Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2022, 06:09 AM   #2101
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Klopp not winning and Klopp whining about how the other team played

Name a better duo

Can't
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2022, 06:11 AM   #2102
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Pretty fair result today, although Liverpool got completely lucky with the equalizer. I think that was an important point, but we really need Newcastle or someone to do us a favour.
I fully expect Newcastle to do just that.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 06:56 AM   #2103
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Klopp not winning and Klopp whining about how the other team played

Name a better duo

Can't
Can’t knock the results he’s achieved, but he is a sore loser. I realize that a lot of people at the elite level in sport are, but most people can show a little grace and humility. Not Klopp! It’s awesome!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 07:08 AM   #2104
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

The only thing I can see that he said is that Tottenham are world class but he doesn’t personally like teams that defend deep. What is so bad about that?
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 07:27 AM   #2105
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

How Spurs play is pretty much the biggest reason we even have a title race since they took both games from Man City this year. Without that this thing is probably over already. Liverpool and Man City both have the same issue with low blocks, they don't have the height in the box to make all those crosses count. Pumping in crosses to midgets like Salah and Mane and Sterling and Foden is the ultimate in hit and hope. In matches like that they both could benefit from having a Giroud type who can be aerially dominant.
Old 05-08-2022, 07:50 AM   #2106
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

If only we could get back to the days of Downing swinging in crosses to Carroll.

Pep and Klopp won’t bring in an aerially dominant player to go after aimless crosses, they will look to improve tactics to open teams up better. It’s similar to the once or twice a season when a keeper or defender turns a ball over and concede a goal and the media starts saying they play too risky. These guys don’t care about that, they will continue to play that way and seek to become more dominant in their games.

These two teams are the most dominant teams I’ve ever watched, and Pep and Klopp’s mentality is the biggest reason why.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:22 AM   #2107
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not suggesting they should abandon their current approach to try and play route one, I'm suggesting they don't have a plan B in these matches which is why they struggle in them so much. Without the early goal to force the opposition to at least consider coming out more it just becomes too comfortable for teams who pack it in. When the defenders know the incoming crosses are targeting guys who are 5'10" or less then they have nothing to worry about. In the end the only goal from yesterday was a deflection, otherwise it was all very comfortable for Spurs.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:54 AM   #2108
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that's probably Everton safe, down to Leeds and Burnley now.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:16 AM   #2109
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
The only thing I can see that he said is that Tottenham are world class but he doesn’t personally like teams that defend deep. What is so bad about that?
It's the implication that because Spurs sat back and didn't open it up that it's bad for the game and for some reason he would expect that we should play wide-open attacking football and get rocked 5-0 or whatever. I definitely prefer the attacking strategy as a fan, and it's a lot more fun to watch. But I was also under no illusions that Spurs were going to come to Anfield and try to take it to them...why would they?
Old 05-08-2022, 05:43 PM   #2110
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because he said he would love to be able to coach like that but couldn't do it.

He even specifically mentioned possession and shot attempts.

Numbers that were both lower for Liverpool in the CL final vs spurs than in last night's game

But he must have been off that night, cause he couldn't coach a team like that, he just couldn't do it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2022, 06:26 PM   #2111
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Numbers that were both lower for Liverpool in the CL final vs spurs than in last night's game

But he must have been off that night, cause he couldn't coach a team like that, he just couldn't do it!
Yeah that’s what I was going to mention also. He seemed fine playing that style, or at least not calling his players out for it in Madrid!
Old 05-08-2022, 07:43 PM   #2112
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Right in cue, Guardiola not wanting to let Klopp say the stupidest thing of the weekend

Pep comes out with, "everyone in this country supports liverpool"
Old 05-08-2022, 09:11 PM   #2113
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:

I think you are reading into these comments way too much. He says he doesn’t like that style, not that games like that can’t exist. We can be pretty certain he didn’t go into the CL final with the plan of not creating many chances.

Does anybody actually disagree with his comments? Spurs have two of the best attacking players in the world, but seemed to be satisfied with a single point even though they desperately needed three to keep the fight for CL alive.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:05 PM   #2114
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think you are reading into these comments way too much. He says he doesn’t like that style, not that games like that can’t exist. We can be pretty certain he didn’t go into the CL final with the plan of not creating many chances.

Does anybody actually disagree with his comments? Spurs have two of the best attacking players in the world, but seemed to be satisfied with a single point even though they desperately needed three to keep the fight for CL alive.
Spurs had the same number of shots on target though. It’s not like they didn’t come forward at all. It’s just Klopp being his usual self when they drop points. He doesn’t give credit to anyone, he just makes excuses and criticizes the other team. I don’t think Spurs settled for the point. We took the lead and were still trying to generate chances. We had a couple others and they just didn’t materialize.
Old 05-09-2022, 01:22 AM   #2115
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

They looked a lot better attacking then the other side of the field where liverpool kept banging crosses in the box

He also did say he literally cant cosch that way, not that he didnt like the style

Quote:
“I’m sorry, I’m the wrong person for that. I don’t like this kind of football,” he responded. “But that’s my personal problem. I think they’re world-class, and I think they should do more for the game. I think they had 36, 38 per cent possession (it was actually 35 per cent, according to Opta). But it’s my problem. I cannot coach it. So that’s why I cannot do it.
The athletic article on him today has a few other recent times where he suffered a setback

Quote:
In the reverse fixture in December, a game in which Antonio Conte’s side more than played their part in a pulsating 2-2 draw, Klopp characterised Spurs’ tactics as they “just kicked it as far as possible and Kane and Son were on their bikes for it”.

In March 2020, after Liverpool were knocked out of the Champions League by Atletico Madrid, the response was: “I don’t understand, with the quality they have, the football they play.” ...

Following a goalless draw with Jose Mourinho’s Manchester United two and a half years earlier, Klopp said: “I’m sure if we played like this, you could not do this at Liverpool. Obviously, for United, it is OK.

“It’s quite difficult when a top-class team like United has that defensive approach.”
Old 05-09-2022, 01:28 AM   #2116
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ornstein says Haaland to City is done
Old 05-09-2022, 09:31 AM   #2117
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

was only a matter of time. Dortmund have found their replacement too (Adeyemi from Salzburg). They'll be happy to see this resolved, lots of fans have grown frustrated with the noise around this.

Will be interesting to see how he does. On paper, he's not that great of a fit for a team like City, but obviously he scores goals for fun so they'll surely make it work. Injuries will be the X factor, he's been pretty injury-prone over the last couple of years. Lots of muscular problems.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:38 AM   #2118
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be nice if some things didnt just fall in City's lap for a change.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 05:44 PM   #2119
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

A failed £100m for 28 year old Kane, or a successful £60m for Haaland.

Oooof
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 10:08 AM   #2120
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Haaland’s base wage is £375,000 a week for the next five years. That works out to $156 million Canadian in wages alone and doesn’t take into account the transfer fee, agent fees, or any bonus pay.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote