Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2020, 11:57 PM   #3981
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
Maybe not incompetence, but everyone I talk to who drives through it regularly thinks it is a complete mess.
I don't doubt this, but this is not the first time a section of Stoney or Henday has made life difficult for people living near a sequence of tight interchanges. It's frustrating that people in that area had to sit through 4 years of construction for life to actually get worse, but their commute times unfortunately do not factor into the greater purpose of Stoney Trail as a road system.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:00 AM   #3982
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The confusing one seems to be the second sign. The first one says Macleod Trail, so that means north and south. The second one says Macleod Trail north, with no mention of south. It should just say Macleod Trail, right? I get that it has the right arrow, and is a lead to the following sign, but having it right at the split might cause confusion. With no mention of the south, it looks like the entire exit is dedicated to north.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2020, 08:01 AM   #3983
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

And the first one that says [Macleod Trail - City Center], but doesn’t say anything about South or Lethbridge, I can see how that looks misleading.

It should be just [Macleod Trail] if they aren’t going to have both directions indicated. If I saw the current sign then I would expect another exit for [Macleod Trail - Lethbridge] to appear next.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2020, 01:41 AM   #3984
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A little pet peeve from a design perspective driving on WB Glenmore and taking the NB Sarcee exit.

It appears you need to make your way all the way to the right far lane in order to take the exit which results in a lot of cars needing to cross over.

Given the amount of traffic heading on Glenmore onto Sarcee, is this the best design?

It doesn't appear to be as smooth as it should be and the more I drive some of this new road network, the more I see lot's of poor design elements.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:15 AM   #3985
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't see what you're complaining about. The two right-most lanes turn on to northbound Sarcee: that's essentially the exact same as before, but now you have three other lanes on the left that go west or south rather than everyone going west piling into the left lane in anticipation of the left turn at highway 8. And it's not as though there's lots of traffic having to weave to the right while other traffic weaves to the left: you have lots of time and space to stay right.

Besides, don't forget that when the rest of Stoney is complete the traffic that currently goes from WB Glenmore to NB Sarcee to get to 16th Ave NW will disappear almost entirely.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:16 PM   #3986
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe put more signs further in advance to direct people to go to the right lanes to get to NB Sarcee would be nice.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:34 PM   #3987
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
A little pet peeve from a design perspective driving on WB Glenmore and taking the NB Sarcee exit.

It appears you need to make your way all the way to the right far lane in order to take the exit which results in a lot of cars needing to cross over.

Given the amount of traffic heading on Glenmore onto Sarcee, is this the best design?

It doesn't appear to be as smooth as it should be and the more I drive some of this new road network, the more I see lot's of poor design elements.
That's not a problem with the design, it's a problem with drivers. Far too many people hanging out in the left-most lane between Crowchild Trail and 37 Street who need to go north onto Sarcee but insist on being as far away as possible.

It would be a singular lane change for people in the middle lane and the right-most lane could just stay put. Although I would agree with lazypucker that some advance signage might encourage people to change over a little earlier.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:48 AM   #3988
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Taking the new SW portion to beer league hockey at Southland is way better now than the old Glenmore-14th route. It's shaved 5 minutes off a 30 minute trip which is significant. My only gear grinder is the connector from 90th down to Southland. It's two lanes (fine) but speed limit is set at 50 so it seems to take forever. It's in the middle of nowwhere, seems to me the City could have set the limit at 60 or even 70.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:44 AM   #3989
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any update on the remaining SW leg? Was really hoping 162nd could be done sooner
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:50 AM   #3990
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Taking the new SW portion to beer league hockey at Southland is way better now than the old Glenmore-14th route. It's shaved 5 minutes off a 30 minute trip which is significant. My only gear grinder is the connector from 90th down to Southland. It's two lanes (fine) but speed limit is set at 50 so it seems to take forever. It's in the middle of nowwhere, seems to me the City could have set the limit at 60 or even 70.
It is 60, isn't it? I've driven that a few times now and almost certain it's 60.

