Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-10-2017, 05:16 PM   #1
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Kangen Water, What are your thoughts?

Hi all,

I have a friend who has become adamant about Kangen Water and the machines to produce this. So much so that he is now attempting to sell me one. it is an artificially Alkalized water that is created through electrolysis.

What does the CP Brain Trust have to say about this?
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:22 PM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.alkalinewaterionizers.org...-so-expensive/

Never heard of them, but sounds like a MLM scam to me.

Our tap water is great, I don't even bother with a Brita.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 05:23 PM   #3
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know that electrolytes are what plants crave...that is the extent of my knowledge.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 05:24 PM   #4
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Multi-level marketing.

Here's a good run down of their ridiculous claims.

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4139

Quote:
Please, everyone: Before you invest money in a Kangen machine or any similar competitive machine, or in becoming a distributor for them, do two things. First, ask a chemist to review their scientific claims; and second, ask a doctor about the medical claims. Maybe you'll find that I'm wrong and the multilevel marketing people have discovered whole new branches of chemistry and medicine heretofore unknown to science. Or maybe you'll find that they're simply another spin-the-wheel-and-invent-a-new-age-pseudoscience trying to separate you from your money with fantastic technobabble and glamorous personal testimonials, and just maybe you'll save those thousands of dollars.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 05:25 PM   #5
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Find better friends

If you drink alkaline water all that will happen is it will neutralize the acid in the stomach and become neutral, and your body will make more acid for your stomach.

That the machines are sold through MLM instead of health supply stores should be a good indication. Even a Google search of Kangen Water screams an incredible amount of effort and money put into marketing.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 05:58 PM   #6
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Find better friends

If you drink alkaline water all that will happen is it will neutralize the acid in the stomach and become neutral, and your body will make more acid for your stomach.

That the machines are sold through MLM instead of health supply stores should be a good indication. Even a Google search of Kangen Water screams an incredible amount of effort and money put into marketing.
I have already done a bunch of research and I am leaning towards the trendy BS "Fix everything" Miracle item.

The MLM makes it even more sketchy.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:04 PM   #7
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its garbage, tell your friends you're not interested in buying it or joining their cult.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 06:06 PM   #8
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Its garbage, tell your friends you're not interested in buying it or joining their cult.
But isn't more fun tearing apart their sales pitch with facts?
Old 01-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #9
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

whoops

Old 01-10-2017, 06:16 PM   #10
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
But isn't more fun tearing apart their sales pitch with facts?
Its funny because when your in your 20's and early 30's the lure of the whole get rich quick scheme is incredibly powerful.

You can run your own business. Make thousands a week from your house blah blah blah.

I had so many friends trying to get me to buy reverse ion air filters. specifically health beneficial metal bracelets. Various amway products that it became a full time job telling them to go away.

On top of that beyond buying, you'd get the "You'd be great at this you should come to an event this weekend"

I almost was tempted to put up a no solicitation sign at my front door.

And then when they fail at the first time, they'd move on to the next one and the next one after that.

Then when you hit your 40's and you start posting your resume on line you get constant phonecalls from Primerica and other shady financial services companies. Become a millionaire in 5 years, you just have to sell life insurance to your family members and manage their money

Yech.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:53 PM   #11
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Why would you want your drinking water alkalized?

Assuming it starts and ends within the range of drinkable water, your body will do a far far better job of adjusting it's own chemical balance than this machine could possibly do.

As a side note, you are likely just dumping this "alkalized water" into your stomach, which is far more acidic than your blood.

Last edited by #-3; 01-10-2017 at 08:50 PM.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:08 PM   #12
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate this kind of crap. Youth Juice made its way through my workplace several years ago. Is that garbage still around?
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:15 PM   #13
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
I hate this kind of crap. Youth Juice made its way through my workplace several years ago. Is that garbage still around?
That stuff was tasty at least. This stuff is really just water?
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:17 PM   #14
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if you want to play chemistry Kangan water has a Ph of 8.5-9.5 (which is a huge range given its a logarithmic scale). Stomach acid has a Ph of 1.5-3.5.

So you might ask yourself how much of this water would you have to drink to increase the PH of your stomach acid. So assuming a PH of 2 for stomach acid and 9 for water. So PH2 has 10^-2 free H ions and 10^-12 OH ions. PH 9 fluid has 10^-9 H ions and 10^-5 OH molecules. So to say raise the PH of stomach acid to 3 which would still be in the normal range you need to nuleutralize .9*10^-2 H+ ions. Doing this with 10^-5 fluid takes roughly 1000 times the fluid volume.

There is roughly 20ml to 100 ml of acid in your stomach at any one time so you would have to drink between 20 and 100 litres of water to raise the PH of your stomach from 2 to 3. Though raising from three to four would only take 2-10 more litres. This presumes your body doesn't make any more acid.

