Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2018, 12:20 PM   #121
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Just got my emergency message - I must be out of the loop as i didn't get any pertinent details about the upcoming apocalypse, only "This is a Test of the National Wireless Emergency system". Do they know if I need a decoder ring to decipher the message?
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:27 AM   #122
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Likely talk to her at Thanksginving provided we are all still here....
How did thanksgiving conversation go?
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:07 AM   #123
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well just going to bump this and the answer is yes... Got an email form her yesterday which included the following:

-She is going to lose her government job because she is refusing "the jab", wouldn't get it unless a gun was held to her head
-Numerous false claims about covid vaccines and how Ivermectin was used to save lives....
-We are going to need 8 boosters, she has proof....
-More Anti Trudeau, Kenny, Pro Trump BS
-The Queen died in 2019
-Las Vegas Shooting was an assassination attempt on Trump
-Pretty much anyone you've ever heard of is involved in child trafficking
-More Covid claims
-Everything is corrupt
-She has lost her freedom of speech as shes been banned from both FB and Twitter depiste having over 5000 followers
-The truth is coming out, TikTok
-She will help guide others who wish to seek truths

This is just a brief rundown of the crap she believes that was in the email and sadly, she included links to "verify" everything. The dark web is another addiction for those experiencing mental health issues.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 11-29-2021 at 09:15 AM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek Sutton For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2021, 09:12 AM   #124
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

That's unfortunate, but she did get one thing correct.

-Everything is corrupt

I'm guessing her attendance at Christmas is not happening.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:22 AM   #125
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My advice for rookie conspiracy theorists:
1. The craziest predictions pretty much never come true.
2. Don't attach your identity to this stuff, most of it is dead ends, misinformation, etc. and you probably can't do anything about it anyway. It's fun to guess at how the world is run behind close doors, but you can't know anything for sure.
3. If you jump off a cliff with this stuff, no one is going to follow you.
4. Don't try and figure out who the good guys are, there probably isn't any, just different groups with different goals.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2021, 09:23 AM   #126
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
-Everything is corrupt
Nah, just the important things.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:41 AM   #127
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

At some point do we class conspiracy theorists as a person suffering from a mental health disorder?

She doesn't seem violent, so it doesn't feel like she's going to harm another person, but she's probably going to lose her job and that will up the crazy.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:43 AM   #128
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well just going to bump this and the answer is yes... Got an email form her yesterday which included the following:

-She is going to lose her government job because she is refusing "the jab", wouldn't get it unless a gun was held to her head
-Numerous false claims about covid vaccines and how Ivermectin was used to save lives....
-The Queen died in 2019
-More Covid claims
-Everything is corrupt
-She has lost her freedom of speech as shes been banned from both FB and Twitter depiste having over 5000 followers

This is just a brief rundown of the crap she believes that was in the email and sadly, she included links to "verify" everything. The dark web is another addiction for those experiencing mental health issues.
Sadly...this is a large part of what gets people here in the first place.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:49 AM   #129
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
At some point do we class conspiracy theorists as a person suffering from a mental health disorder?
No, because being willfully stupid/ignorant is not a mental disorder. There are people out there who are just plain dumb.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2021, 09:51 AM   #130
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I’m a little surprised we don’t have some more vocal Q nutters here. Even if they would be bombarded with how moronic they are you’d think they’d power through that to spread the good word of their deranged internet hive mind.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:57 AM   #131
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
I’m a little surprised we don’t have some more vocal Q nutters here. Even if they would be bombarded with how moronic they are you’d think they’d power through that to spread the good word of their deranged internet hive mind.
I've found that engaging is exactly when they want, and they dig their heels in deeper. It's like your daughter having a boyfriend that you disapprove of; Instead of seeing and listening to what Mom and Dad are saying, she digs in defending him and they just push her towards him rather then pulling her away from him.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:06 AM   #132
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

-The Queen died in 2019
-More Covid claims
-Everything is corrupt

I missed this thread the first time around, but I've been dealing with the exact same thing with my sister. The really unfortunate thing is she is keeping her daughter out of school because of it. Apparently, the dead Queen has been replaced by a shadow Queen who is ordering people to keep their kids home. She splits custody with her ex every two weeks and he is pretty distraught about it. He's contacted social services, but they won't help him. It is really sad all around.
pseudoreality is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2021, 10:18 AM   #133
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you need to borrow a gun?
Old 11-29-2021, 10:38 AM   #134
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
No, because being willfully stupid/ignorant is not a mental disorder. There are people out there who are just plain dumb.
This is a bit of a paradox though. Evidence is clear that you can’t make someone more intelligent. So someone who is plain dumb isn’t willfully so.

Not a mental disorder, per say. Although, it’s important to recognize that paranoia and delusions are absolutely symptoms of many mental disorders, if not their own recognized disorders. Delusion is fundamentally, by definition, a mental disorder. As you don’t support a schizophrenic by mocking their delusion, an OCD patient for their silly behaviour, or an anxiety patient for their ridiculousness, it’s hard to justify the same for someone who clearly demonstrates some of those symptoms.

So, let the dummies be dumb. Or treat them like you would someone with delusional disorder. But slander and mocking is probably the least effective me method.

Last edited by 81MC; 11-29-2021 at 10:40 AM.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:12 PM   #135
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Not Safe For Work, but applicable to the discussion:

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:32 PM   #136
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll never understand the fascination with this type of stuff.
I was at a friend's place a while back for a get together, he had some of his buddies over who I'd never met. Talking about #### like there is two sun's, and THEY use a cloaking device over the second one. And THEY built it a long time ago. "QUESTION EVERYTHING" (TM) was the theme of the night that was pronounced loudly with spittle flying after every crazy claim. However when I questioned who THEY are who were able to put together a gigantic sun cloaking device in space, the reaction was like I ####ed someone's wife.

I'll never understand the appeal. There is enough corruption in the world today, hidden in plain view and on the news everyday, yet we have to worry about lizard people and sun cloaking devices.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:49 PM   #137
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I remember being a kid and reading books about the Bermuda triangle, bigfoot, aliens and all that horse####. I thought it was interesting then but I've grown out of it after realizing how improbable, absurd and far fetched it all is, not to mention zero real evidence.

I've come to a place when I can't ####ing stand these conspiracy people, their stupidity is astounding. Just haven't found the best way to deal with them, nothing seems to get through to them.
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2021, 12:51 PM   #138
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just pour yourself another drink and embrace the Morlocks.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:58 PM   #139
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

First of all, are we sure she was in full control of her faculties to begin with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
I remember being a kid and reading books about the Bermuda triangle, bigfoot, aliens and all that horse####. I thought it was interesting then but I've grown out of it after realizing how improbable, absurd and far fetched it all is, not to mention zero real evidence.

I've come to a place when I can't ####ing stand these conspiracy people, their stupidity is astounding. Just haven't found the best way to deal with them, nothing seems to get through to them.
There are a lot of good reasons for this too. People like their conspiracy theories. Its like a safety blanket or a comfortable pair of worn-in shoes.

And the inability to reason people out of these beliefs is usually a cornerstone tenet of conspiracy theories.

"They dont know! They're just sheeple doing what 'The Man' wants them to do! Do your own research! Trust only yourself! The Truth....is Out There!!"

Oh, and you'd better believe they absolutely bank on people getting frustrated and giving up trying to reason them out of unreasonable positions.

Really...all you can do is chuckle and move along.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:00 PM   #140
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
I'll never understand the fascination with this type of stuff.
I was at a friend's place a while back for a get together, he had some of his buddies over who I'd never met. Talking about #### like there is two sun's, and THEY use a cloaking device over the second one. And THEY built it a long time ago. "QUESTION EVERYTHING" (TM) was the theme of the night that was pronounced loudly with spittle flying after every crazy claim. However when I questioned who THEY are who were able to put together a gigantic sun cloaking device in space, the reaction was like I ####ed someone's wife.

I'll never understand the appeal. There is enough corruption in the world today, hidden in plain view and on the news everyday, yet we have to worry about lizard people and sun cloaking devices.
The simplest question to ask people is "who is doing this, and WHY?"

Like, what is the purpose of cloaking a second sun?
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote