Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-06-2020, 10:19 PM   #1961
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
the Bush administration (and embrace of neocon shills) who caused far more catastrophic damage than Trump has.

Can you imagine how Trump would have dealt with 9/11 if it had happened on his watch? The outright war he would wage on Muslims? The kind of division he would have stoked in the country? The blaming of Democrats for "promoting radical Islamic extremism"? Squarely blaming Democrats for the attack?

Of all of Bush's enormous flaws (and there were many), the one thing he can say is that he united the country in response to a major attack on its soil. Also, I don't think Bush told 20k+ lies and misleading statements, to pollute public discourse to the point of complete obfuscation of every conversation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mathgod For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 10:20 PM   #1962
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I'm trying to work out the comedy part of that, the ethno-political part was 100% accurate
you think the african american community isn't diverse?

lol
Old 08-06-2020, 10:22 PM   #1963
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post

Can you imagine how Trump would have dealt with 9/11 if it had happened on his watch? The outright war he would wage on Muslims? The kind of division he would have stoked in the country? The blaming of Democrats for "promoting radical Islamic extremism"? Squarely blaming Democrats for the attack?

Of all of Bush's enormous flaws (and there were many), the one thing he can say is that he united the country in response to a major attack on its soil. Also, I don't think Bush told 20k+ lies and misleading statements, to pollute public discourse to the point of complete obfuscation of every conversation.
Trump wouldn't have left his bunker for months.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:37 PM   #1964
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
you think the african american community isn't diverse?

lol
Culturally not really, the african american community in the US is massively comprised of the descendants of slavery, they are diverse in the same way white america is diverse, regionally, the only major exception to this would be the Jamaican diaspora in New York and Florida but although large it is still massively dwarfed by the descendents of slavery

The Latino community on the other hand is made up of distinct and massive ethnic groups, Mexican, Cuban, Puerto Rican and Central American predominantly
Old 08-06-2020, 10:46 PM   #1965
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post

Trump is truly terrible, there's no question, and had he been handed a 9/11 the level of butchering would have been astronomical, but we really need to stop letting the awfulness of Trump make us forget how atrocious the GWB administration was. Trump has been horrible with regards to domestic issues, and especially attacking democratic norms (not the party, the political system) and making a mockery of the office of the Presidency.

But he hasn't yet committed war crimes. Bush and company did. Bush's administration lied and got us into unwinnable wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Bush was an unmitigated disaster.
The Following User Says Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 11:03 PM   #1966
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
Trump is truly terrible, there's no question, and had he been handed a 9/11 the level of butchering would have been astronomical, but we really need to stop letting the awfulness of Trump make us forget how atrocious the GWB administration was. Trump has been horrible with regards to domestic issues, and especially attacking democratic norms (not the party, the political system) and making a mockery of the office of the Presidency.

But he hasn't yet committed war crimes. Bush and company did. Bush's administration lied and got us into unwinnable wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Bush was an unmitigated disaster.
While not "war crimes", theres a great body of evidence for crimes against humanity.

Putting Refugees in cages.
Implicitly endorsing chinese concentration camps
Turning a blind eye to hit orders against his own citizens
Ordering his own military to take actions against his own citizens
Re-envigorating the death penalty.......
Assasinatiing World Leaders to prove a point.
Dropping big bombs on airports because they have a cool name.

Not start drawing direct comparisons between different autrocities, but Trump has been equally terrible in his conduct with regards to human rights, and has revealled himself to be far far far far far far far less competitent than anyone imaginable in this role, all while doing much more damage to the norms that have held these actions a bay for the past 70 years.

I think its fair to remind everyone that Bush, Regan, Nixon... were all terrible, and ever since Goldwater the GOP has failed to offer a vision of a better America. But we shouldn't compare any of these people to Trump, they took the job seriously.

edit: its hard to remember everything with Trump we could probably keep adding, without getting into the ways he is using public office to enrich himself.
Possible involvement with a child sex trafficing ring.

Last edited by #-3; 08-06-2020 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:31 PM   #1967
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Culturally not really, the african american community in the US is massively comprised of the descendants of slavery, they are diverse in the same way white america is diverse, regionally, the only major exception to this would be the Jamaican diaspora in New York and Florida but although large it is still massively dwarfed by the descendents of slavery

The Latino community on the other hand is made up of distinct and massive ethnic groups, Mexican, Cuban, Puerto Rican and Central American predominantly
Call it my opinion, by I happen to think that the black community in the United States has a rich, diverse, varied culture that is not monolithic at all.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:56 PM   #1968
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
Trump is truly terrible, there's no question, and had he been handed a 9/11 the level of butchering would have been astronomical, but we really need to stop letting the awfulness of Trump make us forget how atrocious the GWB administration was.
Going by his track record, Trump probably would have accepted bin Laden's denial of being involved, and then would have praised him for being a strong leader.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:46 AM   #1969
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Going by his track record, Trump probably would have accepted bin Laden's denial of being involved, and then would have praised him for being a strong leader.
only if Trump owed the Bin Ladens billions and they also had film of him with a couple of hookers
Old 08-07-2020, 12:48 AM   #1970
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Call it my opinion, by I happen to think that the black community in the United States has a rich, diverse, varied culture that is not monolithic at all.
As does the white community in the states, but it's a varied culture, not various cultures
Old 08-07-2020, 01:10 AM   #1971
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Yeah you might have a different opinion than Biden in that clip, but what he's saying does make sense. It's not silly or funny.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:13 AM   #1972
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
As does the white community in the states, but it's a varied culture, not various cultures
But that's not what Biden said. He said that the Latino community was a diverse community with different attitudes about different things.

He said the african american community is not a diverse community - that african americans do not have "diverse attitudes about different things."

You said this is correct.

I just find it strange in today's climate that you agree with the statement that african americans do not have diverse attitudes.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:15 AM   #1973
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Yeah you might have a different opinion than Biden in that clip, but what he's saying does make sense. It's not silly or funny.
What he said isn't funny - it's bizarre.

The fact that he doesn't know what he's saying is kinda funny - in a Simpson's grandpa kind of way.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:26 AM   #1974
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurwamac View Post
This thread explains a lot of things about this website. I can hold my head high though.

But can you walk down a ramp?
Old 08-07-2020, 06:13 AM   #1975
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1291552038455775233

Trump just basically outlawed League of Legends, Call of Duty and World of Warcraft in the US.

Edit: Fortnite too
Good, maybe some kids will actually go vote.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:39 AM   #1976
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Definitely agree.

I don't think that was Biden's point at all, and diversity was probably a poor choice of words. The Black community tends to unite around politicians, political party and policies. The Latino community doesn't at all and a presidential candidate cannot campaign to the community as a whole.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:28 AM   #1977
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Biden might be even more comedy gold than Trump. I didn't think that was possible.

What's the comedy part? What am I missing? What he said was accurate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 07:39 AM   #1978
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But that's not what Biden said. He said that the Latino community was a diverse community with different attitudes about different things.
And he's right. The Latino and Hispanic community is much more diverse. It is very hard to appeal to this demographic because of this diversity. Messaging campaigns targeting Latinos are extremely complex and require greater focus on micro issues.

Quote:
He said the african american community is not a diverse community - that african americans do not have "diverse attitudes about different things."

You said this is correct.
It is. African Americans vote along very well known issue lines and rarely stray from those.

Quote:
I just find it strange in today's climate that you agree with the statement that african americans do not have diverse attitudes.
That's like saying that Evangelicals have diverse attitudes. They may be diverse in their beliefs, but politically speaking, they all share a common number of known issues that drive them to the polls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Definitely agree.

I don't think that was Biden's point at all, and diversity was probably a poor choice of words. The Black community tends to unite around politicians, political party and policies. The Latino community doesn't at all and a presidential candidate cannot campaign to the community as a whole.
Exactly. The diversity in the Latin community makes them very difficult to appeal to and nail down. They are the proverbial jello being nailed to the wall.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 08:15 AM   #1979
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
And he's right. The Latino and Hispanic community is much more diverse. It is very hard to appeal to this demographic because of this diversity. Messaging campaigns targeting Latinos are extremely complex and require greater focus on micro issues.

It is. African Americans vote along very well known issue lines and rarely stray from those.

That's like saying that Evangelicals have diverse attitudes. They may be diverse in their beliefs, but politically speaking, they all share a common number of known issues that drive them to the polls.

Exactly. The diversity in the Latin community makes them very difficult to appeal to and nail down. They are the proverbial jello being nailed to the wall.
Also, that clip intentionally left out the question which adds more context:
Quote:
Biden made the comment during an interview hosted by the National Association of Hispanic Journalists and the National Association of Black Journalists that was released in full on Thursday. His remarks on diversity were a response to a question from NPR reporter Lulu Garcia-Navarro, who asked a question about whether Biden, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, would engage with Cuba and on the differing immigration concerns between Cuban and Venezuelan Americans.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...-remark-392354
Old 08-07-2020, 08:47 AM   #1980
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just occurred to me. Biden has needed to debate the most ridiculous people to reach this stage. First Palin, now Trump. I thought he did quite well in the Pailin debates by contrasting himself with her. While trump’s obviously a different beast, I suspect a lot of the strategy will be the same
Closed Thread