It's 2 lanes for now but looks as though they started the 2nd, separate dedicated road. Would imagine they'll only do that once traffic gets denser.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:54 AM   #3991
boosterjuice
Backup Goalie

Exp:

They are painting lines on the west bound 22x just west of the ring road. 53st. intersection lights are flashing and appear to be ready. Looks like it will be ready by Nov 6.
http://www.swcrrproject.com/wp-conte...-Alignment.pdf

ALSO, for those of that use the ring road to cross McLeod Trail, we'll be moving to the south side bridge on Friday.

http://www.swcrrproject.com/wp-conte...-alignment.pdf
boosterjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:01 AM   #3992
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I'm not a huge fan of the lights at the Southland/90th intersection. They always seem to be red for me and and there's no one there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosterjuice View Post
They are painting lines on the west bound 22x just west of the ring road. 53st. intersection lights are flashing and appear to be ready. Looks like it will be ready by Nov 6.
http://www.swcrrproject.com/wp-conte...-Alignment.pdf

ALSO, for those of that use the ring road to cross McLeod Trail, we'll be moving to the south side bridge on Friday.

http://www.swcrrproject.com/wp-conte...-alignment.pdf
Oh good. Another set of lights that's entirely pointless.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 10:23 AM   #3993
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
It is 60, isn't it? I've driven that a few times now and almost certain it's 60.

It's 2 lanes for now but looks as though they started the 2nd, separate dedicated road. Would imagine they'll only do that once traffic gets denser.
It is 60, but it does feel slower on such an empty, open road.

One thing to keep in mind is there are plans for a commercial development where Southland and 90s meet. At that point the traffic density will probably increase, and 60 will be about right.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:15 AM   #3994
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I should have paid more attention to this thread. I went to drive a new road on a nice day by taking Deerfoot to Stoney, and all of the roads tried their hardest to send me to Bragg Creek.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:34 AM   #3995
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It is 60, but it does feel slower on such an empty, open road.

One thing to keep in mind is there are plans for a commercial development where Southland and 90s meet. At that point the traffic density will probably increase, and 60 will be about right.
I'll look again this weekend but I swear the sign is 50 WB where the road narrows from 4 lanes to 2. I don't recall seeing a sign headed SB so assumed it was 60 as that is the last posted speed limit on 90th. Then saw 50 heading the other direction so now I'm not sure what to think.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:07 PM   #3996
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any news about them fixing 53rd St. to make it drivable? I can't even take my pickup on that road. It's a joke that the city thinks this is an acceptable detour.

zarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 01:47 PM   #3997
boosterjuice
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarrell View Post
Any news about them fixing 53rd St. to make it drivable? I can't even take my pickup on that road. It's a joke that the city thinks this is an acceptable detour.
53rd road is the worst. I haven't heard anything of them fixing. I'm holding out hope that they will open the last leg of the SW ring road early. The bridges appear to be completed. All the light poles are up. Roads appear to be all paved. They should just open it early if it is safe.
boosterjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boosterjuice For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 02:53 PM   #3998
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I should have paid more attention to this thread. I went to drive a new road on a nice day by taking Deerfoot to Stoney, and all of the roads tried their hardest to send me to Bragg Creek.
I had to drop off a couple of things on Friday night. First in Cranston, then in Silverado. So I headed west towards Silverado. I casually keep an eye on this thread so I thought I was aware of the challenges in getting into Silverado when going west.

It was dark and I was unfamiliar and I missed the exit . Ok, no problem. Will just turn around as soon as I can. I think it was around Red Deer Lake school where I was finally able to turn around. Thought for sure we were ending up in Bragg Creek!

Once we got turned around, and the city lights became visible again, my 4 year old in the back seat: "I can see the lights of China!". It only felt that long, kid, it only felt that long.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarlLester For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 05:27 PM   #3999
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Reminder again that the city has very little to do with this project
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:53 PM   #4000
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
53rd is a terrible detour. Took it today as I needed to go to Millarville and thought the new RR would be a good option. Easy enough until the 53rd detour which is poorly marked, and even more poor of a detour. Maybe I would have been better backtracking east along 146th but I didn't know how far I would need to go before a road connecting to Hwy 22?

And I took the 90th Ave/Southland road again last night. There is no posted speed limit on the SB connector from 90th to Southland so the last posted speed limit is technically (I believe) in effect which is 60. However coming north there is a speed limit sign dropping from 60 to 50 as the connector reduces to two lanes from four. So an inconsistency in signage on the part of the City.