Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 03:18 PM   #3601
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Agree with the Brodie angle. If there was a Dman to be moved as most likely the Flames would get a very good return, but the Flames also have some guys who may not skate quite as well as Brodie but maybe better positionally, physically and skate very very well in Kylington or Vilimaki.
Agreed. Brodie is great at skating and backhand passing. I like him a lot. But he's pretty average or below in many other aspects, especially deep in his own zone. He's a guy that will always need the right partner to be at his best. I suspect he is at his highest trade value right now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 03:18 PM   #3602
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Who the heck is saying Marner is available? Toronto would be stupid to deal him. More than likely a silly rumor as the guy is another Gaudreau.
Friedman on Oilers Now I believe:

RCN‏
@akaRCN
3h3 hours ago
Reiterates "if I had to bet" who they'd move to get a D "Mitch Marner would be the bait"
2 replies 0 retweets 0 likes
Reply 2 Retweet Like Direct message

RCN‏
@akaRCN
3h3 hours ago
More
Friedman on Oilers Now right now with more JvR/Marner talk.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:19 PM   #3603
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
I agree, Hamilton is the last dman I would trade out of this group.

- He's the youngest of our top 5
- He's our best offensive dman and has the most potential
- He's a big bodied right hand shot who can log a ton of icetime
- He skates very well for his size and has a massive reach
- He puts up 50pts a year and hasn't peaked yet
- His possession numbers have looked good if not great in the last two seasons

Why trade this? Cause he still has some defensive lapses every so often? The older he gets the less this will happen.

If Kyllington and/or Valimaki can put it all together Brodie might be the guy to trade in order to get a high end RW. It pains to say cause I love Brodie but, outside of Stone, I don't see any of the other top 5 guys getting moved.

In all honesty I don't know if I even would trade Brodie but, as I mentioned, if we have either of those high ceiling LD develop sooner than expected it would be a nice problem to have.

I like that this team is following in Nashville and Anahiems footsteps. Continually finding and developing NHL defenseman is a huge boon to help your organization continually remain competitive.

The only reason you would trade Hamilton is because he would get the biggest return. (For all the reasons you listed here)

I'm not saying the Flames should or will trade him, but if they did, that would be why.

Also, ultimately they would only do it if they felt like Andersson was going to be a legit top 2 or 3 D-man that can bring everything Dougie can, so despite Dougie being the youngest of our top 5 Dmen right now, they'd essentially be replacing him with someone even younger.

Like I said in another thread though, this discussion is premature IMO. The earliest I could see this happening would be next off-season, if it even happens at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 03:22 PM   #3604
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Who the heck is saying Marner is available? Toronto would be stupid to deal him. More than likely a silly rumor as the guy is another Gaudreau.
Elliotte Friedman said this morning he is definitely "one to watch"
Old 11-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #3605
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

If we're going to trade our stud 50 point defenseman I'd rather it be for Nylander than Marner. Why sell yourself short on a theoretical trade?

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #3606
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post

RCN‏
@akaRCN
3h3 hours ago
Reiterates "if I had to bet" who they'd move to get a D "Mitch Marner would be the bait"

RCN‏
@akaRCN
3h3 hours ago
More
There's no defenseman on the Oilers that could land them Marner. Also, the Oilers have a bad defense, so their roster would not be improved by trading say Oskar Klefbom
Old 11-10-2017, 03:25 PM   #3607
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
The only reason you would trade Hamilton is because he would get the biggest return. (For all the reasons you listed here)

I'm not saying the Flames should or will trade him, but if they did, that would be why.
The problem with the people doing that is it's not very productive with regard to practical discussion.

We'd get massive returns for Gaudreau and Tkachuk as well.

That doesn't mean it's not bordering on asinine to move one of our most coveted assets just because the return would be great.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 03:30 PM   #3608
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
The problem with the people doing that is it's not very productive with regard to practical discussion.

That doesn't mean it's not bordering on asinine to move one of our most coveted assets just because the return would be great.
Agreed, but we don't have anything that can replace Gaudreau or Tkachuk on the roster or in the system.

We do however have good depth when it comes right handed defenseman, especially if Andersson and Fox continue to develop.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:30 PM   #3609
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
There's no defenseman on the Oilers that could land them Marner. Also, the Oilers have a bad defense, so their roster would not be improved by trading say Oskar Klefbom
agreed
Old 11-10-2017, 03:31 PM   #3610
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post

RCN‏
@akaRCN
3h3 hours ago

RCN‏
@akaRCN
3h3 hours ago
More
I would do a Brodie for Marner 1 for 1 right now if possible.

Let's face it, Flames are unlikely to win the cup ATM
Also, that PP has too much Versteeg and Brodie with too little results.

