Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default AHL realignment

the AHL has announced a realignment
http://theahl.com/alignment-p171563

Quote:
The format for the 2012 Calder Cup Playoffs was also approved by the Board of Governors. Eight teams in each conference will qualify for the postseason, with the three division winners earning the top three seeds and the next five best teams in order of regular-season points seeded fourth through eighth.

The conference quarterfinals will be best-of-five series; the conference semifinals, conference finals and Calder Cup Finals will be best-of-seven series. Teams will be re-ordered after the first round so that the highest-remaining seed plays the lowest-remaining seed.

The regular-season schedule format is still to be determined, and the complete playing schedule for the 2011-12 regular season, which begins Oct. 7, will be announced later this summer.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Should mean a lot less travel for Abbotsford overall, but for the sake of the Heat's gate attendance, hopefully the league brings Chicago in a few times.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

like the balanced divisions and conferences; eliminates the playoff crossover situation

really too bad they had a crossover for one year in the Western Conference costing the Heat a playoff spot

on first glance, looks weird having the Heat in a division with Texas/Oklahoma teams, but on second thought, Dallas is a major airport hub, so one direct flight south, then bus to Houston, San Antonio or Oklahoma for games
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
Flame19,289
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
...on first glance, looks weird having the Heat in a division with Texas/Oklahoma teams, but on second thought, Dallas is a major airport hub, so one direct flight south, then bus to Houston, San Antonio or Oklahoma for games
Ditto for Charlotte in a division with Illinois/Wisconsin teams in and around Chicago.
Flame19,289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
Murph
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That sucks, I was hoping they'd keep the same alignment for at least one season. I live in St. John's and with the Moose moving here I was hoping to get to see a few Heat games.

What's the story on inter-conference play in the AHL. Will the Heat be in St. John's at all?
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
What's the story on inter-conference play in the AHL. Will the Heat be in St. John's at all?
maybe once or twice.

the AHL schedule is very unbalanced. Last season, the Heat only played 6 road games (3 teams) against the Eastern conference
The Following User Says Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
That sucks, I was hoping they'd keep the same alignment for at least one season. I live in St. John's and with the Moose moving here I was hoping to get to see a few Heat games.

You should still be able to see the Heat play. I remember watching teams from other divisions play all the time at the AESC.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
maybe once or twice.

the AHL schedule is very unbalanced. Last season, the Heat only played 6 road games (3 teams) against the Eastern conference
I would imagine you will see the Heat head east at least once, especially if CBC has another year on their AHL TV deal and wants all-Canadian match-ups.

...Not that we'll see anything but Toronto vs. someone on television anyway, but if Abbotsford heads to TO, they might as well do Hamilton and St. John's too.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least they're in the same Division as the Barons. Gotta get the rivalry started early. I wonder if they'll do another game at the Saddledome this year?
Old 07-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I would imagine you will see the Heat head east at least once, especially if CBC has another year on their AHL TV deal and wants all-Canadian match-ups.

...Not that we'll see anything but Toronto vs. someone on television anyway, but if Abbotsford heads to TO, they might as well do Hamilton and St. John's too.
the difference is that Toronto and Hamilton were in the same division as the Heat last season, and will be in the same conference this coming season. St. John's will play in the Eastern conference.

The AHL has also reduced the number of games next season from 80 to 76, so there will likely be even fewer interconference games

Still, I agree that of the limited games against the eastern conference, St. John's is a likley opponent
Old 07-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #11
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Should mean a lot less travel for Abbotsford overall, but for the sake of the Heat's gate attendance, hopefully the league brings Chicago in a few times.

I'm hoping the Heat's more exciting style of offensive-minded play brings the fans in. Watching their games was somewhat painful last year.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote