When can you actually play this game?
Pretty sure that donating money is Playing the game"
Old 12-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #522
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehkara View Post
As I feared from the twitch livestream. That just about ruins the game for me. I guess I am playing with music off and with the X soundtrack playing in the background. I hate orchestrated soundtracks.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #523
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
As I feared from the twitch livestream. That just about ruins the game for me. I guess I am playing with music off and with the X soundtrack playing in the background. I hate orchestrated soundtracks.
Weirdo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #524
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Weirdo.
Sorry Star Citizen fanboys, but this game isn't going to be perfect in every way for everyone.

Orchestrated soundtracks have their place but orchestrated soundtracks have permeated too far into our entertainment culture and have squeezed out most of the alternatives in movies, television, and gaming. Too few artists and studios are willing to be different or take risks. People who accept orchestrated music in almost every facet of their entertainment need to start listening to other kinds of music. Not every kind of story and setting can be properly accentuated and punctuated by a style that evolved from 19th century opera. This kind of musical drudgery is the downfall of almost all entertainment media produced for mass consumption today.

There was a time when this wasn't always the case. In the past, you had a period where a movies like Chariots of Fire was scored by Vangelis on an array of Yamaha CS80s and experimental analog instruments. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrenece - a WWII prisoner of war drama featured a Japanese composed synth soundtrack and work by David Bowie. Music and composition has taken a tremendous downturn in creativity, vibrance, expression, and daring for the purposes of mass consumption. Not everything should sound like John Williams, James Horner, or modern day (he did good work in the 80s and 90s) Hans Zimmer blasé. I was completely shocked and pleasantly astounded this year when I watched Tom Cruise's Oblivion and discovered the soundtrack was composed by M83. Another highlight was Heath Ledger's "A Knight's Tale" where they took the route of scoring a medieval film with a Classic Rock soundtrack. That was awesome and different. The director correctly pointed out that 19th century orchestrated music would have been just as anachronistic in a medieval setting as Queen and Thin Lizzy.

Alexei Zakharov has so far done a decent job on the entire X series, to the point where I don't mind spending hours floating around in space, perfectly contented to simply drift as the music unfolds ambiently. Chris Roberts has mentioned the possibility of some ambient synth but I would appreciate some more variety in the dramatic score as well.

My favorite tracks in Wing Commander II and Privateer are piano and jazz pieces that I've tried to learn. There has been room in the series before for different kinds of music so there is some hope for Star Citizen for me. The oringinal composers for Wing Commander I came out and put out a surf styled version of the WC theme onto OC Remix a few years ago that was different in a good way. That'd make a great easter egg (playing in a lounge somewhere) in SC.

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01296/

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 12-04-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #525
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Counterpoint: most people like Orchestral soundtracks, which is why they are so prevalent.

No need to get up in arms about it.

(BTW you forgot to mention the best soundtrack ever, which is the fully-synthed FTL soundtrack. Pretty much the only soundtrack that dominates the bull#### nostalgia "chip-tune" bandwagon and utterly crushes every modern equivalent.)

Quote:

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 12-04-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #526
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone who almost always turns the music off in video games, I fail to see what the big concern is.

Of course, my ring tones are all Nintendo video gave sounds/music, so maybe I am missing some important stuff by having it off all the time.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #527
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Star Citizen hit $34 Million yesterday!