So have fun drinking that much water.

Last edited by GGG; 01-10-2017 at 07:21 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 07:28 PM   #15
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://business.inquirer.net/184754...alkaline-water

Quote:
Another expert, Dr. True Ott, minced no words in stressing that the so-called health benefits of water alkalinizers or ionizers are based on junk science. “These machines strip electrons from the contaminants themselves, and this creates hydroxyl ions which are harmful free radicals. The OH- ions attack cells and stimulate adrenaline, which is why there is a short-term buzz, but in the long run it creates a condition that breeds cancer. It can also cause arthritis,” he explained.
Tell your friend that if he even mentions this machine again that you'll find his stock and run it over with your car.

It crosses a dangerous line when some scumbag MLM sells a machine that promises health benefits but can actually do significant harm to the user.

Its dirtbaggery at its best, your friends a dupe and probably invested a ton of money buying these machines and as such he or she is a bit of a victim. But FFS people do some actual research.

http://www.alkalinewaterionizers.org...-so-expensive/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 07:40 PM   #16
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

A friend's ex-wife was into all these MLM scams; norwex, candle junk, diet lollipops, the scam that finally hit the jackpot was.... becoming a realtor.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Clarkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 08:51 PM   #17
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
So if you want to play chemistry Kangan water has a Ph of 8.5-9.5 (which is a huge range given its a logarithmic scale). Stomach acid has a Ph of 1.5-3.5.

So you might ask yourself how much of this water would you have to drink to increase the PH of your stomach acid. So assuming a PH of 2 for stomach acid and 9 for water. So PH2 has 10^-2 free H ions and 10^-12 OH ions. PH 9 fluid has 10^-9 H ions and 10^-5 OH molecules. So to say raise the PH of stomach acid to 3 which would still be in the normal range you need to nuleutralize .9*10^-2 H+ ions. Doing this with 10^-5 fluid takes roughly 1000 times the fluid volume.

There is roughly 20ml to 100 ml of acid in your stomach at any one time so you would have to drink between 20 and 100 litres of water to raise the PH of your stomach from 2 to 3. Though raising from three to four would only take 2-10 more litres. This presumes your body doesn't make any more acid.

So have fun drinking that much water.
Thanks for doing the math, it was fairly obvious to me you couldn't drink enough of this to actually effect your stomach pH, let alone your blood. But I was too lazy to check my spelling, let alone do the math.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:52 PM   #18
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scam
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:16 AM   #19
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Reminds me of a discussion a few years ago here, where someone at a networking club was trying to sell us "oxygenated" water. Such a nonsense product when you think of it.

http://www.chem1.com/CQ/oxyscams.html

Oxygenated water (also known as "superoxygenated" water) is offered at hundreds of Web sites. I highly recommend it if you happen to be a fish, but if you have lungs that breathe air, then forget about it! All water that has been exposed to the air is "oxygenated" to a small extent— about 8 milligrams of O2 per liter of water at room temperature— and this can be increased by pressurizing the water with oxygen gas; each additional atmosphere of oxygen pressure pumps an additional 40 mg into each liter. But what happens when you open the bottle? That's right, the extra oxygen goes right back out— but not immediately, so by drinking oxygenated water, you can still take a bit more oxygen into your stomach. But can any oxygen molecules that don't get burped back out actually find their way into your bloodstream through absorption in the stomach or intestine? I very much doubt it; the lungs are exquisitely adapted to this function, while your digestive system is specialized for absorbing other nutrients. Suppose, instead, that you simply breathe in an extra liter of air (much easier to do than drinking a liter of water!) It's an easy chemistry students' calculation to show that you will be inhaling about 146 mg of oxygen in this way. Not all of it will enter your bloodstream, but you can always take an extra breath; it's free!

Last edited by troutman; 01-11-2017 at 09:18 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:27 AM   #20
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I can't believe any idiot would spend $4000.00 on a machine being sold by a housewife or unemployed banker because they can say anything they want about health benefits.

This is so much the same as the alternative medicine quacks who sell their garbage to people promising to cure anything from a toe nail fungus to BIPOLAR DISORDERS.

You'd think that anyone with half a brain would listen to the pitch and say, hang on, I need to google something.

How much crack do you need to smoke GGG (Cause clearly your the match wizard) to think that a $4000.00 water machine is a awesome value.

Quick people I need some really good sounding health reasons to be able to sell people undefended a$$pickings for $4000.00 a shot.

"Like me kicking your a$$ will result in a lower state of consciousness and reduced stress, while physically once your bruises heal your skin will be tighter and much more supple. I accept Visa and Mastercard"

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 01-11-2017 at 09:29 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: