Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-21-2021, 12:43 PM   #41
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I need to pop over and confirm but have heard the Starbucks in Canterra Tower has also closed.
Yes, it has. Tried to go there a few days ago.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:29 PM   #42
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Starbucks business plan is truly bizarre. I know they had a plan to close the old ones with seating in favor of "grab and go" kiosks. Except the one they closed in Livingstone Place was exactly that - 4 baristas at a kiosk.

Hard to tell if the one in TransCanada Tower is permenently closed or not. If so - the only place left in the north end of downtown will be the one in the Westin, which I think operates under some sort of license arrangement. That and ones in Safeway.

I just want a Pike dammit!
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:42 PM   #43
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Where did you see that? The website still says temporarily closed. Hopefully not permanently.
Just based on reading their Facebook page.... Zero updates since March, and a lot of the comments say they are done.

I hope it's not true, but you would think they could be partially open or even offer delivery only.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:56 PM   #44
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Starbucks in Market Mall near the Shoppers exit is closed as well, as well as many in the +15. It's really odd to see the decisions, they were pretty busy so it's not like it they should have eben losing money. Oh well.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:56 PM   #45
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is the Starbucks on the ground floor of TD Square right by the Ctrain entrance still open? That one used to have a lot of foot traffic...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:58 PM   #46
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

And with the rate Starbucks are closing, I better use up the balance on the Starbucks card fast, and redeem all my points before I can't find a store in town anymore ...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:02 PM   #47
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Just based on reading their Facebook page.... Zero updates since March, and a lot of the comments say they are done.

I hope it's not true, but you would think they could be partially open or even offer delivery only.
Hard to serve prime rib and their salad bar to go. Ditto for the Brazilian BBQ place that is connected to it.

Haven’t been to Smugglers in years but would love to go one last time
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2021, 10:24 PM   #48
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Hard to serve prime rib and their salad bar to go. Ditto for the Brazilian BBQ place that is connected to it.

Haven’t been to Smugglers in years but would love to go one last time
We used to go to Smugglers with my parents every fall before they would go down to Mexico for the winter. Bolero was probably my favourite churrascaria, if only for their grilled pineapple.

This is the second time someone has said their closure is permanent but there's still no official word. It's hard to think they'll be reopening after shutting down for a year but I have hope.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:53 AM   #49
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

man, i lost a lot of sweat at the eau claire Y, also had my wallet stolen from there as well. Given my perceptio of downtown these days (a lot of high rises that are msotly vacant), it is not a huge surprise that the Y clsoed.

Really mind boggling though when you think of a building like that situated on what might be considered prime real estate in mot other cities, it is sad. Will be interesting to see if the city takes the plunge and gets involved with it, or what it morphs into.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:21 AM   #50
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m curious as to the difference between Eau Claire and East Village and they fare over the coming decades. There was a time when Eau Claire was cool and trendy as well, so the community needs more than that to keep rolling over the longer term. Things like the new arena and proximity to that entertainment should help of course, but I’m a little unconvinced by things like the National Music Centre because it seems like it’s not as well attended as expected (pre-pandemic, obviously).
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:22 AM   #51
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
The Starbucks in Market Mall near the Shoppers exit is closed as well, as well as many in the +15. It's really odd to see the decisions, they were pretty busy so it's not like it they should have eben losing money. Oh well.
Is that Starbucks closed? I was just at Shoppers on Saturday and I'm pretty sure I saw people walking out of there with coffee. If it is closed are there no Starbucks in Market Mall? The south one closed because of the new Keg I think.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:34 AM   #52
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Late to the convo but RE: Eau Claire redevelopment, I managed a shop there for ~3 years between 2004-2006 and the current redevelopment plan is literally the half-baked garbage they were slinging nearly 20 years ago. Also goddamn I'm old.

It will never happen, Harvard will let the place continue to slip into a more and more decrepit status until it crumbles into dust before actually renovating/replacing the thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:25 AM   #53
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I’m curious as to the difference between Eau Claire and East Village and they fare over the coming decades. There was a time when Eau Claire was cool and trendy as well, so the community needs more than that to keep rolling over the longer term. Things like the new arena and proximity to that entertainment should help of course, but I’m a little unconvinced by things like the National Music Centre because it seems like it’s not as well attended as expected (pre-pandemic, obviously).
My personal theory is the one thing East Village has done right to secure its future is a grocery store. After a long time living near there, the one thing I always thought was lacking from a predominantly pedestrian/bike innercity life was an easy way to get groceries. I know Eau Claire has a little market, but it just seems a bit lacking.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 09:34 AM   #54
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yeah, the idea that every person and family living in a trendy area is fine with buying all their groceries at equally trendy markets and shops is false. Everyone still has bills to pay and needs that cost effective, catch all shopping experience without having to drive 2 or 3 communities over.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 10:29 AM   #55
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah, the idea that every person and family living in a trendy area is fine with buying all their groceries at equally trendy markets and shops is false. Everyone still has bills to pay and needs that cost effective, catch all shopping experience without having to drive 2 or 3 communities over.
There aren't even any trendy markets in the Eau Claire area. Only sad and run-down shops on life-support. I lived and worked in the area for years and I never had the desire to buy any ultra-marked up food from the run-down places in there like Island Foods. I like to support local businesses but there's a line when it's that overpriced and everything looked unappetizing to eat like a dusty convenience store. I really do feel for their business but I can understand why the area doesn't attract customers.

The entire area needs redevelopment but the death knell was the cluster of residential that the city zoned and allowed behind the mall and beside the old Hard Rock. I hear they object to almost any noise & large gatherings which killed the vibe of the area as a vibrant place for restaurants, bars, street parties, etc. which is one reason the Hard Rock turned into a daycare.

I think the most desirable inner city areas right now are centered around the urban grocery stores - Superstore in the East Village, Urban Fare on 17th, and the Beltline Co-op. The entire allure to inner city is that you can walk to work, amenities, and food. Living downtown but still having to drive down to Deerfoot Meadows for groceries always seemed counter-intuitive.

The East Village Superstore was absolutely packed on Sunday. I hope that gives other retail more confidence to open in downtown.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 02-22-2021 at 11:06 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 10:32 AM   #56
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
The entire area needs redevelopment but the death knell was the cluster of residential that the city zoned and allowed behind the mall and beside the old Hard Rock. I hear they object to almost any noise large gatherings which killed the vibe of the area as a vibrant place for restaurants, bars, street parties, etc. which is one reason the Hard Rock turned into a daycare.
Unbelievable that this was approved at that location. I wonder if any YYC planning folks know the history behind it? I also think if the greenline goes ahead over the Bow that development is slated to be bought out and levelled.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 10:37 AM   #57
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any idea if the Old Spaghetti Factory is coming back to Eau Claire?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:59 AM   #58
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post

I walked by there about a month ago and remember reading signs on the doors saying it was closed. My memory is that it said perma-closed, not covid-closed, I remember mentioning it to my gf, specially Open Sesame.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 12:16 PM   #59
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
I walked by there about a month ago and remember reading signs on the doors saying it was closed. My memory is that it said perma-closed, not covid-closed, I remember mentioning it to my gf, specially Open Sesame.
I've missed Open Sesame so much since Covid started. I also like Smugglers, but OS was great for a weekend lunch. Really quick, super tasty and kind of fun.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:51 PM   #60
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Starbucks in Inglewood closed permanently about 2-3 weeks ago. Not sure if it was a planned closure or a Covid casualty. Pre-covid, it was always busy in the morning/early afternoon but seemed to drop off pretty quick after lunch.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote