Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2020, 10:13 AM   #61
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the end of the day whether you play 48, 70, or 82 games the regular season is to separate the the better teams. So I have on problem when the final 16 teams are ready to start. I think playing in the hub city is a bit of a equalizer as there is no travel involved. All that travel takes it toll over a post season, especially in the western conference. It will probably ensure the players get more rest than any other time in history.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:32 PM   #62
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

In terms of interest though it’s not there. I am ok with watching the Flames with my sons as a family thing, once the Flames are out I will not watch any of the other games. In fact the Monday game at noon was a complete waste of time and i regret that i will never get that time back. From now on I will PVR the game and only watch it if the Flames win.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 08-05-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 01:50 PM   #63
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

The dirty secret about championships though is that while they're great in the moment and the fans of the winning team always remember when they won the vast majority of people can't remember who won in a specific season off the top of their head, much less if there's some sort of asterisk that should be applied. We all know who won in 1989 but if you were to poll random hockey fans I bet most wouldn't know without looking it up. Even in the last 20 years, can anyone name me offhand who won in 2002, 2007, 2013, and 2016 and which one of those was a lockout? This is a memorable year for sure, but five years into the corona-free future is someone gonna look at the list of Stanley Cup winning teams, see the name of who won, and think "oh yeah but they actually had to play more games than other years required, in a bubble, in september instead of June so I really don't think that's legit..." I doubt it.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 05:27 PM   #64
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
The dirty secret about championships though is that while they're great in the moment and the fans of the winning team always remember when they won the vast majority of people can't remember who won in a specific season off the top of their head, much less if there's some sort of asterisk that should be applied. We all know who won in 1989 but if you were to poll random hockey fans I bet most wouldn't know without looking it up. Even in the last 20 years, can anyone name me offhand who won in 2002, 2007, 2013, and 2016 and which one of those was a lockout? This is a memorable year for sure, but five years into the corona-free future is someone gonna look at the list of Stanley Cup winning teams, see the name of who won, and think "oh yeah but they actually had to play more games than other years required, in a bubble, in september instead of June so I really don't think that's legit..." I doubt it.
Yeah, I don't think anyone's going to be forgetting 2020...

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 05:33 PM   #65
DMac
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
This is an interesting debate, though to me it's really simple. Part of winning any championship is the grind and injuries and attrition players and teams go through leading to the playoffs where it gets harder. Not having that aspect this year where players are healthy, means they can play hard, but that tired push through is not here this year.

So there is no doubt there is an astericks this year.

It is for the teams that are going through the play-in round - just ask WPG.

Calling the play-in round part of the "playoffs" is just a league sales gimmick - these are the last 5 games of the regular season; and as per the normal, the top [8] teams that have playoff spots secure rest their rosters while the middle of the pack battle for those last playoff spots as if it were the playoffs (and get the heck beaten out of them while doing it, with the reward being to meet a rested top [4] team).

Seasons played before the league had 30+ teams/4 playoff rounds don't have an astricks.
Seasons played before there were 80+ games a season don't have astricks.
Playoffs where series were played with fewer than 7 games don't have astricks.
Playoff formats where teams had byes to the second round don't have astricks.

This is 100% the real deal, even down to the respective wear and tear on the players and teams, and their mental state/preparedness, but played on neutral ice. The best players in the world playing hockey, for Lord Stanley's cup, with no fan/media distraction, what could be better for them.

Last edited by DMac; 08-05-2020 at 05:39 PM. Reason: typos
DMac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DMac For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 08:27 PM   #66
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Yeah, I don't think anyone's going to be forgetting 2020...
No one will forget 2001 either but I bet you can’t tell me who won the Stanley cup that year off the top of your head.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:29 PM   #67
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

No asterisk and those who think there is will just be labeled as sour fans.

As mentioned previously the average hockey fan probably can’t tell you who won 3 years ago. Outside the covid aspect which adds an interesting twist it will just be another stat.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:32 PM   #68
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Detroit
Anaheim
Chicago
Pittsburgh?

Just guessing.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:40 PM   #69
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No one will forget 2001 either but I bet you can’t tell me who won the Stanley cup that year off the top of your head.
The Avs. Obviously...

Really though, very different circumstances this year. 2001 and 2020 are wildly different as far as the NHL is concerned.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:30 PM   #70
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Detroit
Anaheim
Chicago
Pittsburgh?

