the EN come back to hurt the Flames, again.

Didn’t really notice Tkachuk outside of a bad penalty, the hit he threw after leaving the box, and the other hit of the ref.

Love Kylington, but he seems to fan on pucks probably 2x more than any other player. Bad luck on his stick breaking, but questionable decisions led to two penalties against, even though the buffalo player went down pretty easy on the cross check. Kylington is not that strong.
Backlund made a number of those passes too. He had more jump than ive seen all season.
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:43 AM   #155
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked the Backlund, Monahan, and Gaudreau line. They looked dangerous. Putting Gaudreau on that line lets you put Dube back with Lucic and Ryan, which has been a very effect line.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:45 AM   #156
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love the fact that Ward tried something different on the lines to spark something with the players. The plays in the opposition zones were just buzzing like I've never seen before in quite some time. The game was entertaining and I hope this continues with the Kings on Saturday.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #157
FiveSeven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I feel like some are a bit to critical of Kylington. Yeah, he makes some bonehead moves but he gets better and better every year. Look back 2 years and he was terrifying.

Best way to get better is to screw up. That being said he definitely does scare the crap out of me at least once per game lol.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:28 AM   #158
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am as happy with a win as anyone. But the Flames really need to clean on their act. Way too many sloppy penalties. They were lucky not to get absolutely buried.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:29 AM   #159
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
It’s very telling that almost every game you believe the referees have “blatant bias” against the Flames.

No Problem with you or anyone else ignoring me.
I think suggestion of bias is silly.

That said NHL officiating is very clearly absurdly inconsistent. There’s bad officiating every game whether it’s in the Flames favour or not. If you’re trying to argue NHL officiating is pretty consistent and fair I think you’re out to lunch. Every game I watch there’s bad non calls.

The officials are not biased against the Flames. But NHL officiating is overall shoddy.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 10:35 AM   #160
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Kylington is fine, he is learning and is just going to get better.
Not disagreeing. It's just a bit nerve wracking. Andersson is a good partner though - rarely out of position.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote