Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2020, 06:19 PM   #501
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Lewis did a slightly better job of managing his tires and that could have been the difference. Either way, even as a Hamilton fan, I'd prefer to see the other cars more competitive as opposed to catastrophic tire failures artificially creating drama on the last lap.
I used to never be a huge Hamilton fan (mainly because I was a big Rosberg fan, and thought he got the short stick in the team), but after watching the F1 series on Netflix, he seems to be a humble guy, given all the success in the career he has had.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:28 PM   #502
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crazy finish.

Those Rosberg ads make me hate the entire family.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:56 PM   #503
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hulk getting the blue screen of death with his engine is what happens when 2020 and Hulkenberg collide.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:53 AM   #504
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to fix F1 tires.

Here's what you need Pirelli to do. Make a multi-compound tire. The base layer would be super durable and able to go a full race distance on it's own, but be pretty poor to drive on. There, no more exploding tires. Then you have a softer compound above that, that would last maybe 50% race distance. Then softer that lasts 25%, and softer again, down to qualy softness.

You still allow tire changes, so say you want to drive really hard and rip through your soft layers, you grab fresh boots, so it wouldn't deter pit stops.

Top 10 still use the tires you did you best Q2 times on, but it would prevent different compounds giving the fastest cars a further advantage. P11 and back get fresh boots for a bit of an advantage.

It also simplifies tire transport and providing them to teams since there is just one dry tire. Though maybe for different races they need to shift the compounds, like they currently do.

Any drawbacks to this, other than the technical challenge of making them?

Last edited by Fuzz; 08-04-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:21 PM   #505
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I enjoyed this write up on Zak Brown and McLaren.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsp...claren-racing/
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #506
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm going to fix F1 tires.

Here's what you need Pirelli to do. Make a multi-compound tire. The base layer would be super durable and able to go a full race distance on it's own, but be pretty poor to drive on. There, no more exploding tires. Then you have a softer compound above that, that would last maybe 50% race distance. Then softer that lasts 25%, and softer again, down to qualy softness.

You still allow tire changes, so say you want to drive really hard and rip through your soft layers, you grab fresh boots, so it wouldn't deter pit stops.

Top 10 still use the tires you did you best Q2 times on, but it would prevent different compounds giving the fastest cars a further advantage. P11 and back get fresh boots for a bit of an advantage.

It also simplifies tire transport and providing them to teams since there is just one dry tire. Though maybe for different races they need to shift the compounds, like they currently do.

Any drawbacks to this, other than the technical challenge of making them?
Pretty much impossible to manufacture, it's hard enough to get one compound right. I don't know what an F1 tire has for tread but my stock car tires have a whopping 5/32 of usable tread. Then you hit the carcass and shortly after that, cords.

I don't think the tire issues can be blamed on Pirelli. Both Merc's look to have had the same issue and it could easily have been set up or related to their active steering.

I kinda like the way it is now, adds a variable and allows for different strategies. If something had to change I would be more inclined to have them pick one compound for the weekend. No engineer want to have to figure out how to manage a tire that changes as the race progresses, beyond the normal change you expect in a single compound tire.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:09 PM   #507
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The tires are already made of 2 compounds. I'd have to hear from someone who designs tires before agreeing it is impossible.

And this idea isn't just to keep them from blowing up (which is incredibly dangerous(see Kvyat) but to provide more choices on how to run the race on one tire. Currently you pick the medium, and you get the same degradation as my proposal, but then you don't get the option to stick on it as it rolls into the hard. You have to pit. You may still want to pit, or not. You still get the strategies, but every fresh set you put on comes with soft performance at the start, so you can potentially make up the lost pit time, even if your goal is to be on a longer lasting tire later.

As it is, there is often little incentive to pick the hard, because it sucks to warm up, so you are on your back foot. Anyway, if it could be done I think it would mix it up a bit, and be safer. I'm not sure I get the argument that no engineer wants to figure it out, a they already figure out degradation, and it would be another challenge for them.

I'm not sure your plan of picking one compound would work well, as often the track renditions change so much based on temps that you could have half the paddock on the wrong tire for the whole weekend. No one would pick the soft, as it would be an aweful race tire, and no one would pick hard because you can't qualify on it.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:41 PM   #508
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

So you want to go back to having one set of tires for the race?
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:55 PM   #509
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Mandatory two pit stops solves all tire problems. And there’s data supporting the idea.

That and we need performance convergence so the top teams can’t make Q3 by using the medium in Q2.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 08-04-2020 at 03:57 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:02 PM   #510
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Mandatory two pit stops solves all tire problems. And there’s data supporting the idea.
As would eliminating the ban on refueling.

Bring some strategy back.