Just guessing.
That’s 100% correct. I’m not sure where this idea that people forget the winners comes from. Lots of people know the winners off the top of their heads. I know lots of people, myself included, that remember the losers too.

The first three rounds all blend together. I couldn’t tell you who Anaheim or Ottawa played in 2007 but I could tell you Anaheim beat Ottawa in the finals.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 10:47 PM   #71
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
9/11 had zero effect on the NHL's schedule (and had not even happened yet when the 2001 playoffs ended). Silly comparison.

To this day, a lot of fans can tell you what happened in the Stanley Cup finals of 1919, and why. It was a unique moment in the history of the game, and this year is shaping up to be another.

Last edited by Jay Random; 08-05-2020 at 10:54 PM.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:23 AM   #72
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

As mentioned from others, the league has had interest in expanding the playoff format to get more teams in. This qualifier format is looking to be a great test run in how it would look, and be received. It'll be the NHL's response to the MLB's one game play-in. If they decide to still keep playoffs conference based in round 1, rather than division based for the first two rounds, wouldn't be surprised to see them move forward with it. Although I guess there's a way they can still do it within the division format.

What makes it so awesome though is the amount of games that's going on throughout the whole game. That definitely won't be happening when teams play in their own arenas with fans in attendance once again due to travel and logistics of playing afternoon games in the middle of the week.

Last edited by Joborule; 08-06-2020 at 07:29 AM.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:37 AM   #73
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Even in the last 20 years, can anyone name me offhand who won in 2002, 2007, 2013, and 2016 and which one of those was a lockout?
... Yes? I assume most on here can, anyway. Casual fans, no. At most I might struggle with the number of games. But you can even remember specific moments from those... Irbe's run and Larionov's OT goal in 02, the Chris Phillips incident in 07, the two goals in the final minute and a half with Bolland's heroics in 13, and of course, BONINOBONINOBONINOBONINOBONINOBONINOBONINOBONINO. I think fans remember this stuff pretty well.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 01:11 AM   #74
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m way more engaged than I thought that I would be.

Of course Flames, but other series too.

I’m enjoying the wall to wall sports!

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2020, 01:47 PM   #75
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Want to be excited to watch. But its just off. Hockey in the middle of summer is lame, but even worse is watching a tournament in empty buildings. Asterisk for sure. Teams like Chicago and Montreal have no business in the playoffs. They were way out of it.

You can be sure that in a tv stream only playoff during the height of the summer that Rogers and the nhl are not pleased losing Crosby and McDavid. Those guys attract casual viewers.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:55 PM   #76
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Want to be excited to watch. But its just off. Hockey in the middle of summer is lame, but even worse is watching a tournament in empty buildings. Asterisk for sure. Teams like Chicago and Montreal have no business in the playoffs. They were way out of it.

You can be sure that in a tv stream only playoff during the height of the summer that Rogers and the nhl are not pleased losing Crosby and McDavid. Those guys attract casual viewers.
Then they shouldn't have let teams that, in your words have no business being here, beat them. Suck to be the Pens and definitely sucks to be the Oilers.
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:00 PM   #77
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

With the players being off for so long and majority not being able to skate I thought the hockey would be disjointed and sloppy. But it's been the opposite, really entertaining and hard hitting. Even without fans I've been able to get into it. Whoever wins the cup will deserve it and will know they had the other teams best effort with almost everyone healthy,
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:13 PM   #78
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think a Stanley Cup final in October will have better ratings then June.

We aren't gonna have a normal NHL season anytime soon so I'm gonna enjoy it while it lasts.

Does anyone really see teams travelling around and playing each other in a few months?
Old 08-08-2020, 02:18 PM   #79
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I think a Stanley Cup final in October will have better ratings then June.

We aren't gonna have a normal NHL season anytime soon so I'm gonna enjoy it while it lasts.

Does anyone really see teams travelling around and playing each other in a few months?
If next season starts in December, it will probably start in hub cities without fans, at least until a vaccine is available and administered. Let's be real though, the best case for a vaccine is January and it will probably be April at least until the majority of the population can get it.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:16 PM   #80
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
If next season starts in December, it will probably start in hub cities without fans, at least until a vaccine is available and administered. Let's be real though, the best case for a vaccine is January and it will probably be April at least until the majority of the population can get it.
Are players really going to sign up for months of hub cities again so soon...I have my doubts

Edmonton in January lol