Valimaki is going to be ready to start taking NHL reps and I have a feeling, given the room on the Flames roster that either Kylington or Valimaki make the jump next year.

Add to all of this, I think it's more obvious now than ever that the straw that stirred the drink on that London Knights line was Matty. But Matty made room for Marner which allowed Marner to do his thing and burry some shots.

Next year I would like to see..

Gaudreau-Monny-Ferland
Bennett - Backlund - Frolik (or trade Bennett for a high end LW youngster or recoup a first rounder)
Tkachuck-Janko-Marner
Mangiapane-Lazar-Brouwer

Gio-Hamilton
Kulak-Hamonic
Valimaki-Anderssen

Smith
Parsons/Gillies

Edit: I would do Bennett and Brodie for Marner and JVR immediately

Last edited by IgiTang; 11-10-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:33 PM   #3611
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Agreed, but we don't have anything that can replace Gaudreau or Tkachuk on the roster or in the system.

We do however have good depth when it comes right handed defenseman, especially if Andersson and Fox continue to develop.
Sorry, not buying that one of those guys steps in to replace a top pairing D-man in the near future.

Not the same thing at all. Dougie is the total package at his size, skating ability, right handed shot, and having already put up 50+ points.

No one in the system is trending to step in and replace that at this point, and making a trade on the hope they might is really short-sighted.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:22 PM   #3612
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't know if Hamilton is a guy the Leafs would target either way. Sounds like they're more concerned about finding a top 4 RH defensive guy to be a rock in the back and a reliable penalty kill guy.

They went as far as signing Polak AGAIN to kind of mitigate the penalty kill aspect.

Somebody like a Hamonic or Larsson (not specifically, just stylistically)
Old 11-10-2017, 04:24 PM   #3613
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Brodie is the player I would move for forward help.

Brodie + Bennett = can't miss scoring forward.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:31 PM   #3614
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Brodie is the player I would move for forward help.

Brodie + Bennett = can't miss scoring forward.
...I would keep both Brodie and Bennett, and look for answers internally or in free agency next summer for a "can't miss scoring forward" IF that even remains a hole going forward (I doubt it will be).

I get the desire to trade for something flashy - but damn, with Ferland emerging in front of our eyes - Jankowski and Bennett really starting to develop into a duo that could be absolutely huge for us going forward...outside of the excitement of making a trade for entertainment value, why? Just...why?

Look at our roster right now:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland --> 1st line is set
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik --> 2nd line is set
Bennett - Jankowski - Jagr --> with how Bennett and Janko have started to mesh as a duo, this line will be huge for us this year.
Rubbish - Lazar - Rubbish --> here's where our problem is. The 4th line hurts us almost every shift. Guess what though? Hathaway and Lomberg could be exactly what we need to create a pace-pushing, punishing 4th line. This could be fixed internally if loyalty to contracts wasn't an issue.

Last edited by ComixZone; 11-10-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #3615
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trading Brodie is a terrible idea. Without Brodie, Flames won't have a defenseman who can move the puck.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 05:05 PM   #3616
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post

The worst part is, we are talking about Hamilton for Mitch Marner... hardly a proven commodity at this point in his career.

If you want to make a star for star trade, you trade for an actual star... not one who has the potential but has been relegated to the third line on his team.

You want to trade Hamilton for a star, where do you get to on this list before you stop?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/d...three-seasons/
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 05:13 PM   #3617
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
You want to trade Hamilton for a star, where do you get to on this list before you stop?

Number 7 or bust.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 05:20 PM   #3618
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
The worst part is, we are talking about Hamilton for Mitch Marner... hardly a proven commodity at this point in his career.

If you want to make a star for star trade, you trade for an actual star... not one who has the potential but has been relegated to the third line on his team.

I only made it to 5, with a few exceptions mixed in there based on youth, that fell further down the list
Old 11-10-2017, 06:04 PM   #3619
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would t shock me to see the Flames trade a Dman but it won’t be until the summer unless this season falls off the rails. When I look at the organization I see more depth on the right side. Hamilton, Hamonic, Stone, Andersen, Fox. The left side is pretty solid as well Giordano, Brodie, Kulak, Valimaki, Kylington.

If the Flames were looking to put a Dman on the market and get a huge return then Hamilton is the guy. It doesn’t make sense to move Hamilton though unless Andersen or Fox look like the real deal.

Hamilton is a far superior defense asset than Larson, Hamonic and has increased his value from when the Flames acquired him years earlier.

I mentioned earlier if the Flames could trade for the Brady Tkachuk draft pick + or something like Marner and the Leafs 1st rounder it might make sense at the draft.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 06:48 PM   #3620
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This will be very interesting to watch unfold. BT has said he wants to improve scoring and he loves chasing big fish. I hope he is in on this.
Closed Thread