Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-19-2015, 12:36 PM   #61
Spuds_Buckley
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Valley Ridge!

Pros:
- in 5 minutes I can be on the highway on my way out to the mountains or on Stoney Tr
- has one of the few express bus routes that are left (don't need to deal with the CTrain gong show)
- lots of green space and parks

Cons:
- no local shopping and only a couple of restaurants
- only one way in and out of the community
- stuck with construction for the next few years as they put in the overpass at COP
Spuds_Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:38 PM   #62
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
Out of those groups, only the individual neigbourhoods in Central Calgary and Inner City could really be described as having their own unique character.
When it comes to character, your're probably right - once you're out of the inner city a suburb is a suburb. But school availability, recreational amenities, and commutes matter to a lot of people, and those vary quite dramatically from suburb to suburb.

As does the age of the community, and the corresponding density, tree maturity, and house layout. I personally wouldn't want to live n a newer suburb with houses built cheek to jowl, no trees, and no private yard. Maybe someone else wouldn't want to live in a house with a circa 1979 layout.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 11-19-2015 at 12:48 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:44 PM   #63
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
Canyon Meadows

Pros:
- Safe/quite
- Great access to Fish Creek Park and Kananaskis (via 22x west).
- Ctrain station

Cons:
- It's pretty boring
- Not a ton of unique restaurants/bars in the area.
- The commute, I grow to hate it a little more each week.

Truth be told I'm eyeing a move in the next 2 years to get back to the Glamorgan/Killarney/Bankview area of the city.
Another Canyon Meadows resident here.

We've got good access to other parts of the city. Go south on Elbow, you're in Fish Creek. North on Elbow is my commute to work. West on Anderson to more of Fish Creek and easy access to 22X as mentioned. East on Anderson to Macleod Trail, SouthCentre, Fish Creek Library and Deerfoot. Also close to Glenmore Park via 24th.

I had actually been thinking about neighbourhoods here recently. On the other side of the pond, a person would always identify themselves as being from a certain neighbourhood. Your whole life you would say you were from that neighbourhood even if you no longer lived there, but that's where you grew up and so that's where you were from. Over here, I can't imagine anybody saying they're from Glamorgan or Whitehorn for example. Is it because people move about here more, or because people drive more here and so your daily life isn't always confined to one particular part of the city, or is it because there is less of a class thing here?
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:22 PM   #64
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMileDJ View Post
#### you and #### anyone else that has this attitude about the NE. The stereotypes about the NE are unfounded and exactly that...stereotypes. Take your piddly racist ass out of here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalCarpenter View Post
I grew up in the NE (Temple) and don't live there now. Not because of the demographics but because it's a really boring area of town as far as things to do and see.

I have lived in Deer Run and Douglas Dale since (SE) and loved both area's. Deer Run for the access to fish creek and Douglas Dale for the amazing family raising experience - lots of parks and schools close by with similar access to fish creek.
This is it exactly. I've lived in Marlborough Park and currently Pineridge. The NE isn't bad because of the demograph (diversity is good); it's just boring since it doesn't have worthwhile lifestyle amenities. No scenic/natural parks, no communities with character that brings about nightlife or weekend buzz. NE is essentially warehouses, offices, generic retail, and houses. Most of the activity spots are based in the industrial area of the region. So not much incentive to go to a spot nearby afterwards.

It does have a good network system since it has great access to roads that will get you around town. Plus LRT runs in the area. Also packed with schools.

I should say though that this is based on the established portion of the NE. So from Memorial Drive up to 96th Ave/Airport Trail. There's new housing development in the plot of land north of Airport Trail up to Stoney Trail. And according to the area structure plan for the area around Skyview Ranch, they do major activity area planned around there. So maybe that area could have more character and attributes that the southern portion of the NE lacks currently.

I'm looking to move soon, moreso to inner Calgary which has more of what NE lacks.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:42 PM   #65
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
Would it be wrong to say we have the following groups of neigbourhoods in Calgary?

Central Calgary (e.g. Beltline, Downtown, East Village, Mission)
Inner City (e.g. Bridgeland, Inglewood, Sunnyside)
Northwest & Central North
Northeast & Near Southeast
South Calgary
Deep South Calgary
West Calgary
Expanding a bit on the concept of grouping areas of the city.

I think Calgarians as a collective need to stop using the quadrants (SW, SE, NW, NE) for anything beyond describing a civic address for mail or mapping/navigation tools. Saying "it's in the northeast," or "I live in the southwest." is just too crude, especially when describing ongoing or developing issues with an area. For a simple example, it can be snowing, raining and sunshine in different parts of the NW at the same time. Saying "I live in the southeast" can mean Dover or Ogden or Douglasdale or Auburn Bay, which are all different in many ways. The media could be reporting a "huge explosion and fire in the northeast" and many people who have an address in the northeast would be rather unaffected and it could be more relevant to people with a northwest address.