10kg of fuel is worth a tenth a lap.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:34 AM   #511
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

obviously nothing is impossible, but from what I know of how tires are manufactured impractical would probably be a better word. The tread is set on the carcass like fondant on a cake then pressed/heat set in the mold so sure you could layer the compounds but just seems too complex and I cant see the gains.

As for one tire choice I was meaning the manufacture supply just one compound for the field for the weekend, evens the playing field but of course when they miss and have issues the race ends up sucking.

The more I think about it things are pretty good, again, it would be good to know set up effect in the weekend issues, anything will fail if you run outside of what the manufacture expects.

I would think Kvyat was a cut tire, maybe from the kerb, not a tire issue, man that thing just snapped on him.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:29 AM   #512
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Interesting tire discussion, for me it comes down to one thing only...I want to see drivers going full blast 100% of the time. I am getting so sick of hearing about tire management that it makes me want to throw my remote through the TV.

Let Pirelli or whoever build a tire that will last a full race with minor deg, mandate 2 stops with no need to use 2 compounds, and bring back fuelling like DoubleK said (highly doubtful tho). Make the top 10 all start on the middle tire and let bottom 10 options.

Anyways...more news!
Racing Point protest to be heard today, results Friday!!
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/r...paign=widget-1

Imola to only get 90min practice before qualifying!! This is AWESOME news IMO. Not much time to practice will yield a few mistakes and we'll get to truly see driver skill. I think we still do the Pick 'Em cutoff Friday night (aka no practice results, will all be blind). There is only 2-1/2 hours before the qualifying.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/i...paign=widget-6

Last edited by FLAMESRULE; 08-05-2020 at 09:32 AM.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 11:20 AM   #513
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will be interesting to see who can setup a car properly in such a short amount of time. My prediction is Haas and Ferrari get it wrong.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:45 PM   #514
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I don’t see them even finishing Sat morning practice. I predict so many red flags that qualifying becomes chaos.

That race will be a procession imo. A real chance for the first non-Merc/Ferrari/RBR win since Lotus in 2013 (right?).

Think about that for a second. Only 3 teams have won a total of about 120 races in a row.

Yet in 2010 the Championship leader never once won a race all season and Seb never once led the drivers standings until the chequered flag of the final race. It’s hard to fathom that kind of competition nowadays.

Getting away from that engine formula may be the best (hybrid) and worst (also hybrid) idea F1 ever had. With some aero tweaks we could have had a decade of great racing. But I digress...
Old 08-05-2020, 01:15 PM   #515
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
Anyways...more news!
Racing Point protest to be heard today, results Friday!!
Sneak peak of Racing Point’s upgrades for 2nd race at Silverstone this weekend.

Spoiler!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 03:13 PM   #516
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So they are also going to softer compounds this weekend. That would make tire failures even more likely, correct? Though they did say it will be a guaranteed 2 stopper, so maybe not so much an issue. The softs are going to be a garbage tire to start on.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:15 PM   #517
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

No that's not right at all.

They ran the hard much longer than Pirelli advised.

Also barring much rain, the track will be much more rubbered in which helps with deg.

Random aside: I HATE they went away from the hyper soft, ultra soft super soft nomenclature. This soft C2, medium C4, hard C5 nonsense is confusing AF.

Last edited by DoubleK; 08-05-2020 at 08:26 PM.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:00 AM   #518
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow. Racing Point loses the Renault appeal. Docked 15pts and €400K (lol).

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...WHxH1Uy9c.html

Question is how to handle this for our Pick 'Em. The car has been deemed illegal yet the drivers constructor points only got penalized 7.5pts each (15/42 total team pts). I believe they keep there driver points (seems odd to me). I see 3 options 1) leave as is 2) dock each driver 8pts, starting at Austria race #1 3) wait for any followup protests.

Sounds like Renault may be the one to protest since it comes down to money and being a "constructor".

Last edited by FLAMESRULE; 08-07-2020 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:06 AM   #519
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hamilton
Bottas
Verstappen
Leclerc
Albon
Ricciardo
Sainz
Vettel
Ocon
Gasly
Old 08-07-2020, 09:20 AM   #520
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
Wow. Racing Point loses the Renault appeal. Docked 15pts and €400K (lol).

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...WHxH1Uy9c.html

Question is how to handle this for our Pick 'Em. The car has been deemed illegal yet the drivers constructor points only got penalized 7.5pts each (15/42 total team pts). I believe they keep there driver points (seems odd to me). I see 3 options 1) leave as is 2) dock each driver 8pts, starting at Austria race #1 3) wait for any followup protests.

Sounds like Renault may be the one to protest since it comes down to money and being a "constructor".
Wow. Wonder how Vettel's feeling about that this morning.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote