Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2014, 03:28 AM   #601
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Star Citizen has hit $41 million.

Letter from the Chairman - $41 million.

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!

Last edited by Nehkara; 04-01-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:29 AM   #602
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 04-01-2014, 04:16 PM   #603
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome image from a DFM level (click to embiggen. Full size is 1885 x 885):

Last edited by Nehkara; 04-01-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #604
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gigantic pile of awesomeness that is the March Monthly Report!

Here are some incredible images from there:

Weapons store on Terra called CentreMass

This is concept upon which the HUD is being built for the Hornet.

Hornet in PBR with heavy armour.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #605
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surprised no bump.

For those who didn't know, CIG revealed the Dog Fighting Module offsite from Pax East in Boston last night.

It was, interesting and kind of a debacle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:50 PM   #606
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah they had lots of technical difficulties.

Apparently the patcher they were trying to use didn't work so they had to run an old build... which they thought would work fine but was pretty buggy and crashy and just didn't work well.

On the plus side, when it was working it looked pretty incredible.

Few folks saying they played it on the show floor at PAX East today and it was awesome... so that's a positive.

DFM will about around the end of the month. Roughly 3 weeks from now.

Last edited by Nehkara; 04-11-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #607
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is a video of the in-game stuff edited together... it is much shorter:

Old 04-20-2014, 04:35 AM   #608
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

New Arena Commander video out, new stuff starts at about 23 minutes:

Old 04-20-2014, 10:59 PM   #609
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

It looks good, but it doesn't look fun yet. The energy weapons that don't track seem like no good, hopefully bigger ships have guided turrets because dogfighting with stationary guns in space does not seem fun to me.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #610
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some more Arena Commander footage versus AI. I think it is pretty great but even this footage is 3 weeks old so by release it will be even better.

Also:

April Monthly Report!

Tons of great information on the state of the game and the work of all of the NINE studios plus freelance contractors that are hard at work on Star Citizen.

Here are some awesome images from the monthly report:

Javelin Destroyer Turret Concept

Unspecified Planetside Shop/Location

Engineering Section of Idris Frigate

Banu Merchantman Landing

Gold Horizon Station (This abandoned station will be the first level in the FPS module)

Concept Art for landing zone Sherman on planet Castra II

Concept Art for landing zone Sherman on planet Castra II

Work-In-Progress Revamped Citizen Dossier on RSI Website including Arena Commander statistics

Last edited by Nehkara; 05-02-2014 at 01:50 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nehkara For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #611
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

After much searching I have a compiled a pretty cool album of my favourite Star Citizen wallpapers. I have an imgur pro account so there is no compression on the images.

Here is the album (65 images), enjoy!

Even with an imgur pro account, there were still 3 images that were too large... so there are here:

- Arena Commander HUD/Title
- Goss II Bar
- Goss II Landing

The Following User Says Thank You to Nehkara For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2014, 09:43 AM   #612
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Like I said before, I'm willing to sign up as a crew gunner for anyone's ship, earning my way to buying a ship of my own.

A lone man trying to make his way in the universe.

Until I get my ship, then I'm killing everyone.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #613
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wanted to share this image with you guys... the first image of all three ships that will be in the very first version of the DFM, in a great image inside the DFM map Broken Moon. The image is a whopping 8000 x 4500 (click the image to massively embiggen!)

Old 05-13-2014, 05:23 PM   #614
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a great new gallery up on the RSI website:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...mestar-Gallery

One of my favourite images from it:

Old 05-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #615
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's that time folks.

Arena Commander's release plan has been announced. Initial release is expected for May 29th. It may still suffer some slippage but the plan is in place:

Quote:
Before I leave you to the individual studio weekly reports, I’d like to walk you through exactly what the next two weeks—if all goes well—mean for Arena Commander’s development:

May 17th: our IT groups will be updating our global internal server infrastructure. A lot of the internal tools we use for game development (checking in builds, storing assets, etc.) are in dire need of downtime and update; we’ve been running them in the red zone so we can have 24 hour round-the-world development on Arena Commander. During this downtime we will also be switching over to a much more flexible and advanced architecture for our content management system Perforce. We will be upgrading to using Perforce Streams which will allow much quicker and more flexible movement between code branches for our development team. This prepares us for the added complexity of launching and supporting a live multiplayer service like Arena Commander. Saturday’s update will allow us to push the final Arena Commander update out to the world with much more confidence (corrupted data from these servers was a major issue at the PAX East reveal!)

May 18th: with the new servers in place, we will split off the “Arena Commander Release” branch of Star Citizen. This will separate the Arena Commander you play from the rest of the game that is being developed by other teams. So data checked in by teams around the world that doesn’t have anything to do with dogfighting (such as FPS weapons, planetside maps or future ship assets) won’t cause additional bugs for the team to worry about.

May 19th: The QA team will begin their final troubleshooting session with the new Arena Commander Release branch. They will go through the entire game and catalog all the current bugs they can find – ships not spawning in the correct place, physics not functioning correctly, disconnects during battle and so on. This will help to generate our final “Must Fix” list for release. It is important to remember though that our internal QA team cannot find everything and it is very likely that we will not fix everything prior to release. We are releasing playable code to the community much, much earlier than you normally would in AAA game development. Because of this it will not be as polished as a final game would be so we are going to need a lot of support from all of you to help us in bug finding and gameplay feedback!

May 23rd: The official cross-studio playtesting of the Arena Commander Release begins. This represents a “pencils down” phase where, unless you are working on an authorized must fix issue the team is expected to QA the game as much as possible. After this point, only a limited number of “designated driver” team leads will be able to check in any changes to the game itself.

May 27th: By this point, we hope to have the egregious, game breaking issues resolved but there will still be plenty of known and unknown issues. This is also our deadline for making sure the launcher is hardened for the deluge of users and the first set of necessary servers for the release have been spun up. After this point all check in privileges will be revoked and will only be returned on an as needed basis by senior Production staff and myself.

May 28th: The release candidate build of the game will be compiled. If all goes as planned, this is the version of Arena Commander you will be playing! The team at Turbulent will begin switching over the website to the version that will make Arena Commander available to backers. I will personally ‘sign off’ Arena Commander as ready for the community on the evening of the 28th. To be clear, we fully expect that there will be bugs remaining, potentially some bad ones. That said, our primary focus is getting a version out to the community to help us find all the issues and work together to improve Arena Commander.

May 29th: This morning, the web team will spin up additional authentication and web servers in the in anticipation of high traffic during the release. The engineering team will begin “warming” caches on cloud servers around the world, making sure the release candidate game is ready and waiting for users. By the end of the day, we will update the website making the game available, and the first public release of Arena Commander (which we’re calling v0.8) will be live to the world for testing!

After this we will continue to work hard finishing off game modes, making balancing calls and hotfixes as we spin up more and more servers, allowing for more and more concurrent multiplayer games.

v0.9 will be an intermediate step with additional features, polish, fixes and the Squadron Battle game mode.

v1.0 will be when everyone can access the multiplayer and all game modes are in (Capture the Core comes in with v1.0).

You can read the rest of the Arena Commander Weekly Report here!

Old 05-17-2014, 12:23 PM   #616
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

New pilot heads:

Old 05-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #617
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Any estimates on the total number of players per instance? I'm aware they won't be traditional instances
Old 05-19-2014, 08:43 AM   #618
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
Any estimates on the total number of players per instance? I'm aware they won't be traditional instances
Ages ago they said ~100, more recently they said ~70, but once the game is in full release, who knows?

I would assume it'll be dependent on how smoothly they can iron out CryEngine's less than stellar netcode. Judging by reports, this has been the cause of 80% of the DFM/AC delays so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:25 AM   #619
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

couldn't be worse than the netcode in the frostbite engine. I wonder how Star Citizen will deal with the insides of each players ship, there's so much customization. Will the small items in the ship all fly out into space for everyone to see? I can see the objects and physics of the items in everyones ship being hard to deal with because instead of static models they have fully 3d models with interior geometries of their own. If you leave a cup on a table will it bounce around in the ship when flying, will someone see it floating in space if the ship gets torn apart?
Old 05-22-2014, 11:24 PM   #620
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
Nothing solid. I don't think they'll have really good numbers on this until the Persistent Universe is further on in development. They've mentioned 100 before but basically want to get it as high as they reasonably can.

Also, as the game will be continually developed into the future, they will increase instance sizes as computer hardware becomes more powerful.