By the same token, breaking it as far down as communities is almost too much for many purposes too. First, there are too many for the average person to know or be familiar with. Also, there are many neighbouring communities that either sound similar in name, or more importantly are roughly similar in most facets. Many communities are broken down further into sub areas. "Estate" areas of certain communities, for example, or some newer communities where phases are given different names for marketing purposes.

I made this map a few years ago and have shared it here before, but I personally think of the city, for certain purposes, in this way:

It doesn't have to be exactly this, and one could nitpick any number of ways, but I say it is a good middle ground between quadrants and communities.

Last edited by frinkprof; 11-19-2015 at 01:49 PM.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2015, 01:44 PM   #66
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Rocky Ridge

Pros:
- Lots of schools and parks
- New LRT Station
- New YMCA / Library (2017)
- Good variety of restaurants and shops in near Royal Oak
- Quick access to Hwy 1 west

Cons:
- New LRT Station
- The weather just seems to be crazier this far north-west
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:48 PM   #67
gladaki
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Montgomery

Pros:
-lot of Parking
-Close to Banff as compare to south
-10 min drive to downtown
-Close to university and foothills hospital
-River is just two blocks from my house.
-lot of parking
-Lot of green space around, hills

Cons:
-Cant think of any
gladaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:37 PM   #68
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
I figure the mysteriously vacant and undeveloped land across from the community hall could hold a strip mall with pub.
I would approve highly of that. I don't really like that Nottingham's place across Nose Hill Dr., even after the big change they did to it.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:28 PM   #69
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Montgomery

Cons:
-Shady characters roaming around
-High crime
-Flooding

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:51 PM   #70
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

West Hillhurst
Pros
- Super close to down town for work, Dome, McMahon, the River, paths, parks, etc.
- Easy access to all major traffic routes, ctrain and the mountains
- All major amenities in a 15-30min walk (grocery, rinks, schools, shopping, hospitals etc.)
- No real crime

Cons
- Expensive, but that keeps the riff raff out
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:51 PM   #71
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladaki View Post
Montgomery

Pros:
-lot of Parking
-Close to Banff as compare to south
-10 min drive to downtown
-Close to university and foothills hospital
-River is just two blocks from my house.
-lot of parking
-Lot of green space around, hills

Cons:
-Cant think of any
How much parking does it have?
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:05 PM   #72
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
How much parking does it have?
Looks like there is two lots.
puckedoff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2015, 04:08 PM   #73
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My friend lives in Montgomery and I can never find a parking spot when I go visit. Usually have to walk at least a block. (first world problem)
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:19 PM   #74
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

I live in __________ neighborhood, and __________ is the best neighborhood, because I live in ___________.

Also, sorry guys, but the NE/Central SE stereotypes are very founded. Drive down 'International Ave' at 2 in the morning, and tell me you would want to raise kids there out of choice.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2015, 05:24 PM   #75
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
It's everybody's opinion, whether they want to admit it or not. I know exactly zero people who eschew modern comforts like running water, physical homes, central heating and electricity in favour of living in the woods. Nobody does it because it sucks.

All of us could quit are jobs right now - just get up from your desk and walk away. Start heading west, or north, or east or south or any direction. Live off the land. Never work a day in your life ever again. No taxes, no bosses, no commute, nothing. Nobody will stop you. It's free. It's how people existed for thousands of years. Why don't we? Because it would suck. Nature sucks.
Maybe for some, but I am 10X happier in my 22 foot trailer in some desolate campground without services, than I am in the city. My retirement dream, is to live in a mountain cabin somewhere, and basically unplug from the world. It would be amazing to just to live a simple, life of necessity, and simply enjoy nature. Nature sucks for some, but I can barely sleep the night before a RV or backwoods tenting trip I'm so excited about it.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:31 PM   #76
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Maybe for some, but I am 10X happier in my 22 foot trailer in some desolate campground without services, than I am in the city. My retirement dream, is to live in a mountain cabin somewhere, and basically unplug from the world. It would be amazing to just to live a simple, life of necessity, and simply enjoy nature. Nature sucks for some, but I can barely sleep the night before a RV or backwoods tenting trip I'm so excited about it.
RV I'm down with. Campgrounds are great, too. It's nature, tamed. I finally got my wife to agree to six months of travel in a camperized van in our early retirement. I can't wait.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:12 PM   #77
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm laughing at all the NE talk, it really reminds me of being in Calgary. Anyone who finds NE Calgary sketchy has obviously never been to Western Sydney.

Also, screw you whoever mentioned the Glamorgan bakery cheese buns. I am now really hungry and wishing I could devour a half dozen in one sitting. I eaten my way around the world and no other cheese buns have ever come close.

