Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2024, 04:15 AM   #21
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Either play Coronato more than 8 minutes a night or send him back down.
He had a couple of nice plays to set up his linemates. I certainly cannot justify keeping him on the 4th line behind Dryden Hunt. That guy did nothing all game long. Seriously, think back....do you remember him even playing?

I also needed to say that Backlund had maybe the worst game I've seen from him all year. Awful effort and decision making all night. Hope to see better from him next game. The effort thing in particular needs to be better since he's the captain.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 04:27 AM   #22
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga12 View Post
Latest pgt ever?
A full year late!
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 06:59 AM   #23
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
I thought it was commonly agreed around CP that the Flames don't have any high-end talent.

So who do you put on your power play? Your high-end talent, if you've got it. If you have none, it's going to be ugly no matter what.

Maybe blaming the PP coach isn't the way to go here. Just saying.
Flames are 14th in 5v5 goals scored. But 30th on the PP. How is there enough skill to be mid pack at 5v5 and not enough to be mid pack on the PP?
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 07:13 AM   #24
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Shocking that a team with not a lot of good high quality shooters is struggling on the powerplay. News at 11. If the Flames had those guys they'd be in the playoffs. If they had those guys they wouldn't have traded off the UFA's.

Its the reason why they are missing the playoffs and needing to rebuild.

They need to find those shooters in the draft.
Flames are 14th in 5v5 goals. How is that possible if they are completely devoid of skill?

And if they have this massive skill defect (to mid pack) then why not simplify the PP? Work the puck to the point, blast away and dig for rebounds.

Coaching won't turn the Flames into a contender, but a mid pack PP has them in a wild card spot.
Old 03-19-2024, 07:23 AM   #25
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

As per MoneyPuck, the Flames' playoff chances are down to 1.4% after last night's loss.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM   #26
skcli
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nothing new. mMove on to Saturday. Canucks will give us another 2 loser points
skcli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 08:54 AM   #27
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
Flames are 14th in 5v5 goals scored. But 30th on the PP. How is there enough skill to be mid pack at 5v5 and not enough to be mid pack on the PP?
Depth.

The team has three lines that can score, but nothing you could describe as a bona fide first line.

It also doesn't help that the team's current best goal scorer, Coleman, has heavy defensive responsibilities at even strength and also plays the PK. He's 9th among forwards still on the team in PP time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
And if they have this massive skill defect (to mid pack) then why not simplify the PP? Work the puck to the point, blast away and dig for rebounds.
There's a very good reason why you seldom see teams ‘blast away’ from the point anymore. Those shots are far too easy for a goalie to see, and if he can see them, he can stop them.

Last edited by Jay Random; 03-19-2024 at 08:56 AM.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jay Random For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 09:25 AM   #28
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

not the best effort and the Caps got some timely saves...oh well, on to the next one.
Old 03-19-2024, 09:32 AM   #29
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I look at the roster they have now, and I see a total of two players who ought to be on the first PP unit on an NHL team. Scotty Bowman couldn't construct a winning power play with this roster.
I don't get this line of thinking. Coaches can and should be held accountable too... Savard's entire job is to run an effective PP unit, and it's been this teams biggest failure for the entirety of the season.

The San Jose Sharks have a 20.5% PP for god sakes, and their leading goal scorer has 18 goals.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 09:44 AM   #30
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There's a very good reason why you seldom see teams ‘blast away’ from the point anymore. Those shots are far too easy for a goalie to see, and if he can see them, he can stop them.
Ot they miss the net for a self clear (that happened in the Flames favour a couple times the game before). Or the windup takes too long and they get blocked. People remember Stone's goals but blocks and misses were a lot more frequent. Anyway Moromanov has a hell of a shot so he may take a few to keep the D honest.

The big problem is (once again) a lack of goalie movement being forced. Ovie's second goal was a classic cross ice pass. The Flames never try for a back door or one timer. Or when they do the recipient isn't ready. Or is covered because they haven't done a good ojb of getting into a soft spot.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 09:57 AM   #31
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Depth.

The team has three lines that can score, but nothing you could describe as a bona fide first line.

It also doesn't help that the team's current best goal scorer, Coleman, has heavy defensive responsibilities at even strength and also plays the PK. He's 9th among forwards still on the team in PP time.

So better to not even get a shot on goal than try to get shots through from the point? Teams collapse and allow the Flames to fiddle along the boards and blue line because we never keep them honest and fire pucks into traffic.

Regardless of whether it is yhe best way to run a PP, we are 65 games in and Savard's plan sucks. What is the harm in trying something different.
Old 03-19-2024, 09:58 AM   #32
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
I don't get this line of thinking. Coaches can and should be held accountable too... Savard's entire job is to run an effective PP unit, and it's been this teams biggest failure for the entirety of the season.
There are always fans who think the solution to any problem on a team is to fire a coach. They're usually wrong.

Do you, in fact, know that Savard is not responsible for anything but the power play?
Old 03-19-2024, 10:05 AM   #33
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Depth.

Not sure what elite goal scoring Seattle, NYI, LA, SJ have that the Flames don't. Because they have significantly better PP's.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:16 AM   #34
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
There are always fans who think the solution to any problem on a team is to fire a coach. They're usually wrong.

Do you, in fact, know that Savard is not responsible for anything but the power play?
We are talking about one very specific and glaring issue that is this coaches primary responsibility though. It's a results driven business. How else should we evaluate him?

For example.. 251 NHL players have played over 100 minutes on the PP this season. Mikael Backlund ranks 247th among those players in points/60. Why is he averaging nearly two minutes a night on the PP when he has proven to be completely ineffective in that role?

Why hasn't a kid like Pelletier who has 18 PP goals in 100 AHL games not been given a look?

I don't think it's unreasonable to question certain coaching decisions.

Last edited by HighLifeMan; 03-19-2024 at 10:18 AM.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 10:31 AM   #35
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am more concerned about effort levels, the new additions to the roster and how the youth overall are coming along than I am about wins, losses and PP%.

This team has just sold off a lot of players. It is a miracle that they are able to be competitive. Huska and Backlund deserve a lot of credit for keeping the players at least looking hungry out there and simply not mailing it in.

This team finds itself in this situation simply because there isn't enough high-end talent. That's why they are rebuilding. I am not ready to point at Savard as a problem in any way right now.

I am just going to enjoy these spirited losses as they come. It is hard to watch a game and actually cheer for a loss, but I hope this team does lose the majority of the remainder on schedule, but does so at least with some spirit. There is still lots to watch about this team.

We all watch for different reasons, so don't take this as me admonishing anyone in any way. Maybe I should expect more out of a team that has just ripped the band-aid off and entered into a rebuild. Maybe my own personal expectations are too low at the moment. That's a fine rebuttal. I just personally don't see a point in worrying about things that, quite frankly, SHOULD be bad right now, and have been bad for a while. If they were good, we would be getting ready for playoffs.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 10:34 AM   #36
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think it's the time to give some veteran players maintenance days or day to day off days and call up or play Pelletier, Klapka, Schwindt, Damiani, Jones, Kerins, Solovyov, Grushnikov, Kuznetsov and Poirier. Use the last games for development and test for the young guys.
I will be happy if we win games with those young guys rather than with the current roster.

Last edited by NewFan; 03-19-2024 at 10:36 AM.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 10:53 AM   #37
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFan View Post
I think it's the time to give some veteran players maintenance days or day to day off days and call up or play Pelletier, Klapka, Schwindt, Damiani, Jones, Kerins, Solovyov, Grushnikov, Kuznetsov and Poirier. Use the last games for development and test for the young guys.
I will be happy if we win games with those young guys rather than with the current roster.
That will likely start happenning, now that the Flames playoff chances are near 0. The other thing we will see here though is the Flames load up the Wranglers for a playoff run.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 10:56 AM   #38
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFan View Post
There are only 2 non-emergency call ups left for the rest of the year. We’ll need to prioritize who we will get those call ups.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 10:57 AM   #39
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
That will likely start happenning, now that the Flames playoff chances are near 0. The other thing we will see here though is the Flames load up the Wranglers for a playoff run.
They could waive Huberdeau (with his permission) and he could light it up with Zary, Coronato, Pelletier, Pospisil. I don't think anyone would grab him and if they did - OK. Could probably do the same with Mangiapane (no permission needed).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 11:02 AM   #40
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
They could waive Huberdeau (with his permission) and he could light it up with Zary, Coronato, Pelletier, Pospisil. I don't think anyone would grab him and if they did - OK. Could probably do the same with Mangiapane (no permission needed).
And Hubby would waive why? Seriously?
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote