BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BloodFetish For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 11:30 PM   #82
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Dube and Mangi should be considered part of the core going forward. Johnny may not be here for the expansion draft, but ideally there's another forward taking his place (Hall, or a forward we traded Johnny for).

If you buy into Bennett long term then I think you expose Backlund IMO, and I really like Backs.
AC, just like your incredible video of Ferland's performance during the Canucks that I've literally watched at least a dozen times, Bennett better get his own video so I can sit back, relax, and smirk through the entirety of the video
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:33 PM   #83
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
That’s a good list. Want to keep them all at this point!
Quote:
Dube and Mangi should be considered part of the core going forward. Johnny may not be here for the expansion draft, but ideally there's another forward taking his place (Hall, or a forward we traded Johnny for).

If you buy into Bennett long term then I think you expose Backlund IMO, and I really like Backs.
yeah, tough decision.

it is possible they lose a D man too, as only Gio, Hanifin and Andersson will be protected... i am assuming that Hamonic and TJ are exposed just because they are free agents. I think they'd qualify as a 'pick' similar to Engelland who was also a UFA, but counted as a expansion pick for Vegas.

Gustafsson has actually been pretty good, so if Ksylington is picked i think Gustafsson would be a good replacement
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:46 PM   #84
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
yeah, tough decision.

it is possible they lose a D man too, as only Gio, Hanifin and Andersson will be protected... i am assuming that Hamonic and TJ are exposed just because they are free agents. I think they'd qualify as a 'pick' similar to Engelland who was also a UFA, but counted as a expansion pick for Vegas.

Gustafsson has actually been pretty good, so if Ksylington is picked i think Gustafsson would be a good replacement
The draft is NEXT off-season.

Brodie and Hammer will be on their next contracts.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 11:50 PM   #85
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Sam Bennett hits like a damn truck. This is the same Sam Bennett who flashed brilliance that one month in 17/18 who scored something like 15 points in 18 games.

The key to his success might honestly be playing on a heavy line. Lucic and Bennett could be the next Backlund-Tkachuk combo. They do it differently, but can be dominant in their role.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:52 PM   #86
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bennett is clearly better then Ryan, even in the regular season when playing with Lucic and Dube. I’ll continue to stand by that. Ryan is not a bad player, but really on this team better utilized as a 4th line centre.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 08-06-2020 at 11:56 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 11:53 PM   #87
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Expose Backlund??? I think that’s just madness. He was the best center in this series IMO.

I think since the Flames got away with just giving up a UFA Derek Engelland last time around, I wouldn’t be surprised if Treliving swung a deal with Seattle to protect a few guys.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 12:09 AM   #88
bigearl
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Last edited by bigearl; 10-28-2021 at 05:04 AM.
bigearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:54 AM   #89
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey everyone! Sam Bennett is having another good playoff performance!
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:21 AM   #90
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If this is his coming out party and leans this team into a couple of rounds, then you kind of have to keep him and explore moving Backs dont you? I mean a 5 game series doesn't really answer the question but really if this keeps rolling the way it has been, it has to be considered.

Watching him and Dube evolve into the next 2nd line duo would extend the core by a few years. And maybe able to shave a million off of the #2 center cap hit (sign Bennet for a few years at 3.5 - 4.)

I'll get some Flak for saying that but I think his body now has matured to where his game has always been. Lean and mean.

Man I sincerely hope this is the time he really breaks out, because I love what's happening right now.

Ward using common sense and putting him in a position to succeed with players of his ilk and drive, to him just taking the chance and owning it, yet again in the playoffs. Feels different this time
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 05:42 AM   #91
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

New Era is awfully quiet, this must be hard for him to digest lol.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:23 AM   #92
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I keep Bennett over Backlund. Been saying that for a while, Bennett will inspire the team and make it fun to watch games again
Old 08-07-2020, 06:27 AM   #93
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Expose Backlund??? I think that’s just madness. He was the best center in this series IMO.

I think since the Flames got away with just giving up a UFA Derek Engelland last time around, I wouldn’t be surprised if Treliving swung a deal with Seattle to protect a few guys.
My crystal ball says they expose Brodie, and Seattle is thrilled.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:29 AM   #94
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
New Era is awfully quiet, this must be hard for him to digest lol.
Not at all. I've praised Bennett multiple times during this series. If Bennett played like this all the time, he's a keeper. Unfortunately there is the Sam Bennett we get for 82 games, then the Sam Bennett you get for four games. The most important thing about being a professional athlete is consistency, and Sam has yet to develop that in his game. I love the Sam Bennett that plays hard, plays smart, and produces. Unfortunately we get to see that player for a small percentage of his games. He's the anti-Johnny Hockey, who is great for the larger percentage of his games, but is terrible in the others - and he has to go for the very same consistency reason. Bennett has to keep this performance up, otherwise he's the same Sam Bennett that the team can do without.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:30 AM   #95
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
My crystal ball says they expose Brodie, and Seattle is thrilled.
Did Brodie sign an extension?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:35 AM   #96
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Not at all. I've praised Bennett multiple times during this series. If Bennett played like this all the time, he's a keeper. Unfortunately there is the Sam Bennett we get for 82 games, then the Sam Bennett you get for four games. The most important thing about being a professional athlete is consistency, and Sam has yet to develop that in his game. I love the Sam Bennett that plays hard, plays smart, and produces. Unfortunately we get to see that player for a small percentage of his games. He's the anti-Johnny Hockey, who is great for the larger percentage of his games, but is terrible in the others - and he has to go for the very same consistency reason. Bennett has to keep this performance up, otherwise he's the same Sam Bennett that the team can do without.

Well, in truth none of them has to go. Whether any of them does is yet to be seen, but both has made solid contributions to this series win, and I for one is happy about that.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:35 AM   #97
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Imagine Bennett landing somewhere else and then having to face him in the playoffs? I think you keep him around for that alone.
malcolmk14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:37 AM   #98
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Did Brodie sign an extension?
In the crystal ball, yes.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:39 AM   #99
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Imagine Bennett landing somewhere else and then having to face him in the playoffs? I think you keep him around for that alone.
I keep thinking about what he’s going to look like in his late 20s size wise. I was a string bean until I was about 24 and then started to fill out.

Can’t imagine a Bennett who has filled out more, look out!
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 07:13 AM   #100
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

He was the best Flames forward. Hard to believe he was so good. Really nice to see him in another series before having to commit to him. Lucky he isn't up for arbitration as his current comparable player on the Flames are making 7 M and looking at a 10M offer sheet.

Now the Flames core is going to be broken up ... but because of cap rather than needing to change the mix.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
irrational hate , sammy benzo