Anyhow, I lived in Calgary for about 20 years in the following areas:

-Willow Park: Spent most of my life here and it was a good place to grow up with lots of nearby parks, schools, golf, and ice rinks. I also like the closeness to the river and good transportation being close the Deerfoot and two C-train stations. The issues are there is not much to do at night and the added traffic congestion caused by the mall.

-Banff Trail: A mainly student area where things can get a little rowdy at times. Good public transportation and close to the Uni and McMahon. I also liked being close to Confed park and having quick access to the mountains.

-Ranchlands: A boring suburban community. It is a nice quiet place to live and it is easy to get to the mountains but there is nothing to do there. You also need to drive to get pretty much anywhere (although this is better after the train was extended from Dalhousie).

-Sunnyside: My favourite part of town. On the river and close to the city and Kensington while still feeling like a quiet community. The problems are the risk of flood and traffic can make entering/leaving the area a chore. It is also more expensive but I found you end up saving money not needing to drive as much.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:57 PM   #78
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I live in Bridgeland. I think it's one of the best neighborhoods in town for the sole fact that we have easy access to much of the best that the inner-city has to offer, yet we're still a self-contained neighborhood that offers some peace and quiet and space if you need it.

Pros:

• We have amazing access to really good park space and bike paths. St Patricks, the Zoo, Science Centre, Inglewood Bird Sanctuary are all a few minutes away. For a young family, this is probably the biggest pro.

• We're close to all the good cultural/social stuff of the inner city, but not right in it. You can go to a bar or restaurant, without having to listen to a bunch of drunk woo girls, or motorbikes gunning it, at 3am.

• We're right next to East Village. Having that as a destination gets better every year. Once the NMC, Library, and all the other amenities are built out, it will get even better. We're also close to other great neighborhoods like Inglewood like Sunnyside.

• We have some of the best restaurants in town (Black Pig, Shiki Menya, Burger 320, Blue Star Diner) are all about 2-3 minute walk out my door.

• This is a neighborhood with interesting character and history, something that is lacking in most parts of Calgary.

• Stores with actual personality...namely Bridgeland Market and Lukes.

• We have an LRT station.

• Easy as pie access to Downtown. The commute is minimal and you have options. You can walk/bike or take the LRT.

• We're mostly on a hill, so no flooding for the vast majority of us.

• Speaking of hills, amazing views of downtown.

• We're technically in the NE, so prices are cheaper than some other inner-city neighborhoods, most which have less amenities.

• Deerfoot is easily accessible if you need it.

• A really nice mix of families, old people, young people.

• Plenty of room for growth in the West part of the neighborhood.

Cons:

• Inner-city taxes.

• Still rough around the edges in the west part of the neighborhood.

• It would be nice to have a big grocery store.

• We get some spillover from the Drop-in Centre at times, so you get the odd hobo rifling through your trash, or drunk weirdo.

• Even though we are cheaper than some other neighborhoods, buying a house here is getting really expensive. If you need a tear-down, you can either get a 600k tear-down, or pay 1 Million+ for an infill.

• We need another bridge across Memorial!

Mmm, Spicy Hut!
Old 11-19-2015, 07:50 PM   #79
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Sliver I notice you didn't bring up any cons about Lake Bonavista so let me help you out:

-House prices are like they are from an alternate dimension, and in almost all cases supremely over priced. I think people from Bonavista think their houses should be priced like Pumphill, which is a joke unless you're actually on the lake. People pricing their stuff $1MM+ not on the lake is hilarious to me.
-A ton of people from the community are some of the most arrogant people I've ever met.

Maybe one day I will end up there if I can wrap my head around the outrageous price demands and can find a house that is not on the brink of collapse.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 11-19-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2015, 08:19 PM   #80
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Sliver I notice you didn't bring up any cons about Lake Bonavista so let me help you out:

-House prices are like they are from an alternate dimension, and in almost all cases supremely over priced. I think people from Bonavista think their houses should be priced like Pumphill, which is a joke unless you're actually on the lake. People pricing their stuff $1MM+ not on the lake is hilarious to me.
-A ton of people from the community are some of the most arrogant people I've ever met.

Otherwise you're correct, it's pretty sweet. Maybe one day I will end up there if I can wrap my head around the outrageous price demands and can find a house that is not on the brink of collapse.
That's a legitimate con, for sure. In fact, it's one I experience on a day-to-day basis. Used to live in a pretty sweet house in a new neighbourhood, but now I live in a smaller bungalow with a half-bath for an ensuite. We'll eventually gut the upstairs and renovate to the standard we'd prefer, but I have to save a lot of money to make that happen. Your average middle class guy living in Bonavista definitely gives up something on the house side of the equation for the upgraded community. It's a worthwhile trade off IMO, but I do miss my old place. Can't imagine what that house would cost in this neighbourhood...out of my reach.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote