Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2024, 08:44 PM   #201
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I believe you claimed he was on a 70 point pace for a good chunk of the season.

One game does not constitute a good chunk of the season.
You are a contrarian about the weirdest, most pointless things.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2024, 08:49 PM   #202
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Ryan O'Reilly was under 20 goals as a junior and never made PPG. Became a pretty effective NHLer.
Ryan Getzlaf had 54 points in 51 games in his D+2 season and it worked out for him.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 09:05 PM   #203
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

O'Reilly was drafted 15 years ago and played in the NHL in his D+1 year, and Getzlaf was drafted 21 years ago. Both centers.
The fact that we're having to refer to these ancient one0per-decade anecdotes kind of shows the extreme rarity of their situations.

For every O'Reilly and Getzlaf, there's probably several dozens of Virtanens, Dachs, Mark McNeills, Brendan Gaunces, Henrik Samuelssons, Samuel Morins, Zach Nastasiuks, etc.
I'm having to use full names, because many of them faded into obscurity. Although it's actually quite rare for 1st round CHL forwards to only be a point per game after their draft year.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2024, 09:36 PM   #204
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I watched him this week live and came away pretty disappointed for a mid first rounder in his 19 year old season playing mostly younger kids. He was not really noticeable out there for me other than taking a couple dumb minors. When he did have the puck he didn't protect it well or make any decent passes, got closed down and turned it over consistently. Small sample size, so take with a grain of salt. Lipinski looked a lot more assertive and involved than him, if I had no idea who they were I would have thought he was the higher pick. Iginla's improved as the year has gone on as well, noticeably going into the higher traffic areas more as compared to earlier this season. Still seems like a reach to me to have him top 10 but I wouldn't be too sad if the flames reached a little.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 11:26 PM   #205
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I believe you claimed he was on a 70 point pace for a good chunk of the season.

One game does not constitute a good chunk of the season.
Yeah, 44 games are a good chunk of the season IMO, but we can agree to disagree.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 07:04 AM   #206
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
I watched him this week live and came away pretty disappointed for a mid first rounder in his 19 year old season playing mostly younger kids. He was not really noticeable out there for me other than taking a couple dumb minors. When he did have the puck he didn't protect it well or make any decent passes, got closed down and turned it over consistently. Small sample size, so take with a grain of salt. Lipinski looked a lot more assertive and involved than him, if I had no idea who they were I would have thought he was the higher pick. Iginla's improved as the year has gone on as well, noticeably going into the higher traffic areas more as compared to earlier this season. Still seems like a reach to me to have him top 10 but I wouldn't be too sad if the flames reached a little.
Well it was Conroy's first draft and if he's learned anything from that draft it should apply to this June which will be a very important draft for the organization.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 07:23 AM   #207
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
O'Reilly was drafted 15 years ago and played in the NHL in his D+1 year, and Getzlaf was drafted 21 years ago. Both centers.
The fact that we're having to refer to these ancient one0per-decade anecdotes kind of shows the extreme rarity of their situations.

For every O'Reilly and Getzlaf, there's probably several dozens of Virtanens, Dachs, Mark McNeills, Brendan Gaunces, Henrik Samuelssons, Samuel Morins, Zach Nastasiuks, etc.
I'm having to use full names, because many of them faded into obscurity. Although it's actually quite rare for 1st round CHL forwards to only be a point per game after their draft year.
Not sure of your point here. Mine was, there’s still a chance for Honzek to be a good NHLer. If your point is there’s plenty of mid first rounders that fail, ummm, OK? Seems like you’re hoping Honzek fails because you’d have preferred a different player. But every pick from that area of the draf seems to have some big questions marks IMO.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 08:16 AM   #208
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I for one, as a fan of this team, prefer to expect the worst of Honzek.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 08:20 AM   #209
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honzek is having a disappointing draft+1 for sure, not real doubt about that.

But really the more disappointing thing has been the injuries and other breaks in his schedule (WJC, testing) have not really allowed him to have a strong development season which is key at this age.

The big question now will be how he bounces back in the offseason, he needs to have a strong offseason of training, and then I think next year will be the most telling sign of his development.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 09:13 AM   #210
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Right. It isn’t as if the regression is a big mystery. He was injured and lost significant time. If any other player drafted in that range had the same injuries, they would have almost certainly regressed similarly. Doesn’t make it a bad pick.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 09:43 AM   #211
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are elements to Honzek's game that are really intriguing. Size, fast for that size, heavy shot, and shows flashes. The injuries are set backs that could be a pattern or could be overcome. Let's just stay positive and open minded on him.

As for Perreault....wasn't there some chatter/rumours that some USA prospects' agents were telling teams in advance of the draft that they wouldn't sign if drafted?
Old 03-25-2024, 01:03 PM   #212
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Playoffs will be an important test for Honzek. Since returning to the Giants lineup, the Giants have posted a strong record. Likely would not have clinched a playoff spot without him.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 01:44 PM   #213
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You are a contrarian about the weirdest, most pointless things.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 02:52 PM   #214
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
There are elements to Honzek's game that are really intriguing. Size, fast for that size, heavy shot, and shows flashes. The injuries are set backs that could be a pattern or could be overcome. Let's just stay positive and open minded on him.

As for Perreault....wasn't there some chatter/rumours that some USA prospects' agents were telling teams in advance of the draft that they wouldn't sign if drafted?
IMO Perrault's deal is he can't skate well enough.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 03:26 PM   #215
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

D+1 doesn't mean a lot to me when he was injured for a large portion of it. Players don't typically come back gangbusters from injuries, especially an Achilles injury. Way too early to see how he turns out.
Old 04-11-2024, 01:28 PM   #216
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honzek hurt again....it's getting a little worrisome now.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1778491130235207903
Old 04-11-2024, 01:29 PM   #217
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Right? Is this just a physical maturity thing? Put some muscle/weight on etc.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 01:33 PM   #218
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Day to day makes it sound like he's more dinged up than a serious injury. If he misses a lot of games next season then it's probably time to get a little concerned that he's losing important development time.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 02:26 PM   #219
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

He'll never be healthy again.

Mr. Glass of hockey.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 02:29 PM   #220
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hopefully Backlund can give him some tips, he used to be injured all the time in the early days.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honzek