Hitting that mark unlocks:
Quote:
MISC Hull C (Discreet) – Scaling from small “box trucks” to massive supertankers, the MISC range of cargo hulls (A-D) are the standard goods transporter in human space. Extremely configurable, MISC Hulls can be adapted for most any type of transport job: from standard bulk shipping on the patrolled spacelanes to armored cargo hauling on the frontier. While these pre-configured hulls are primarily used for legitimate purposes, the MISC Hull Cs have recently become the favorite for criminals who modify the ship with advanced sensor shadow technology, quick-decompress holds and a variety of hidden compartments without modifying the ship’s body so it will appear to onlookers as standard everyday transports.
The $35 million goal is:
Quote:
Drake Herald – Knowledge is power, and one of the most valuable commodities is pure information: the 1s and 0s behind everything from UEC ledgers to Citizenship ratings. Whether it’s colonists struggling to stay in contact with the UEE’s central worlds or criminals trading in illicit data, there will always be a need to securely move data. The Drake Herald, small, armored ship, is designed to fit that need and safely get that information from Point A to Point B. Featuring a powerful central engine (for high speed transit and generating the power needed for effective data encryption/containment), advanced encryption software and an armored computer core, the Herald is unique among personal spacecraft in that it is designed to be easily ‘cleaned’ when in danger of capture. The Herald includes an array of heavy duty internal options for data protection, including redundant power subsystems and EMP shielding, and a high-powered broadcast array for data transmission.
The newly-announced $36 million goal is:
Quote:
Tamsa System – Located near the fringe of Banu space, Tamsa System features a massive central star that has collapsed into a black hole. Evidence suggests that there were at least two more planets in the system when the star collapsed before the ensuing black hole engulfed them. Only two planets remain in the system, a chthonian world and a gas giant located far from the black hole’s event horizon. Initial surveys indicate that the two outer planets are slowly being pulled towards the black hole, leaving the two as a risky proposition at best for any sort of colonization.
The 36-40 million goals will be star systems with predominant features chosen by the community (similar to how the 31-35 million goals were ships with specializations chosen by the community).

To vote for the $37 million goal, check out the Letter From The Chairman!

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!

Last edited by Nehkara; 12-08-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #528
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

An album of some Star Citizen concept art.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #529
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The New Ships Available for Star Citizen

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/s...-gravytrain/1/
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Handsome B. Wonderful For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 12-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #530
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait a minute, I thought you hated SA?

Quote:
Old 12-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #531
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Wait a minute, I thought you hated SA?
I can appreciate humour.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #532
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
The New Ships Available for Star Citizen

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/s...-gravytrain/1/
they missed the obvious two that I would spend money on

CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #533
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Letter from the Chairman on Dogfighting

It's official folks. Star Citizen has hit its first major delay. This is not surprising, most people closely following the game have been expecting this but here it is anyway...

CIG has delayed the Dogfighting Module for "a couple months". I expect that will probably mean March. Plain and simply they're not ready. They have decided to finish constructing the MMO backend and run the DFM on it, instead of just using the netcode in CryEngine (which was the original plan)... plus some other assets aren't ready. Disappointing but not surprising.

CIG will be doing a Christmas Livestream on Friday, Dec. 20th at 10 AM Mountain time, for two hours, which will include them discussing and showing the state of the DFM.

Here are some fantastic screenshots that accompanied the message: (CLICK TO EMBIGGEN)

Hornet Damage States

Dogfighting Module

Old 12-17-2013, 07:08 AM   #534
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

So it begins...
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #535
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Not surprising, always kinda thought December was too optimistic of a goal anyways. If we go into March though with nothing to show then I'll start to worry a bit
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #536
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Spent too much time hyping and collecting money, Now the clock starts ticking in terms of people putting a real critical eye on what's released.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #537
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

My question is when are they going to start selling $500 gold spaceships like MWO.

They have a long way to go to beat PGI in the "overpromise, underdeliver" department.

Quote:
Old 12-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #538
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
My question is when are they going to start selling $500 gold spaceships like MWO.

They have a long way to go to beat PGI in the "overpromise, underdeliver" department.
They pretty much started selling them immediately. $250 for a Constellation... LOL. I really hope you're not that naive. This is just the beginning.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #539
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, to be fair to CIG, Chris at least says they'll have lobby system in place by March, which means they'll likely beat MWO to it.

Quote:
Old 12-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #540
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you take a hard look at those two Dogfighting screenshots I posted... they are pretty cool. The chasing Hornet is destroying an asteroid that is between it and its target. The planet (with rings) and nebulae look great as well.