Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2022, 02:56 PM   #7981
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
I seriously doubt that the Flames sign Coronato and then put him right in the lineup for a playoff push. He might get the black ace treatment or end up on the Wranglers, but making a late season addition to the main roster, not likely. It isn’t that he doesn’t have the skill, it has everything to the speed and intensity of the game. Coronoto will not be at the same level as the rest of the team and I would say his fitness will not be up to snuff. Going to an Ivy League school means less game and practice time than other programs and he will not have the legs or the stamina to keep up at the NHL level. I think he signs because the Flames will need him next year in a big way, but I don’t see him in the lineup this year in any meaningful way.
Cale Makar says no big deal jumping to the big show but he’s a whole different animal
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 03:21 PM   #7982
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
I am not sure what these fans are seeing

hallucinations?

7 points in his last 4, just set up andersson for the winner, and looks dangerous around the net. maybe the only forward on the team that's been that in the o-zone all season

and when they were not scoring he showed the most frustration (because he was trying)
I think the thing that frustrates fans most about Toffoli is his lack of a fast and accurate one-timer. Give him a sec to shoot and he's DeadEye Dick. But smack a one-timer in his wheelhouse? Nope. He mostly traps the puck and looks for that good shot.

Some guys can one-time, some can't. Just think he's more one of the latter than the former.
Old 12-26-2022, 03:34 PM   #7983
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
I think the thing that frustrates fans most about Toffoli is his lack of a fast and accurate one-timer. Give him a sec to shoot and he's DeadEye Dick. But smack a one-timer in his wheelhouse? Nope. He mostly traps the puck and looks for that good shot.

Some guys can one-time, some can't. Just think he's more one of the latter than the former.
Maybe he just forgot how.

Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 03:41 PM   #7984
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Have we forgotten this one already ...

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2022, 05:20 PM   #7985
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toffoli has been one of the best forwards this season. He's not flashy, but he gets it done. I never understood the criticism. I know he isn't a fast player and fans like to see speedy skaters, but speed is probably one of the more overrated skills when it comes to being a productive player. There are so many fast players who never score and end up as 4th liners, and many slower players that are effective top 6 players.

I don't know if there is a player in the league who hits as many posts and crossbars as he does though.
Old 12-26-2022, 09:57 PM   #7986
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Agreed and he’s also not as slow as everyone makes him out to be. It’s just his style looks a little clunky but the actual speed is still there.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2022, 11:05 PM   #7987
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Toffoli has been one of the best forwards this season. He's not flashy, but he gets it done. I never understood the criticism. I know he isn't a fast player and fans like to see speedy skaters, but speed is probably one of the more overrated skills when it comes to being a productive player. There are so many fast players who never score and end up as 4th liners, and many slower players that are effective top 6 players.

I don't know if there is a player in the league who hits as many posts and crossbars as he does though.
I have no problem with toffoli. He has a great shot. The problem is ( and it’s not his fault) is that he is replacing Tkachuk on first line . The skill and creativity of those two players is night and day.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 11:18 PM   #7988
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I have no problem with toffoli. He has a great shot. The problem is ( and it’s not his fault) is that he is replacing Tkachuk on first line . The skill and creativity of those two players is night and day.
That's the price you pay for having Kadri replace Backlund on the second line, and Backlund slide down to replace the injured hulk of Monahan on the third.

In a capped league, you can't be strong at every position.
Old 12-27-2022, 12:16 AM   #7989
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Toffoli, I just don't like that he's our best player. It's not his fault that no one else is better than him or that the good players left. It seems like more of a dislike of the situation.

It's just the Flames.

This team just seems to be less talented, older, more expensive, and harder to like. The team just always seems to be a team full of supporting cast players without an elite player to who could put the team on his back and drag them to victory...since Iggy. The team is always never quite good enough to actually contend or bad enough to get a player that will make them a contender.

Toffoli and the Flames' other best players all remind me of Phil Kessel when he was on the leafs. Good players, just not enough to be "the player" on a team.
Old 12-27-2022, 09:45 AM   #7990
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now Toffoli is our best player, LOL.

The contortions that Flames fans are willing to make in order to put down the team, never cease to amaze me.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2022, 10:43 AM   #7991
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's playing like he's our best player a lot of nights. I guess I should have said one of our best players. Who has been the Flames best player? Toffoli leads the team in goals and is second in points. He's not the fastest but he's been the most consistent. So maybe not exactly our best player but second best?

The contortions some Flames fans are willing to make to defend this team never ceases to amaze me either.
Old 12-27-2022, 11:02 AM   #7992
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is pretty clear Lindholm is the top player on the team and Toffoli is a complimentary piece who has been able to find success with him. The Toffoli trade from last year is really paying dividends seeing how we lost Tkachuk and Gaudreau and only brought in Huberdeau as a replacement wing. He has filled in admirably as a top 3 scorer on the team where he was expected to be 5th or 6th.

Mangiapane and Huberdeau need to find their offensive levels from last season and this team will be one of the best in the lesgue over the second half
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2022, 11:07 AM   #7993
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's pretty much it. He's shouldn't be one of our top 3 players but he is, he's not setting the world on fire or anything, it's more that thr best players haven't been the best players.
Old 12-27-2022, 11:11 AM   #7994
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Now Toffoli is our best player, LOL.

The contortions that Flames fans are willing to make in order to put down the team, never cease to amaze me.
He’s probably our best goalscorer. If we’re picking best players I’d pick Anderson.

But really. Do the Flames even have a best player?
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 11:20 AM   #7995
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lindholm, Huberdeau, Kadri, Andersson, Tanev, Hanifin, and Markstrom are all better players than Toffoli (and that is not a slight on Toffoli), regardless of the ups and downs of a 30-game sample size so far this season.

Toffoli is a good player who is doing exactly what he is paid to do, even while other team-mates, and line-mates, are struggling. So kudos to him.

That's as far as it goes. Calling him our best player, as an attack on the other players, is pretty weak. It isn't me doing the contorting.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2022, 12:22 AM   #7996
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I'm beginning to really think about the prospect of the Flames trading for Max Domi to put on Huberdeau's opposite wing. He's not the same calibre of player but in some aspects he reminds me of Cammalleri ... good speed, strong build, can really shoot the puck. But he's also a lot meaner.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2022, 12:44 AM   #7997
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I'm beginning to really think about the prospect of the Flames trading for Max Domi to put on Huberdeau's opposite wing. He's not the same calibre of player but in some aspects he reminds me of Cammalleri ... good speed, strong build, can really shoot the puck. But he's also a lot meaner.
I don't hate Domi. If Jarnkrok was a 2nd, 3rd and a 7th, I'd assume Domi is at least two seconds. He is scoring this year.

Or maybe this team just needs to suck it up with what they have for this year and not send out picks.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 12:49 AM   #7998
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I don't hate Domi. If Jarnkrok was a 2nd, 3rd and a 7th, I'd assume Domi is at least two seconds. He is scoring this year.

Or maybe this team just needs to suck it up with what they have for this year and not send out picks.
I don't think Domi's value is nearly that high. Carolina got him basically for free at last year's deadline. Two seconds would be absurd, frankly.

I think you could probably get him for a mid-round pick. He's on a one-year deal and there are still concerns about his defence and consistency. But I think he also ticks a lot of boxes.

Any team that gives up 2x2nd for Domi this year is making a huge mistake. Giving up a 3rd? I think that'd be reasonable. He can keep up.

Old 12-29-2022, 12:51 AM   #7999
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I would happily give up a third if that's the price.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 02:05 AM   #8000
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep. I would give a third. Much rather something simple like that.